Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Welding

SFT Search:   

Old 02-09-2020, 06:08 PM
Gold Star Dad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shade Tree Welder View Post
Here is the problem with pay. What pays $18 in FL could be $35 in NYC but
they guy in FL might be better off as the cost of living in NYC is stupid.

The other way to look at it is your shop mostly MIG welds low carbon steel,
it does not get much easier than that. The bosses are looking for welders
who are good enough. I would expect that they can replace you easy enough.

The problem is they need low value welders/employees and while you may
have more value to someone else; you will never have that same value to
them because they simply don't need it.

So look around and find a better job, once you have an offer on the table
go to your current employer and tender your resignation. Never quit one
job without another offer on the table.

I know a guy that was working for a company that would only give raises
if you were quitting. So this guy was a shitty employee and so he thought
he's game the system and resign, he did this just to get a raise and did not
have a back up job to take. They accepted his resignation and said buh bye.
I never heard where he went, but he is not in my industry any more.

So tread carefully, they might just say bye. How bad do you need the income?

In general, good employees are worth more than that... But I have high
standards.
Heed the advice of a wise man. Well said, Ron.

When I came back from a 3 year stint overseas, I had a couple jobs I was turned down for. One was a tree trimming company. Another was a nursery growing company. I has some wee experience in the Peace Corps and also a college degree in horticulture from Virginia Tech. Over qualified - I wouldn't be happy with what they were paying. They told me so.

Last edited by USMCPOP; 02-09-2020 at 06:16 PM.
Old 02-09-2020, 06:30 PM

I tend to agree with what greywynd and Keith have to say.

It depends if you have an open dialog with your company and are really a part of it or if you just work for them.

Not being familiar with the area I'd guess at least $25. And perhaps if you haven't brought it up before they figure they can get away with not giving you a raise, or out of sight out of mind.

Some folks don't understand today's software and what it can do and don't put enough value on it. If they can't see it then it isn't real. Or, sometimes they believe it's harder than it really is and will make an entire job out of it.

I've had places offer me benefits in lieu of pay, when ultimately those benefits were 1/2 or 1/4 any other industry. The others I was comparing to didn't have the hazards necessitating the healthcare. The craziest was 1 vacation day a year, with carry over of up to 5 days. Along with 3 years to be vested for their 401k. But they had nice equipment and a great team.

My last place gave people 8-12 cent raises, cut vacation and healthcare in half, but not for the white collar people. Worked mandatory 50+ weeks for years at a time because they micromanaged. 4 weeks after I gave 2 weeks notice the VP scheduled lunch with me saying he didn't know I was gone until that week. Instead of going back and deciding my own title/position I gave myself a month vacation and got a 33% raise after I made up my mind what I was worth and went to someplace else. (That company ended up firing/retiring all the good guys a year later. Even fired one to stop paying his worker's comp after back surgery #2).

Just make sure you're confident you can walk into any other shop and just start working like always. And it's possible you might be at the good shop already.
Cleaning: The act of hiding all your possessions in different locations for false aesthetic reasons so that you may not be able to find them again causing you to go out and buy items you know you already have.
Old 02-09-2020, 10:17 PM
Iron Modification Investigator

Hey tansit, good to have you back

The virtue is always a cover for the sin. That's the key to understanding the modern left. Whatever they're accusing you of doing, they are doing themselves but more enthusiastically. And that's definitely the story of Justin Trudeau. Tucker Carlson
Old 02-10-2020, 07:29 AM
Not to be used as a Flotation Device

Made you the boss in 6 months ?

That tells you allot about the shop, reference STW's notes above about minimally
qualified MIG welders.
Old 02-10-2020, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greywynd View Post
I’m a little confused, are YOU a certified weldor now? If so that’s a little different than just working as a weldor.
I am still not certified. They have dangled a carrot to pay for me to be certified but sadly it has not happened.

Quote:
Originally Posted by toprecycler View Post
Are you getting any other benefits, like vacation pay, holiday sick days, Insurance is real big cost, if you want it.

