Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Welding

SFT Search:   

Old 11-15-2019, 08:35 PM

Default Miller Spoolmatic 30a

I need to order a spoolgun for an upcoming job so I have a few questions for those of you that have a 15/30a. I have only briefly used one and want to have everything here when it shows up.

What gauge is the power cable? Does it just have a ring terminal/copper lug on the machine side of it? (I would like to add a quick disconnect)

In order to use it with my tb302 I will need the extra wc-24 correct? This kind of irritates me... but you have to pay to play

If I have plenty of 2/0 lead and argon hose already can I just use a 50’ 14pin extension cable $285 rather than millers hose and cable extension kit $745 Incase I need to get further from the truck.

Going to be welding on 6005 1 1/4” sch 40 pipe. thinking about ordering .030 4043 and 5356. Wire diameter sound ok or should I get .035 ?
Old 11-15-2019, 11:39 PM
Post Fiend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro Zach View Post
What gauge is the power cable? Does it just have a ring terminal/copper lug on the machine side of it? (I would like to add a quick disconnect)

I'm pretty sure it is 2ga with a ring on the end. Hooks to power lug inside a MM machine. (MillerMatic, ie MIG)

In order to use it with my tb302 I will need the extra wc-24 correct? This kind of irritates me... but you have to pay to play

I think the answer is "yes" as it would normally be powered off the 14-pin connector at the MM that supplies 24v. That is what the WC-24 does if you don't have the power.

If I have plenty of 2/0 lead and argon hose already can I just use a 50’ 14pin extension cable $285 rather than millers hose and cable extension kit $745 Incase I need to get further from the truck.

Let me look in my horde. I might have a 14-pin extension we can work a deal on. I forget how long it is--might only be 25'.

Going to be welding on 6005 1 1/4” sch 40 pipe. thinking about ordering .030 4043 and 5356. Wire diameter sound ok or should I get .035 ?

I use 3/64" in mine. Flows a little slower but thicker. You'll rip though .030"...
I have a 3rd gen. gun. It uses FasTips and does away with the adjustable-ness of the earlier versions not that you would ever need those "features". The only difference between a 30A and 15A is the length of the leads. (30' vs 15') The "A" stands for air-cooled which gives you 200A 100% duty-cycle. A water-cooled gun ("W" on the end) is good for 250A 100%. A push-pull using the 30A housing is nearly identical except there is a wire liner/housing coming from the power source or feeder vs a spool can.

This info is off the top of my head and I recommend you go to millerwelds.com and download the manual for the gun you want to get. The 30A is a heavy gun, but very robust and an industry standard. Resale is very good on them if you were to resell. I picked one up for $300 locally and turned around and doubled my money on Debay within a week seeings I already had one...

PS: if you do a little searching on Debay or CL or maybe even FBM you might find a setup cheaper than retail. A quick look in my horde and I found an old cable set for a dead (long gone) 30A. It has the male connector and wires and a beat up air hose. You might be able to find a female connector on Debay or elsewhere to make an "extension" you are seeking. I'll have to dig for the aforementioned 14-pin extension and the 2ga cable that went with the 30A cable set...

TA Arcmaster 185 w/tig/stick kit
MillerMatic 252 w/3rd gen 30A
MM140 w/o AS, w/CO2
Hobart (Miller) 625 plasma
Hobart 250ci plasma
Victor O/A (always ready, but bored)
Lincoln Patriot autodark (freebie)
45ACP Black Talons for those stubborn jobs...

Last edited by mccutter; 11-16-2019 at 12:08 AM.
Old 11-16-2019, 03:12 PM
Grumpy Bastard

I agree with McC. Always go with a larger diameter wire when you can,
you will have less feeding issues with it.

"Prepare to defend yourselves."
-- Sergeant Major Basil L. Plumley, Ia Drang Valley
Old 11-16-2019, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mccutter View Post
I have a 3rd gen. gun. It uses FasTips and does away with the adjustable-ness of the earlier versions not that you would ever need those "features". The only difference between a 30A and 15A is the length of the leads. (30' vs 15') The "A" stands for air-cooled which gives you 200A 100% duty-cycle. A water-cooled gun ("W" on the end) is good for 250A 100%. A push-pull using the 30A housing is nearly identical except there is a wire liner/housing coming from the power source or feeder vs a spool can.

This info is off the top of my head and I recommend you go to millerwelds.com and download the manual for the gun you want to get. The 30A is a heavy gun, but very robust and an industry standard. Resale is very good on them if you were to resell. I picked one up for $300 locally and turned around and doubled my money on Debay within a week seeings I already had one...

PS: if you do a little searching on Debay or CL or maybe even FBM you might find a setup cheaper than retail. A quick look in my horde and I found an old cable set for a dead (long gone) 30A. It has the male connector and wires and a beat up air hose. You might be able to find a female connector on Debay or elsewhere to make an "extension" you are seeking. I'll have to dig for the aforementioned 14-pin extension and the 2ga cable that went with the 30A cable set...
I have the manual but it didn’t give me all the answers I was looking for.

I have been looking for one for over a year but all I come across is beat up old junk that is 85-90% of retail. I don’t mind spending the money to not have any extra problems. The extra miller cables just seem overpriced to me.

The cable/air hose you have is 10 pin? How long is it?

