Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Mechanical & Electrical

SFT Search:   

Old 02-04-2021, 12:28 PM
Elite Member

Default Another Scrap Yard Air Compressor

This time it is a duplex with two Devilbiss 44643 pumps. They were powered by 5HP motors. My research indicates they are very good pumps and parts are still available. We shall see as I plan to inspect the innards soon.

They both seem to turn over and pump by hand without anything unusual to the senses. The green one has a cracked block. The crack looks fresh as if mishandled after removal from service. The blue one has about .125” of runout at the perimeter of the flywheel, the green one has about half of that. No motor starter with this.

If everything goes well I should have enough parts here to make one good... I mean great compressor unit for about $100.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	EB11CB0E-540A-4825-92DD-5F2F62C7DF83.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	203.9 KB
ID:	159441   Click image for larger version

Name:	644B48FE-BE77-4BC4-A92A-B85627A9BE5D.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	197.7 KB
ID:	159442   Click image for larger version

Name:	B2DE9C2B-45C9-435E-8038-654DE1DB1EB7.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	206.3 KB
ID:	159443  

It started hitting the fan in the 1950's https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=nRnNDkHb0MU

A technologically advanced society would teach their children how to start a fire by rubbing two sticks together before teaching them how to use a lighter.

If you are not having fun then you are doing it wrong.
Old 02-04-2021, 02:08 PM
Iron Modification Investigator

Great score. I would not worry about an 1/8" runout on the flywheel.

The virtue is always a cover for the sin. That's the key to understanding the modern left. Whatever they're accusing you of doing, they are doing themselves but more enthusiastically. And that's definitely the story of Justin Trudeau. Tucker Carlson
Old 02-04-2021, 07:44 PM

If the crack is just superficial and not really structural, some nickel welding may be in order. The 1/8” runout is not “right” like @Ironman said but will be fine if ran in the 800 RPM range. Yeah it’ll vibrate some, but it’ll run like that a long time.
Old 02-04-2021, 11:34 PM
Auction Addict

Sounds like a good job for some hot glue and quarters to balance it out.

The question isn't who is going to let me; it's who is going to stop me.
Old 02-05-2021, 04:47 AM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 460 Delta View Post
If the crack is just superficial and not really structural, some nickel welding may be in order. The 1/8” runout is not “right” like @Ironman said but will be fine if ran in the 800 RPM range. Yeah it’ll vibrate some, but it’ll run like that a long time.
It is Curious that I don’t see the word “right” in Ironman’s post. I have noticed several times before where others have made reference to text in a thread, when I look for it it is not there. It makes me wonder if somehow there is manipulation of the posts for some reason or simply a glitch of sorts.

Yes, I was actually thinking of repairing the block as I was taking it apart last night. I will show some pictures later and ask what you all think. My experience with a repair like this is almost nonexistent.

It started hitting the fan in the 1950's https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=nRnNDkHb0MU

A technologically advanced society would teach their children how to start a fire by rubbing two sticks together before teaching them how to use a lighter.

Old 02-05-2021, 04:59 AM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by milomilo View Post
Sounds like a good job for some hot glue and quarters to balance it out.
I am in need of help to understand what you mean here......... Oh! I got it before I hit the submit!

How about adhesive type wheel weights?

In reality though I believe this is not a balance issue and adding mass will make matters worse. Adding mass will primarily act on a force in a radial direction. The runout is acting on a force primarily in an axial direction.

Old 02-05-2021, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by threepiece View Post
It is Curious that I don’t see the word “right” in Ironman’s post. I have noticed several times before where others have made reference to text in a thread, when I look for it it is not there. It makes me wonder if somehow there is manipulation of the posts for some reason or simply a glitch of sorts.

Yes, I was actually thinking of repairing the block as I was taking it apart last night. I will show some pictures later and ask what you all think. My experience with a repair like this is almost nonexistent.
Well I suppose I was putting words in Ironman’s mouth, and I didn’t really mean to do that, so I’m sorry about that. I read his post and that’s what I thought he meant and just went that direction.

No I don’t think the deep state has hacked in yet....
Old 02-05-2021, 12:05 PM
Iron Modification Investigator

Quote:
Originally Posted by threepiece View Post
I am in need of help to understand what you mean here......... Oh! I got it before I hit the submit!

How about adhesive type wheel weights?

In reality though I believe this is not a balance issue and adding mass will make matters worse. Adding mass will primarily act on a force in a radial direction. The runout is acting on a force primarily in an axial direction.
Yes
I would be willing to bet that the vibration will be to small to measure as being seperate from the normal compressor pumping vibration. I know a tractor pto drive with horrible 3/8" runout is undetectable at 500 and 800 rpm. Get the slip joint splines misaligned so the U joints are not a 90 degrees and whoa, baby...

Delta, I'm sure we can guide you through a casting repair.

The virtue is always a cover for the sin. That's the key to understanding the modern left. Whatever they're accusing you of doing, they are doing themselves but more enthusiastically. And that's definitely the story of Justin Trudeau. Tucker Carlson
Old 02-05-2021, 05:59 PM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironman View Post
Yes
I would be willing to bet that the vibration will be to small to measure as being seperate from the normal compressor pumping vibration. )
Especially when considering the counterweights on this crankshaft. I don’t recall seeing any on the Saylor Beall crank.

I have not inspected the innards of more than three different pumps, I am indeed impressed with this one. The centrifugal unloader is a piece of work. The main bearing oilers on the other hand are elegantly simple.

I am also surprised by the condition, so much so that I am planning the crank case repair now and wrap this up as it needs nothing else. If it wasn’t for the contaminants I allowed on it I would not even clean it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2D47305F-34A9-400A-92A2-A773014785B2.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	199.3 KB
ID:	159447  

Last edited by GWIZ; 02-06-2021 at 02:25 AM. Reason: rotate picture
Old 02-05-2021, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironman View Post
Yes
I would be willing to bet that the vibration will be to small to measure as being seperate from the normal compressor pumping vibration. I know a tractor pto drive with horrible 3/8" runout is undetectable at 500 and 800 rpm. Get the slip joint splines misaligned so the U joints are not a 90 degrees and whoa, baby...

Delta, I'm sure we can guide you through a casting repair.
Unfortunately I’m all too familiar with NiRod welding of cast iron. A local company called PALCO made some of the best NiRod I’ve ever ran.