Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Shop & Safety

SFT Search:   

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-10-2019, 08:32 AM
Roving Reporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironman View Post
How deep? God knows.
I'll guess 250 ft. The water is within 8ft of the top of the casing. I tied a 12" crescent onto a 100ft tape last time I was into the well, and the tape ran out and the wrench never hit bottom.
There is 44ft of suction line on the pump, and we have never been able to pull down the water level even in the drought years.

I am starting to wonder if, because of government grants to farmers, that many wells have been drilled past the aquifer. I hear of many deep wells and very low flow. If a driller is drilling for money instead of water, he stops when the grant runs out. My neighbor 2 km away as the crow flies, has a 1500ft well drilled down into rock and has 4gpm flow. I think the water is on top of the rock.

Buddy had a well drilled about 15km away, and installed a pump and pitless head. He said around 15 thou. No idea how far down they were.
It is possible that your well is registered at Alberta Environment. Contract well drillers are required to pull permits and file reports on each well they drill. The permit info is available to the public and is searchable by land description. This system breaks down when you realize that many wells were drilled by unlicensed drillers and some were hand dug by landowners early on.

It is common practice to drill through and past the aquifer to get a debris sump and some wellbore storage. Not everyone is convinced it is necessary, but for the most part drillers are paid by the foot or meter of hole drilled.

I am not sure how one would pull 3.5" pipe and stuff 5" down the same hole. It would require reaming to make the hole larger. Might be just as cost effective to drill a new well.