Thanks, zach

Last edited by Camaro Zach; 11-16-2019 at 04:12 PM.
Old 11-17-2019, 01:50 AM
Post Fiend

Quote:
The cable/air hose you have is 10 pin? How long is it?
My mistake about the 14-pin and you are correct that the 30A uses a "10" pin connector with the outer 8 pins active. 2 to power the motor, 1 for sensing in a 3 wire bundle, then 2 for the trigger and 3 for the wire speed rheostat in a 5 wire bundle. I haven't laid it out but I'm pretty sure the wire bundle is from a 30A. I'll take a pic next time I'm at the shop.

Now that I think about it, the extensions I have are probably 14-pin for a TIG pedal. I had two at one time but think I sold one or maybe both, I can't remember.

I came across this on Debay LINK. A lot of times you can get a better deal by buying with the controller although shipping will be more.

MM140 w/o AS, w/CO2
Hobart 250ci plasma
Old 11-17-2019, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mccutter View Post
My mistake about the 14-pin and you are correct that the 30A uses a "10" pin connector with the outer 8 pins active. 2 to power the motor, 1 for sensing in a 3 wire bundle, then 2 for the trigger and 3 for the wire speed rheostat in a 5 wire bundle. I haven't laid it out but I'm pretty sure the wire bundle is from a 30A. I'll take a pic next time I'm at the shop.

Now that I think about it, the extensions I have are probably 14-pin for a TIG pedal. I had two at one time but think I sold one or maybe both, I can't remember.

I came across this on Debay LINK. A lot of times you can get a better deal by buying with the controller although shipping will be more.
From my searching nobody sells just a 10 pin cord. They only come in the extension kit like you have with the power cable and hose.

I think the 14 pin cord would work by putting it between the wc-24 and my Trailblazer ( I shouldn’t need an extension when running off of my mm251)

Thanks for the link but they don’t accept returns and I don’t know anyone in that area that could go and test the unit for me.
Old 11-17-2019, 02:23 PM
Post Fiend

Quote:
From my searching nobody sells just a 10 pin cord. They only come in the extension kit like you have with the power cable and hose.

I think the 14 pin cord would work by putting it between the wc-24 and my Trailblazer ( I shouldn’t need an extension when running off of my mm251)

Thanks for the link but they don’t accept returns and I don’t know anyone in that area that could go and test the unit for me.
I took a quick look for the female end of the 10-pin at Debay and didn't find anything. If you find a part number you can maybe order from miller4less.com.

I honestly wouldn't accept returns either on a used industrial device like a spool gun. Too many scammers on Debay--you would get a totally different gun back or something. I WOULD test it and show some welds if possible. Otherwise you are selling it for parts and priced accordingly. Looking at the reviews, someone claims to have bought it and it didn't work but that "review" may have NOTHING to do with that particular unit.

Give me a couple/few days I'll see what can find.

MM140 w/o AS, w/CO2
Hobart 250ci plasma
Old 02-25-2020, 08:14 PM

I figured I would update this with my findings since the job is done.

Thanks again to gimpyrobb for selling me a 30a and wc-24 I was looking for.

I added a quick connect to my mm251 so the spoolgun can be easily removed and switched between machines.

I used 3/64 wire for most of the 1/2” plate to 1 1/4” pipe and .035” wire for the pipe to pipe connections. Used about 5# of wire. And had two birds nests due to my own stupidity (bumping the wire speed)

One interesting difference is my 251 needs about 3 less volts than the Trailblazer 302 19.4v vs 22.2v with the 302. Note: the 302 was with 100+ feet of 2/0 power and ground lead.

I never got around to making or buying a 14 pin extension cable so I cut the 14pin cable on the wc-24 and since it only uses 3 pins I added some extension cord plugs and used an extension cord for my control wiring (risky but I am the only one operating this equipment) I will be ordering a 14pin plug and 50’ or 14/3 cable to make a proper extension soon.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	12752235-D2A1-41CC-89BE-573F108E4E99.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	192.6 KB
ID:	154961   Click image for larger version

Name:	7C982B7A-E754-4603-BD23-EF2E0DC0B2EB.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	191.9 KB
ID:	154962   Click image for larger version

Name:	6E3E89B4-5878-4BF1-980D-C89410F908C0.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	202.2 KB
ID:	154963   Click image for larger version

Name:	24B1C03C-57E7-4068-8E9D-ED97BCFA64A4.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	199.1 KB
ID:	154964   Click image for larger version

Name:	4CCC3666-0E37-42B3-878A-A1444ECDD173.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	199.7 KB
ID:	154965  

Old 02-26-2020, 07:11 AM
Administrator

Nice rail job.

Did you fab most of that in the shop and minimum welding in the field?

I am in the middle of a aluminum rail at a side job now myself.

Sent from my iPhone using ShopFloorTalk

You don't know what you don't know.

"It's what you learn after you know it all that counts." John Wooden
Old 02-26-2020, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toprecycler View Post
Nice rail job.

Did you fab most of that in the shop and minimum welding in the field?

I am in the middle of a aluminum rail at a side job now myself.

Sent from my iPhone using ShopFloorTalk
Yes I made them in 20’ sections and sleeved the joints with 1” pipe so they could easily slip together when bolting them up. I really hate working in the field so I try to do as much as possible in the shop.

I then welded the sleeved joints and fabbed the single stair rail in the field. A front blew through one day and really made it a pita with the wind to weld outsid.