Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Fabrication

SFT Search:

Old 04-30-2009, 01:57 AM
Maine-iac

Send a message via MSN to akabull

go to your local tractor supply, they sell these, saw one last week as a matter of fact. Don't recall a $$ though.
Old 04-30-2009, 02:34 AM
Lord of the Minions

Quote:
go to your local tractor supply, they sell these, saw one last week as a matter of fact. Don't recall a $$ though.
AKA', that's not what I need or want. I'm looking for those in use, fixed or modded by the owners or specifically built from scratch. As.....
Quote:
If any of you guys have the time, I'd appreciate a few specific pictures of your reversible(or not) scoops. I know these things are found less and less these days, but they are still out there in the weeds.
Rustlover thanks a bunch for your time and trouble for the taking, sizing and posting of the pics. You did well and don't think you'll hear a peep out of Cutter.

Thanks again
LW

Quoting "The Hunt". "A man will walk into hell with both eyes and arms wide open. His dog will know better."

I never thought I'd live long enough to become a grumpy old bastard. Here I am, killing it!
Old 04-30-2009, 09:43 PM
Roving Reporter

LW, Check out Johnny bucket... They are basically what you're asking for.
Old 05-01-2009, 03:28 AM
Maine-iac

Send a message via MSN to akabull

Quote:
Originally Posted by LW Hiway View Post
AKA', that's not what I need or want. I'm looking for those in use, fixed or modded by the owners or specifically built from scratch. As.....

I simply meant you could get all the measurements you need 1st hand. The one they sell looks very similar to rustluvers.
Old 05-01-2009, 03:06 PM
there has to be an answer

LW I have never seen a tumblebug other than the great posts in this thread. I poke around on Google and found some neat pictures.

The Fresno Scraper appears to have been the Grand Daddy of modern scrapers. It looks like it would be easy to mount to a 3pt hitch. A simple rope would be all that's need for the trip.

Here's a pic of an old cable operated model. I laughed at one of the sites that said you need 10 hp per foot of scraper. I figured out my Allis Chalmers garden tractor can pull 14 inches.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	FresnoScraper.jpg
Views:	254
Size:	107.3 KB
ID:	45339   Click image for larger version

Name:	tb Cat-G-TumbleBug.jpg
Views:	299
Size:	86.3 KB
ID:	45340  
Old 05-01-2009, 03:45 PM
Lord of the Minions

Quote:
I simply meant you could get all the measurements you need 1st hand. The one they sell looks very similar to rustluvers.
AKA, yep, but, again, it's not measurements necessarily I'm looking at or for. It's the little nuances/changes or the purposely made tool made by an individual for his particular needs with what he had on hand at the time. Or those old dinosaur tools that were re-vamped to accept use on powered machines/tractors.

Fer instance, the "Tumble Bug" has it's roots from earlier very functional designs for horse/mule drawn scoops, while a tad larger than the typical 3pt found today mounted on the rear of tractors, these were skidded along behind, rose up on stilt like legs into a dump like attitude, dumped and continued to roll over back to their original attitude to again skid along the top of the ground until you re-set it's angle to scoop/dig.

I have several frameworks of something that can only be described as by the above paragraph, and was used back in the day of my Great Grandfather, Grandfather, up till the 'day of the mule' was over. These frames have long since had their pan works rotted away from age, rust and weather. In Louisiana, this far South, it does not take that long to lose history to the elements.

None of these had wheels BTW, all just relied on tumbling to dump and were very adequate and effective in what they were used and efficient considering the horse power needed to operate them. In addition, with the way the system worked, if they were left inverted and the legs allowed to swing back, they were then used as a simple blade to then move what was dumped/added prior. Dual purpose. You gotta love simplicity.

Many many miles of drainage canals were dug using mules and these larger scoops/Tumble bugs while being pulled by 10 or better pairs of mule, by my family that had no access to powered steam shovels or drags of the day. As a kid, I remember being told by Nandad', that it could take 5 to 10 years of hand digging and mule work to get a few squares dry enough to plant or for pasture.

But, he would add, "back then we had all the time in the world and men folk were not afraid of work". (understand that this man died long before Kennedy took office and a man had walked on the moon. Our first B/W tele set simply amazed him as he had never seen such a thing. We installed indoor plumbing in their house in 53, but I doubt he ever used that piece of porcelain with the white seat. The outhouse was very much a part of that home till the day he died, of that I'm very sure.)

Quoting "The Hunt". "A man will walk into hell with both eyes and arms wide open. His dog will know better."

I never thought I'd live long enough to become a grumpy old bastard. Here I am, killing it!
Old 05-01-2009, 04:10 PM
Lord of the Minions

R'Bill, good find on the Fresno Scraper. While looking at that pic and doing a little more looking, I now can tell that two of the old hulks in the weeds look identical to this, see pic. The side C shaped loops are still evident as well as the altered draw bars. Wow, can you imagine how many thousands of tons of material my family must have moved with these things? Or, how many tired mules at the end of the day were fed watered and cleaned?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	#158 Fresno Scraper 1883.jpg
Views:	303
Size:	19.5 KB
ID:	45341  

Old 05-01-2009, 08:17 PM
More STEAM!!

And the horses/mules were feed and taken care of before your Granddad/GreatGranddad ate supper, dinner for all you young guys.
Old 05-27-2011, 10:16 AM
Lord of the Minions

Hell, it's only been about 2 years, but, I stopped by TSC on the way to the farm (yesterday) and picked up a reversible scoop and rear blade, both 3pt.

The blade will have useful applications around the place sitting on the back of the lil SA's, but I'm not sure if the reversible scoop will do much good considering the hp of the tractors. But, we'll see.

As the 2 attachments are still sitting in the trailer, I have yet to take pics. You'll just have to wait till later this evening.

Old 05-27-2011, 11:37 AM
Over the Top

LW,
Thanks for bring this back up. Reminds me that I've got a repair project for the rear scope that was my Dads. (Note to self: add to project list).

Got to get back working on the projects.