I am sure that you are in typical workforce, that good employees are hard to find. Almost as bad as good bosses.
Yes there is vacation pay and holiday pay for the bigger federal holidays. Good employees are definitely hard to find! Some people are great at welding but really need assistance in fabricating.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GWIZ View Post
How Small is small?
$18 is what you are getting but what is it costing them? they likely look at it closer to $25
what happens when you take a vacation?
When I go on vacation, the production slows down. I return to stories of guys not working and any large fabrication issues just being put on the back burner for someone else to deal with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LKeithR View Post
I think this statement sums it up nicely but the question you have to ask is: What is a good wage for a good employee in my area? If the average wage being paid for similar work in your area is twenty bucks an hour you're gonna have to work to convince somebody you're worth thirty. On the other hand, if the average wage is thirty dollars an hour then you should be--assuming you are as good as you say you are--paid close to or over that figure.

I would do some serious research and find out what other shops are paying and, perhaps more importantly, what other jobs are available right now. If wages are higher and there are lots of jobs then it's a no-brainer, you sit down with your boss, explain your situation and ask for a raise. If wages at other shops are higher but there are no other jobs available right now then you have decide how badly you need your current job.

The question of job qualification versus wages has been going on as long as I've been in the workforce (50+ years) so it's nothing new. In the end you have to decide what you're worth and how much you want to stay where you are...
This is extremely sound advice. Thank you so much for your input. My next goal is to find similar positions in the area and compare. Having a new job offer on my own table to immediately switch to would put me in an even stronger seat. I'll be looking this week for just that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by USMCPOP View Post
Benefits like vacation, insurance, 401K or other benefits make a difference. As does your location and cost of living there.

Offhand, I'd say you should get at least $5-$6 more per hour.

Edit: Stick around on this forum for 13 years like I have and you can learn a few things. It's a great resource with good people.
I plan to! I have much to learn and I'm eager to gain all the experience from veterans that I can.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shade Tree Welder View Post

The other way to look at it is your shop mostly MIG welds low carbon steel,
it does not get much easier than that. The bosses are looking for welders
who are good enough. I would expect that they can replace you easy enough.

The problem is they need low value welders/employees and while you may
have more value to someone else; you will never have that same value to
them because they simply don't need it.

So look around and find a better job, once you have an offer on the table
go to your current employer and tender your resignation. Never quit one
job without another offer on the table.
Ultimately, I think you hit the nail on the head here. I fear at this point they are just looking for someone who can run a straight bead. All the extra stuff I do is great but they don't need it, and are not willing to pay me for it. Time to find a place that will value me for the skill set I posses.

Thank you everyone for the responses so far. You've given me great advice, validation, and a lot to think about.
Old 02-10-2020, 06:40 PM
Grumpy Bastard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Expected-Outcome View Post
I plan to! I have much to learn and I'm eager to gain all the experience from veterans that I can.
Oh yeah, almost forgot GO NAVY! BEAT ARMY!

"Prepare to defend yourselves."
-- Sergeant Major Basil L. Plumley, Ia Drang Valley
Old 02-10-2020, 07:44 PM
Post Fiend

What they said above...

I'm up here in W. Volusia and have a buddy that is a union pipefitter/plumber. He was saying they are actively looking for Apprentices for the trades out of his hall including welders. But that might be a drop in pay--I forget what the apprentice pay starts at. But once you've paid your dues (literally) and put in your time, there is plenty of work available. He works night shift at Disney. I think he was making over $30/hr.

I would ask about the certifications and show an interest about getting them pronto. Seminole State College has a Building Trades division that also offers Welding courses culminating with certification, if desired. I believe the courses are held at night. Valencia, etc. may also offer similar courses. Go to the boss and say "pay for this course so I can get certified".

TA Arcmaster 185 w/tig/stick kit
MillerMatic 252 w/3rd gen 30A
MM140 w/o AS, w/CO2
Hobart (Miller) 625 plasma
Hobart 250ci plasma
Victor O/A (always ready, but bored)
Lincoln Patriot autodark (freebie)
45ACP Black Talons for those stubborn jobs...