Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Shop & Safety

SFT Search:   

Old 06-16-2021, 08:06 AM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by milomilo View Post
According to your sig line you must be doing it right since it sounds like your having fun.
Yea well you know what they say, “one mans junk”.

Believe me, I don’t always get it right. I’ve been a work addic for 35 years. Just like drugs a person sometimes needs a higher dose to get their fix. Restoring old cars and trucks won’t do it for me anymore. I need to be in a state of “Can I really do this”. Unfortunately failure is not an option so I bust ass too often.

It started hitting the fan in the 1950's https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=nRnNDkHb0MU

A technologically advanced society would teach their children how to start a fire by rubbing two sticks together before teaching them how to use a lighter.

If you are not having fun then you are doing it wrong.
Old 06-16-2021, 08:30 AM
Elite Member

A look at the transverse beams. These will be positioned on top of the girders in the middle of the barn on one end and the 2x8 stud wall on the other.

The end shown in the picture is the outboard (wall) end. The series of brackets are joist hangers for the 5x9 channel. Here I have added nut plates with four 1/2-13 tapped holes. All sixteen beams have this feature. These can be used later to add on to the building if I so choose. My intention is to add a full awning on the front and a 16 feet addition to the rear.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	553445EB-D054-494D-ABED-B50FFCA693AA.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	209.2 KB
ID:	160724  

It started hitting the fan in the 1950's https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=nRnNDkHb0MU

A technologically advanced society would teach their children how to start a fire by rubbing two sticks together before teaching them how to use a lighter.

Old 06-16-2021, 08:35 AM
Elite Member

A look at the transverse beams. These will be positioned on top of the girders in the middle of the barn on one end and the 2x8 stud wall on the other.

The end shown in the picture is the outboard (wall) end. The series of brackets are joist hangers for the 5x9 channel. Here I have added nut plates with four 1/2-13 tapped holes. All sixteen beams have this feature. These can be used later to add on to the building if I so choose. My intention is to add a full awning on the front and a 16 feet addition to the rear.

Old 06-16-2021, 08:40 AM
Elite Member

My sandblasting and painting area. All the steel structure will be flat black. I am spray painting an air dry enamel directly on the lightly blasted steel.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	7F0D3F7A-C91E-4F2D-A70A-A98E91918972.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	218.2 KB
ID:	160725  

Old 06-17-2021, 06:58 AM
Elite Member

When posting #32 it occurred to me that I failed to drill some of the holes in the beams. These are for connecting to the top plate of the 2x8 stud wall. It was a simple thing that I didn’t think deserves a detail drawing at the time. I should not have relied on my memory.

Here I was yesterday set up for more drilling after these were painted and stored away. Lucky for me they were down side up, would have been a big job if they weren’t.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	324F79FA-354F-453F-8363-27852FB318D2.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	215.5 KB
ID:	160733  

Old 06-17-2021, 09:07 AM
Elite Member

These are the ramp connecting plates I mentioned earlier. They are welded to the wall end beam. There are two of these beams with two plates each. The two ramps will hook into the slots of these plates.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	8939C868-2A3D-4884-9AB2-1929513DC3BD.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	206.8 KB
ID:	160735  

Old 06-18-2021, 06:44 AM
Elite Member

I picked up this coil yesterday. It is 3 feet wide, .045” thick and galvanized, it weighs 6590 pounds. I did a rough calculation and determined I have enough to cover the roof with a bit left over, let’s hope I do. I have another coil of .062” thickness I could use if needed. Paid $1000 for it.

I plan to create a board and batten arrangement using thicker strips of galvanized steel as the battens. I thought about short Unistrut type of channel without punched holes. In any case I plan to lay a ribbon of butyl sealer on the joint before the batten is screwed down. If anyone has other ideas feel free to suggest.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	D877E369-D13A-4726-8B01-91EDB6ADF2E7.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	212.8 KB
ID:	160742   Click image for larger version

Name:	45AEF407-9720-4AB4-8D99-A166C487C3C2.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	192.3 KB
ID:	160743  

Old 06-18-2021, 09:39 AM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by threepiece View Post
I picked up this coil yesterday. It is 3 feet wide, .045” thick and galvanized, it weighs 6590 pounds. I did a rough calculation and determined I have enough to cover the roof with a bit left over, let’s hope I do. I have another coil of .062” thickness I could use if needed. Paid $1000 for it.

I plan to create a board and batten arrangement using thicker strips of galvanized steel as the battens. I thought about short Unistrut type of channel without punched holes. In any case I plan to lay a ribbon of butyl sealer on the joint before the batten is screwed down. If anyone has other ideas feel free to suggest.
I predict a leaky roof. With your tenacity and creativity, a roller to create something akin to a standing seam would go a long way to mitigate leaking at the seams.

Are you laying the sheeting on a plywood/OSB deck? The steel will not support itself without corrugations.

I believe in gun control.

Gun Control: The ability to consistently hit what you are aiming at.

Weldor by choice, engineer by necessity.
Old 06-18-2021, 11:10 AM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by arizonian View Post
I predict a leaky roof. With your tenacity and creativity, a roller to create something akin to a standing seam would go a long way to mitigate leaking at the seams.

Are you laying the sheeting on a plywood/OSB deck? The steel will not support itself without corrugations.
Standing seam was my first thought but I don’t have a rolling machine I could create tooling for. I then thought about hammer tooling but my forming table is only 63” long. That would require three different set-ups for each 16 foot panel. That would be slow progress and potentially inaccurate.

After reading your post I gave standing seam more thought. I have a chassis fixture that might be the ticket for hammer forming. It would require some simple forms to be made but is has good mass and plenty of access for clamping.

Yes there will be plywood decking.