Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Fabrication

SFT Search:   

Old 02-07-2005, 10:05 PM

Default cheap shop insulation

i got this idea at work ,they are painting the shop roof ,but it would be a quick cheap way to get some insulation in an un insulated shop.take a light weight tarp and with sheetmetal screws attach it to the inside of the shop purlins ,in my shop with 8" purlins it would add 8" of air space .dont know what the R value would be but it would have to help some ,and the tarps from harbor freight are cheap.
one day we will fight a war on foriegn soil to protect our food supply,due to the loss of american farmers.....all IH tractors f20 ,h , 504 , 886 ,& 5088 .truck mechanic ,painter and farmer . part time semi-pro beer drinker
Old 02-07-2005, 10:12 PM
Dodge City Marshal

Dead air insulates better than live air. But why do they vent attics?
Old 02-07-2005, 10:32 PM
Blankee Master

Yup might work, but the tarp would have to be fire rated, maybe not in your area if your lucky. I ordered a tarp last week to close off a painting area in the shop to control overspray etc, it had to be fire rated and I have to keep the documentation in the building-regulations!!!!!!!!

Seems like you can't fart without breaking some bylaw or enviromental item.
Old 02-07-2005, 11:42 PM
GOD of Strawberries!!!

Tom, attics are vented when the ceiling is insulated like a home. You want to remove any hea that escapes so it doesnt melt the snow on the roof which would refreeze as it ran to the edge, thats why icicles form. A well insulated well vented home doesnt have ice forming along the eves.
Old 02-07-2005, 11:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by big rig guy
Yup might work, but the tarp would have to be fire rated, maybe not in your area if your lucky. I ordered a tarp last week to close off a painting area in the shop to control overspray etc, it had to be fire rated and I have to keep the documentation in the building-regulations!!!!!!!!

never heard of a fire rated tarp ,where did you get it? ,you got the pete painted yet?
one day we will fight a war on foriegn soil to protect our food supply,due to the loss of american farmers.....all IH tractors f20 ,h , 504 , 886 ,& 5088 .truck mechanic ,painter and farmer . part time semi-pro beer drinker
Old 02-08-2005, 12:10 AM

12-29-1943 to 1-17-2020
Curmudgeon emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by big rig guy

Big Rig, I sit here & read all your tales of insurance, taxes, inpectors, laws, regulations .... I guess I grew up with too many of them old movies about how the Mountie always gets his man, the logging camps, pristine wilderness and the frontier mentality. Until just a few years ago, I had always presumed Canada would have mostly a live & let live kind of mindset. Now I have to guess that Canada must be government-employee top-heavy with too few people productively employed & too many on the public payroll, as we are rapidly becoming ourselves.
It is difficult for me to even begin to imagine how so relatively few people have managed to so thoroughly ***k up such a huge country in such a relatively short time. God knows what y'all could have done with a couple hundred million more people.

"Dr. Chandran, will I dream?"

Just Keep Walking

"I am not a body, I am free.
For I am still as God created me."
Old 02-08-2005, 12:18 AM
Dodge City Marshal

Thats interestng Sberry. I thought it was to control 'relative' humidity to keep it from raining inside the attic and to remove excessive heat in the summer.
Old 02-08-2005, 12:49 AM
GOD of Strawberries!!!

Its always to remove excess heat whether its warm or cold out and yes, hot air holds more moisture than cold air and would be of more concern with a sheet metal roof especially when the temp outside drops fast like when the sun goes down. Changing ther air out as the temp is dropping would be a benifit. Most buildings with no ceiling like storage sheds now use a light insul board under the metal to keep the air from contacting the steel to reduce condensate. If the realative humidity is high it doesnt take much temp drop for the air next to a steel roof skin to reach the dew point. Bringing in cooler air from the outside would belp. The types of problems would certainly be somewhat different in different climates, where it is hot all the time the problems would be mostly interior as you suggest, there there is snow and the temps get cold you could have both types of problems.
Old 02-08-2005, 12:56 AM
GOD of Strawberries!!!

Yes, just like running exhaust pipes from gas appliances or cloths dryers thru cold attics, both have war wet air passing thru, they insulate them to reduce the condensation, until they did that it ruined a lot of drywall ceilings,, ha
Old 02-08-2005, 01:14 AM

12-29-1943 to 1-17-2020
Curmudgeon emeritus

And then there is ghost control. Oh yeah - and farts.
You just can't have these things clumping up.

"Dr. Chandran, will I dream?"

Just Keep Walking

"I am not a body, I am free.
For I am still as God created me."