Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Welding

SFT Search:   

Old 11-23-2009, 09:24 PM

Default Lo-Hi

So I was reading the bucket repair thread, and liked the evolving discussion regarding the choice of welding rod and, not wanting to hi-jack the thread, started one about low-hi.
I like Atom Arc, even now that it is owned by ESAB (they own Alloy rods). Most every code job I have been on uses Atom Arc, it welds very smooth, the flux just rolls off of it, very clean and consistent. I buy it when I see it on ebay. When I bought my GTX it came with a starter pack of 1/8 excalibur which ran real good. Too bad it was only a 5 rod pack. However, I was on a job in Mass, and the contractor provided the Excalibur and it never ran like the demo stuff I got with the machine. It was stored in ovens, temp checked daily by QC, but it started hard and the flux would actually fall of the rod, sometimes while welding. It was a pain.
Last winter/spring was an X-ray gas job and the contractor bought some cheep unbranded lo-hi. It was not very good and we kept in a make shift "oven" made out of pipe insulation and a drop light. None of the X-rays failed, but it wasn't a pleasure to run. The job I'm on now is supplied with Excalibur, no oven, just an open can, and it is welding just fine. Go figure.

post script, I use 11018 when I weld on my client/buddy's equipment.
Old 11-23-2009, 09:41 PM
Boiler God

I carry 5 different rods in the truck

1/8" Lincoln 6010 5P (pipe roots)
3/32" 7018 Atom Arc (probably because it works well and its cheap)
3/32" 6011C (code requirement)
1/8" 6011C (was a code requirement, now habit)
3/32" Allstate 275S Super (maintenance rod for burner housing repairs)

99% of what we do in the boiler business, is covered with those 5 rods. The Atom Arc is a nice running rod, was also the rod used when we did the welding test.

jack
Old 11-23-2009, 09:47 PM

I will grab 5P+ for most general welding projects. I just like the way it runs, and it's versatility. I pretty much only cap my pipe welds and do the earth equipment repairs with lo-hi. Thinking back I think the machines we used in Mass may have had something to do with the way the Excalibur ran. We were working off of those wretched Miller 8 packs. I have never liked using them.
Old 11-23-2009, 10:41 PM
Chairman of the Headboard

Quote:
Originally Posted by journyman View Post

post script, I use 11018 when I weld on my client/buddy's equipment.
I have a friend that was a weldor for ATSF railroad. He said they ran a lot of 11018. I've never tried it personally.
Old 11-24-2009, 09:37 AM
Connoisseur of Old Iron

Most of the Mechanical Contractors in my local buy Lincoln rod . The Lincoln 5P runs better then the plain 6010 does . I got my last batch of 5P from Airgas in their Radnor brand and don't really like the way it burns while putting in a root pass , but it is acceptable for the hot pass .
Lincoln's Excalibur 7018 did have a problem with the flux blowing off the rod , but the last 150 lbs I have gone through did not do that . I am still debating buying a 50# can and then vacuum packing it in five or ten pound packages to prevent it from drawing moisture while setting . I have a Foodsaver that I could do that with .
I have been running Hobart 7018 from TSC for a while at home , mostly because of the availability of it . For home use it is acceptable , but for pipe welding I do not like the way it performs from 6 to 3 o'clock and 6 to 9 o'clock . but if you can roll the pipe and stay between 10 and 12 or 12 to 2 o'clock it will make a pretty cap .
I have a pipe guard rail to make to protect my well house from being driven over next spring and I will buy all Lincoln rod to do the fab work on it .
I was looking at Airgas's website and see that they have AtomArc rod and I might buy some to see how it runs .
JMTC , Dan
Miller 10-E Wire Feeder
Miller Spectrum 2050 Plasma Cutter
Hobart AC/DC stick welder
Hobart 175 Mig
Craftsman O/A set
Turbo torch and B-tank
Old 11-24-2009, 05:59 PM

Default I like the ESAB Atom Arc

also. Used to buy the Airco 7018MR. Noticed that Lincoln bought out Airco's Welding Rod division, by the label. Mentioned it to the LWS and they confirmed it. I have never been a fan of Lincoln Lo-Hi rods. Hobart aren't bad. LWS told me Lincoln had to keep the formula on the Airco rods for a period of time. So, I continued buying them. Last 50# box of them I bought the flux would pop off while welding, slag hard to remove, etc. Mentioned to the LWS that Lincoln probably changed to their sucky formula. Yup. I wasn't the only one who noticed. They gave me a 10# tube of Excalibur 7018. Still suck. Went to ESAB Atom Arc 7018, been using them ever since.

I also use 11018 of higher strength requirements. I also have a specialty manufactured rod that is 175,000 psi tensile.

I do like the Lincoln 5P+++ rods though.
Old 11-24-2009, 07:45 PM
Big Iron

Quote:
but it started hard and the flux would actually fall of the rod, sometimes while welding. It was a pain.
That was my experiance with Excaliber.

I use MG and Atom arc
Old 11-24-2009, 09:20 PM
The Enforcer

Has anyone used Hobart's 6010 5P rod??

I was given a sample of it. Just have not used it yet.

Last bit of welding was using 3/32 or smaller on thin tubing. I should have used the O/A torch to weld it.

But got the job done. Pretty ugly looking too.

Barack Hussein Obama is our enemies favorite candidate

In time the right project will find the scrap pile, no need for the scrap pile to go out looking for a project.

http://www.swiftvets.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=24981

http://tosettherecordstraight.com/index.php
Old 11-24-2009, 10:28 PM

2-3-1940 to 3-8-2011
Nobody was faster

If you are talking 5P+, the answer is yes. It is a great rod. If you are welding over old metal or paint it burns deep. The weld is not pretty but it is really strong. I lay it down for strength and cover it with a pretty cap.
Old 11-24-2009, 10:53 PM

Haven't come across any Hobart 5P, but in the Navy we had Hobart Lo-Hi and it always welded nice. Smooth soft arc, flux peeled itself away. We also had McKay Lo-Hi, which if my memory serves worked OK. At the factory I worked at we used LH78 which I thought ran much better than the Excalibur. All those rods produced quality welds, some are just easyer/more enjoyable to run. I look on ebay for my Atom Arc rod, there is always a can of something that someone has stolen from a job site . If I can get it for 1/2 of what my LWS gets (including shipping) I'll buy it. I have been able to get the remaining rod from some of the jobs I've seen through as well. The foremen have just given it to me.