Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Machining

SFT Search:   

Old 10-12-2013, 10:18 PM
Twice the size--half the man

Default A little off the back, please...

So I had a little job come through Thursday. Got this aluminum block shipped to me in the mail, and the customer had asked me to widen it out. The block comes with the slot milled in it, and spacers situated to hold utility knife blades in place. This whole assembly is flipped upside down and used in a press to cut thin slits in soft plastic lures (tubes).

It comes where it'll hold 11 blades, and the customer wanted at least two more blades, or more if I could get them to fit. I managed to 'fit' 16 in, but decided 15 was easier so I left it there. The piece jumped out of my vise, and has a little hickey in it, but it didn't affect anything and I didn't bother trying to clean it out. I do a lot of work for this guy, he understood and didn't care. The spacers are just 1/2" wide, 1/16" strip material. I didn't have any, so had to cut some out of plate. It's kinda ugly, but works.

I'll most likely come up with this same sort of apparatus to sell in the future, but for now I'm not gonna worry much about it.

Anyhow, as I was milling the sides out, I noticed that I was struggling to see the cut. I hollered at Dot1, and asked to borrow one of her makeup mirrors. After a brief fight and lots of convincing that I wouldn't break it, she allowed me to finish up the job. It worked so well, I decided I needed a more permanent solution and dug out a scrap piece of mirror I had stashed. I wrapped the sides in some tape to keep the edges from being so rough, and stuck it to the back of my enclosure with double-sided tape.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	tube-bait1.jpg
Views:	317
Size:	27.5 KB
ID:	110200   Click image for larger version

Name:	cuttingblock.jpg
Views:	350
Size:	93.6 KB
ID:	110201   Click image for larger version

Name:	cuttingblock2.jpg
Views:	361
Size:	91.2 KB
ID:	110202   Click image for larger version

Name:	millmirror.jpg
Views:	355
Size:	105.7 KB
ID:	110203   Click image for larger version

Name:	millmirror2.jpg
Views:	345
Size:	100.9 KB
ID:	110204  

Wade's Custom Kydex
Old 10-13-2013, 12:09 AM
Maine-iac

Send a message via MSN to akabull

Great idea! But I wonder how it will hold up against metal chips beating on it all the time? Maybe a sacrificial piece of plexi in front of it?
Old 10-13-2013, 07:21 AM
Stuff, Just stuff

Dubby,

Is that machine running the LinuxCNC program? Looks good either which way.

If you really wanted some hi tech stuff you could dig out one of your old computers put on a little camera in the back and have it show up on you monitor. . A rainy day project for sure.

Scott
Old 10-13-2013, 07:58 AM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotts View Post
Dubby,
If you really wanted some hi tech stuff you could dig out one of your old computers put on a little camera in the back and have it show up on you monitor. . A rainy day project for sure.

Scott
And while youre at it. a tilt/pan head with an X - Z travel included. :-)
...lew...
Old 10-13-2013, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by akabull View Post
Great idea! But I wonder how it will hold up against metal chips beating on it all the time? Maybe a sacrificial piece of plexi in front of it?
I thought about that, but decided it was too cheap to matter, lol. Twice a year, you can pick up the 'full length mirrors' just about anywhere for $1-5 a piece. It's super cheap chit, and about the best thing going for project material where you need a mirror.

Scotts, yup, that's the one. Linux and the CNC component of it are performing flawlessly for me. The only thing I really don't care for is that it's kind of like Windows in that it constantly has some sort of update/upgrade available. I'm sure the easy way to get rid of that is to drop the wireless connection, but there have been a few times I've actually needed to have both machines with open browsers.

In addition to the purdyin-up with the mirror, I swapped in a set of 10k rpm pulleys while I had it unbolted from the case. I havn't run a full program at the higher speed yet, but so far I'm impressed. Surface finish is WAY up, and since tooling that small is generally solid carbide, the speed is helping.

Wade's Custom Kydex
Old 10-13-2013, 12:47 PM
Auction Addict

A polished piece of stainless will hold up much better than glass.

One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors. Plato

LET'S GO BRANDON!!!!

B biggest
I idot
D democrats
E ever
N nominated
Old 10-13-2013, 05:41 PM

That might be a good upgrade for sure milo. May get a sheet done up for the future. Although this mirror is thin, a piece of stainless would certainly get out of the way more. I had to re-route a couple of the control wires just to get this to fit without drilling new holes in the cabinet floor.

Wade's Custom Kydex
Old 10-14-2013, 01:22 PM

Good to hear the higher speed pulley is working well! What size EM were you running there?
Old 10-14-2013, 02:21 PM

That one is a 3/32" ballnose stub. I used my 3/8" flat to widen the slot in that block, but had not installed the pulley set yet.

I have yet to try some of my 1/32" flat EMs. I dropped one of them on the floor and it snapped, it missed my floor mat by 2". I don't know if it would've broken had it hit the mat though I bet it would've. I dunno what sort of feed/speed/depth I should even start with on them, lol.

Wade's Custom Kydex
Old 10-14-2013, 02:32 PM
Lord of the Minions

Dub, no idea what your doing and what or how it works but it looks cool.

Quoting "The Hunt". "A man will walk into hell with both eyes and arms wide open. His dog will know better."

I never thought I'd live long enough to become a grumpy old bastard. Here I am, killing it!