Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Welding

SFT Search:   

Old 03-10-2020, 09:42 PM
Iron Modification Investigator

Default At the LWS today...

I went to town to do battle with United Parcel Smashers and finally said fuck it, I'll get my money back and you can have the package you won't deliver.
So I was on a black mood and went to pick up a fresh Oxygen cylinder from Praxair.

I have a Miller Wire feeder with a Miller Roughneck gun. Now Miller quit making the Roughneck about 2012 if I am correct, but swore up and down they would continue to service their products.
Last time I bought wire, I asked for a 40lb roll of .035 and when I finally used up the .040 wire I had and switched to.....0.30. I had bought 035 tips for this changeover and was forced to use that, but whenever the wire stuck in the tip, it birdnested in the feeder. Somebody screwed up and sold the wrong wire and billed for .035.

So I'm trying to do the right thing and tell my guy the sad tale and he says, "There is a reason they are called contact tips. Lets see what is in my tickle trunk"

So we go into the office and he pulls up his briefcase and opens it up and it is full of Bernard shit. He explained that now that Miller owns Bernard, I can convert my gun. The last guy told me that to convert I had to replace everything from the wire rolls forward.

Mr Praxair said, here take this, unscrew your Miller gas diffuser and screw this Bernard converter in, install the tip and gas shield and you're good to go.
Here's all the parts you need, 0.30 tips, no charge for any of it.

I thanked him and I said, Too bad you aren't running UPS, and he was puzzled.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC04204.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	169.6 KB
ID:	155108   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC04203.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	183.4 KB
ID:	155109  

The virtue is always a cover for the sin. That's the key to understanding the modern left. Whatever they're accusing you of doing, they are doing themselves but more enthusiastically. And that's definitely the story of Justin Trudeau. Tucker Carlson
Old 03-10-2020, 10:06 PM
Auction Addict

Tenacity usually wins!

Liberty has never come from Government. Liberty has always come from the subjects of it. The history of liberty is a history of limitations of governmental power, not the increase of it.
Woodrow Wilson
Old 03-11-2020, 05:50 AM
Administrator

Nice.

Sent from my iPhone using ShopFloorTalk

You don't know what you don't know.

"It's what you learn after you know it all that counts." John Wooden
Old 03-11-2020, 06:18 AM
Not to be used as a Flotation Device

I like Bernard's front end (threadless contact tips) and the handle on mine has the slotted entry to allow some conduit flexing.

Last edited by digger doug; 03-11-2020 at 06:33 AM.
Old 03-11-2020, 12:43 PM
Hey...wait...is there a prize?

For some reason I never developed a real liking for Bernard guns. Just a personal preference thing, I guess because I'm sure there's nothing wrong with them.

For years we used nothing but Tregaskiss guns but for the last ten years or so we've used Tweco equipment, mainly because that's the brand our LWS specializes in.

Tregaskiss made a full line of equipment but they became very big in the auto industry supplying a large part of the robotic equipment used in the manufacture of cars. When Miller bought Bernard and Tregaskiss they focused Bernard on the hand-held guns and continued to develop and improve Tregaskiss equipment in the automatic welding field.

However you can still buy a full line of hand-held Tregaskiss guns if you want. They're just harder to get because they're not carried by a lot of the local stores. We should really be using them though since they are still 100 per cent Canadian made...

Measure twice and cut once...or...wait, was that the other way around?