Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Welding

SFT Search:   

Old 01-15-2021, 12:45 PM
Elite Member

Default I Wanna Switch

I'm using fluxcor wire in my 135 Miller. Thinking about going to gas and solid wire. What is your recommendation for gas mix. I'm working with mold steel.
Old 01-15-2021, 12:56 PM
Elite Member

When I use solid wire on mild steel, I prefer a mix of 75% argon and 25% co2. I have heard that some like to use 100% of co2 but I have never used that so I dont know if that is better than the mix of argon and co2.

Victor Torch Set With Meco Regs
Lincoln Weld Pak 100
Giant Tech Arc 200
Miller Roughneck2E
Old 01-15-2021, 01:02 PM
Standard of Excellence

Either or. I use CO2 on all my machines, and I also have a bottle of 75/25 for when I am doing thin body sheet metal. CO2 runs me about 15 buck a fill, 75/25 runs about 85.
Old 01-15-2021, 01:37 PM
Elite Member

What do you set your pressure at with the CO2/Argon mix?
Old 01-15-2021, 02:14 PM
Elite Member

For that machine 75/25 would be fine. If you had a bigger machine and intended to do spray arc you'd need something more along the lines of 90/10. Flow rate NOT pressure should be between 20 and 30 cfm - cubic feet per minute. Make sure you buy a flowmeter for Argon or an Argon/CO2 mix. You need a different flowmeter for different gases.
Old 01-15-2021, 02:47 PM
Hey...wait...is there a prize?

For 99 per cent of what the "average" weldor does a 75/25 mix will work just fine. There are numerous other mixes; 80/20, 90/10 and even 98/2 that are available but for general welding I think you'll see very little difference in the quality of your welds. Then of course there are the tri-mixes that add a little oxygen to the mix--usually 2 per cent. They can be useful for spray transfer or some specialty applications.

The tri-mixes have the advantage of burning a little hotter which allows you get a little more performance out of your machine. This is fine if you "occasionally" need a "little" more heat but if you're consistently pushing your machine to the limit you really should buy one with more amperage.

I do not like straight CO2 as a welding gas. Sure it's cheap but you just don't get the same quality of welds. To me it's akin to having to do all your welding with nothing but 6011. It'll cut through shit and give you good penetration but your welds are always going to look like some farmer made them...

Measure twice and cut once...or...wait, was that the other way around?
Old 01-15-2021, 05:52 PM
Roving Reporter

Way back when I had a little 110 v mig, I used a 75/25 gas. The proprietary name was Blueshield 8, IIRChttps://www.airliquide.ca/8-argon-mix-size-22/product/A0464461?skuRepositoryId=A0464461
. It often seemed to make a very pretty weld with only so-so penetration. I would guess that little mig was the next size smaller than a 135.

Way, way back when I ran a large solid wire mig burning .045 wire in the booth next to the guy running .065 dual shield, both of us ran CO2 shielding gas. The welds produced were hot, very fluid, and looked nothing like a farmer weld. Much like a 7018 weld done very hot, with fewer berries and BBs. The welds were so fluid that flat and horizontal welds were it. No out of position welding as the pool ran away long before the crater filled. I'm sure this was done at least in part to make sure the weld punched through any rust, oil, and millscale.
Old 01-16-2021, 11:08 AM
Elite Member

Mind you, I've had this little welder for quite a few years with the regulator and hose stored up in the loft in my shop. I picked up a tank of 75/25 and a roll of solid wire, yesterday, and went home. Lo, and behold, the doggone regulator was right there in front of me when I went up to look for it.
Got it all set up and ran a few beads and I think I'm going to be happier. I can still resort to my flux core if I need to go outside or have a breeze in the shop.
Thanks for all the replies and suggestions. I keep watching this site to pick up on knowledge to improve my game and have learned quite a bit from you guys.
Old 01-16-2021, 11:51 AM
Roving Reporter

Forgive me the obvious..... Did the setup include checking/changing polarity? I ask from the point of embarrassing experience.....
Old 01-16-2021, 03:02 PM
Elite Member

I was running reverse polarity with Flux core but did switch back when I changed over. I get your embarassment, I damn near forgot about changing polarity, myself!