Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Fabrication

SFT Search:   

Old 07-21-2012, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by milomilo View Post
You may want to let the tree sit with the come-a-long attached for at least 2-3 months so the roots can once again spread out and stabilize the tree. Nice to see neighbors helping each other out.
If DrBob's tree is anything like the tree I tried to do that with, it's gonna take a lot longer than 2 or 3 months for the roots to grow back well enough to anchor the tree.

Don't take this wrong but I suspect that tree is going to be firewood a lot sooner than most of us realize.
Old 07-21-2012, 05:27 PM

12-29-1943 to 1-17-2020
Curmudgeon emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by nctox View Post
Damn Cutter, you just had to go and mention him, didn't ya?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8i5k4I1AOEI

I spent another good hour here.
Well Tim, before you give it up, try this one; I didn't see it listed in the collection you linked:

13 The Great East Broadway Onion Championship of 1978

In 1980 or '81, my old buddy Joe Pat & I wandered into Stubb's Barbecue about mid-afternoon during a nasty sandstorm and met the proprietor, C.B. Stubblefield, aka Stubbs. I will always be glad of that otherwise miserable, wasted day.

Stubbs was a big, genial black man who loved life and loved music and musicians, especially country music. He was that kind of man who never met a stranger & once you knew him, you knew him forever.

His little BBQ joint was inside an old stucco building which seemed to me like a converted gas station, as the song says, out on East Broadway & it became a late night hangout for years because Stubbs catered to those guys. For many years, he personally delivered free meals backstage to all the country music "stars", large & small, who performed at the local auditorium, among other places. They repaid him many times over by holding late night jam sessions at the old service station out on East Broadway and he achieved no small measure of fame for his hospitality and his BBQ among the Lubbock and Austin, Tx music community.

It is that man, that community and that old service station that Tom T. is singing about in his tribute.
Stubbs was very proud of that.

So that afternoon he welcomed Joe Pat and me out of the wind & grit and sat down to share a beer with us while he told us a few stories about his friends and their good times right there at Stubb's Barbecue.
He also showed us the ragged old pool table which hosted the Onion Ball Championship of 1978.

The old building burned down a few years later & Stubbs moved down to Austin & established his business there where it still remains.
He died down there in 1995 but he will be remembered for a long time.

Sorry for hijacking your tree rescue thread, Doc but I've always enjoyed telling the Stubb's story.
He would have helped you with that little tree and fed you prime BBQ when the job was done.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	MilosevichStubb.JPG
Views:	221
Size:	19.0 KB
ID:	93536   Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	236
Size:	43.9 KB
ID:	93537  

"Dr. Chandran, will I dream?"

Just Keep Walking

"I am not a body, I am free.
For I am still as God created me."
Old 07-21-2012, 06:36 PM

Bbq may be approaching the good doctor anyway, Cutter, although Stubbs shoes are some big shoes to fill. And yes Dr Bob, that effort does deserve some kind of culinary reward!
Horrible Fright 7x10 Lathe, Mini Mill
4 1/2" grinders-Hitachi, HF
Craftsman air compressor
Old 07-21-2012, 06:40 PM
I fear I'll do some damage one fine day

Cutter that's a great story. I can just see you all enjoying Mr. Stubb's hospitality!

I'm glad you chose this thread to put in your story. Darn if there aren't more folks who've passed before I had the pleasure of meeting them!

As for the tree, live or die - we did our best for it.

Tomorrow (after my Sunday morning tennis match); I have to meet that same neighbor and prune some branches from the trees that stand between us. Then we are putting up a swing for his 8 year old daughter.

Us old guys have to keep busy!

DrBob

Sent from my iPhone using SFT
Old 07-21-2012, 08:12 PM
SFT Navigator

I'll have to add my apologies to Dr Bob for continuing the hijacking, but,,,
Man! That is a great story Cutter, and it includes almost all the elements to make it my favorite kind of entertainment; BBQ, beer, pool, country music (it couldn't get much bettern' Tom T. Hall) and reminiscing with an old guy who's seen it all then became famous. If there had just been an old dog in that tale, it would have been perfect.

I just had a little Stubbs BBQ sauce on a sammich at lunch today.

So far,,,I'm succeeding.

"I don't care if you like me or not. I'm not even on Facebook."
Old 07-21-2012, 09:00 PM

Thumbs up Fyi

IMO, Dr Bob and Cutter thank you both,for sharing two great stories.

Dr Bob, we have done the same with a come along in reverse when taking a tree down and wanting to guide the landing.

Cutter, I try to never miss a Stubbs BBQ lunch when in downtown Austin.
Old 07-26-2012, 12:34 AM
Elite Member

Okay... from tree rescue to barbecue... now, I won't feel so bad by adding my post of how I removed a problem weed, growing in the creek, abutting my yard. I, also, used a come-along, attached to a tree. I couldn't budge the roots, even though I'd doubled the pulling force by use of a pulley. So, I just walked away, after levering on the come-along, tension-loading it to the max. I returned in a couple of hours to check progress. Just as I thought... the roots had released their grip in bottom of the creek, and I was able to easily remove the mass.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Fleshman Creek Cleaning.jpg
Views:	241
Size:	104.9 KB
ID:	93672  
Old 07-26-2012, 01:18 AM

Default Tree Rescue

Dr. Bob,

Be sure to add the new title to your resume!!

Next time you need to remove a bush from the landscaping, drag out your chain, and hook it to the trailer hitch on your truck. A lot easier than using a shovel!
Old 07-26-2012, 08:50 AM
I fear I'll do some damage one fine day

Default Missing trailer hitch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soapy View Post
Dr. Bob,

Be sure to add the new title to your resume!!

Next time you need to remove a bush from the landscaping, drag out your chain, and hook it to the trailer hitch on your truck. A lot easier than using a shovel!
I'm having the new cards printed now.

Yes, Soapy I thought of that but I have a small problem:
No trailer hitch
No truck.

(I'm a durn city-boy)!

DrBob