Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Mechanical & Electrical

SFT Search:   

Old 02-01-2021, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadgeteer View Post
Consider using a handful of these, already made with 3 AAA batteries inside, available cheap at HF. I use these all the time, and have not needed to replace any batteries, yet.
Winner winner, chicken dinner.
I like that idea the best
Old 02-01-2021, 12:50 PM
Twice the size--half the man

I've got a half dozen of those flashlights laying around the house as well. It could be another option for sure. The problem with any kind of white light--in this instance--is that the flare from the beam can jack with your eyesight. It could certainly be used at longer distances though where you can't really see anything but the target out in the field.

The COVID state of affairs is magically clearing up in the area. Nobody knows why really, but after months of rapid increases things just sorta slowed down. We've got a bit more than 1650 'active' cases in a population of 350,000. Our hospitals were floating at 11% COVID cases last night, in their 5th day of coming in under the Wheeled-Wonder's 15% restriction cap. After day 7 we're supposed to get more of our freedom back. Most of our restaurants keep a couple tables closed for show, and most of our 'bars' turned themselves into restaurants. Regular businesses just never gave a shit about capacity and posted signs on the door reminding folks the dictator said you gotta wear a mask.

If it continues like it is, maybe I can just buy a bunch of those hand sanitizing wands on closeout from the grocery store and stick 'em in the field

Wade's Custom Kydex
Old 02-08-2021, 11:23 AM

Supplies are slowly rolling in to get started on this. I went ahead and ordered a cheap soldering iron set (that came with solder, extra project wires, strippers and assorted junk) from the Amazon, 50 9v battery wire terminals, and a 720 strand LED strip. LadyD's connections at the grocery warehouse landed a case of 48 9v Energizer Max batteries. All that needs to arrive is the LED strip and then I need to clean off a spot to actually do the work and figure out how the electricity is supposed to flow through the cutoffs to make them usable again.

Wade's Custom Kydex
Old 02-08-2021, 02:32 PM

Cool, I'm interested in seeing what you end up with.
Old 02-09-2021, 01:21 PM

I am neither mathematician or scientist. I have figured out that it works, and will work for my needs. My question now is how long will it take to drain the battery? I figure my match will be 3-4.5 hours, depending how many shooters I have show up. I don't understand current drain and trying to use the internet for answers just keeps going in circles.

So, the easiest way I know how to figure out the answer is to plug one section in and run it until it turns off. As of this writing I'm at a bit over 6.5 hours. Even then it will on yield an educated guess, because the single 3-light section doesn't put out enough light to be seen very far out. A 15 bulb string works pretty well though.

1) The strips as shipped from Amazon. Forty meters worth, 720 total bulbs split between two 20m strips. The box also included the 12v wall transformer, splitter, and a bunch of little mounting clips that seem stupid because there is sticky back on the strip itself. Whatever.

2) The strips can easily be cut in 3-bulb sections and function. There is a perfectly sized copper "half tab" that is created when you use scissors to cut. The 9v battery connectors take little effort to solder to the tabs. No other work needs to be done, just hook + and - to their marked tabs and go on. Plug in the battery and you have light.

3) Five sections are brighter than 1 section. My assumption is that it also draws 5x the power and will drain the battery equally as fast. Really it's about the minimum length I'll be able to use and still see the targets at any distance.

4) The only florescent object I could find was Earl's favorite ball (center/middle), sitting on a pallet with the 15 light strand pointed generally in it's direction. LadyD's HF solar lights and the neighbor's house over the fence give a little comparison or brightness. I expect to be able to place these within 2' of the targets. A "miss" of 2' is a lot for this sport. More worried about the bullets coming back or a piece of spall hitting them.

Now I need to actually take them out to 100yd distance and see if I can see the things on the real targets. Naked eye viewing will be different than looking through a scope, but I'd like them to be visible enough that we can see them from the line by eye. May need to up the bulb count per target to achieve that.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ledstrips.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	62.2 KB
ID:	159473   Click image for larger version

Name:	led-1.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	55.8 KB
ID:	159474   Click image for larger version

Name:	Led-2.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	17.2 KB
ID:	159475   Click image for larger version

Name:	led-3.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	157.9 KB
ID:	159476  

Wade's Custom Kydex
Old 02-10-2021, 03:44 AM
SFT Historian

It appears they are powering led's in groups of 3 with the 12volt supply.

the first thing would be compare the brightness of a 3 group.
compare with the 9 volt battery
then connect the 12 volt supply.

if the 3 led's are considerably brighter with 12 volts we can adjust the value of the resistor (black square thing) and get the same brightness using the 9 volt battery.

square black thing is likely a surface-mount resistor you can note the number on it as a value or measure its resistance with a meter
likely the value will be under 1000 ohms.
(safety note: do not measure resistance when the circuit is powered ... the meter may be damaged)

If you want to take it to the next step
we can figure out the amp draw.

we need the value of the resistor
and
measure the amount of dc voltage across the resistor.
using the 12 volt supply will tell us what the manufacture set the current to.

then
with the 9 volt battery will tell us how much less you are powering .

Example
if the voltage is 3 volts
and the resistance is 400 ohms
3 / 400 = .0075 amps or 7.5 milliamps.
Old 02-10-2021, 10:09 AM

Maybe I can figure all that out if I can get the boy to bring my meter back home. I remember when I used to borrow all my dad's tools from his shop, but I only lived next door so it wasn't a thing. MY kid has to up the game by getting his own shop 12 miles away from my house.

I managed to run the 3-light string a total of 18 hours yesterday, and it is back on this morning going for more. The battery still had enough juice in it to power up the 15 light string before I swapped it back. I had read that there may be a point that the battery wouldn't have enough oomph to "start" the system.

Wade's Custom Kydex
Old 02-10-2021, 09:20 PM
Post Fiend

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubby View Post
Maybe I can figure all that out if I can get the boy to bring my meter back home.
I say you go to a local store and buy another one for $20 or so. Give one to the boy. WhoTF only has ONE DVOM nowadays?

TA Arcmaster 185 w/tig/stick kit
MillerMatic 252 w/3rd gen 30A
MM140 w/o AS, w/CO2
Hobart (Miller) 625 plasma
Hobart 250ci plasma
Victor O/A (always ready, but bored)
TA 95 lunchbox w/tig
45ACP Black Talons for those stubborn jobs...
Old 02-11-2021, 04:23 AM
SFT Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubby View Post
I had read that there may be a point that the battery wouldn't have enough oomph to "start" the system.
yes key word "start"
diodes have a forward-voltage that has to be achieved before a diode will conduct (turn on).
If you measure the voltage across one led that will be the required forward-voltage for that one diode.

In your case one led may need 1.8 volts
three in series 1.8 x 3 = 5.4 volts.
5.4 volts may be the minimum for the three led's.
Old 02-11-2021, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mccutter View Post
I say you go to a local store and buy another one for $20 or so. Give one to the boy. WhoTF only has ONE DVOM nowadays?
In my infinite wisdom, I put all my electrical 'junk' into a 5 gallon bucket during the last cleanup and labeled it so I could easily find it. I gathered up ALL my meters and put them in a zipper bag that was included with some other product--then stuck them in the bucket. While it is true that I am "that guy" on the 'net that will find any excuse to not actually break out a meter when it is easily the best answer, this is not one of those occasions. I called him yesterday and asked for at least one of them to be returned.

He did come by last night--forgot the meters--but brought us 4 bundles of firewood because he was worried about us losing power and being cold during this incoming storm. Win some, lose some.

Wade's Custom Kydex