Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Machining

SFT Search:   

Old 01-26-2021, 03:06 PM
SFT Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShawnR View Post
What do you mean? Too small above a 5/16? Maybe the appearance of the proportions are out. I have a Tap and Die set (cheap kit) that goes up to 1/2" and the one in the photo is probably 50% larger. than the tap handle in it.
When I started making it, I said "Holy crap, when am I going to use this?"

Thanks
Shawn
I seen a few home made ones and people have bent the handles, I'm thinking the handles will need to be hardened some what or they will bend.
Old 01-26-2021, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironman View Post
I would make the notch in the jaws sized so that anything under a 3/8" tap would not be gripped. It will be hard to judge your force and smaller taps break easily with too much leverage.
mmmm...good point. But then I would seldom ever use it! It was one of the class project options. I may have to find bigger projects I guess!

Thanks
Shawn

Last edited by ShawnR; 01-27-2021 at 08:17 AM.
Old 01-27-2021, 06:03 PM

Question

Finished up the body. Need to modify the cutter holder. Here is the original

http://bedair.org/Ball/ball3.html

My inserts are slightly wider than 0.500" so will not be ideal but will be OK. I could get more cutters but just dealing with what I have in stock right now. Or I could use a high speed bit. I have 3/16 in round and square. I could drill a hole, at an angle (incline?) so the tool bit goes through the post (like cutters) and the cutting edge is on center. My problem is that I have already machined the top of the post to center height so that is why I think I would have to come up at an angle and then shape the bit accordingly..does that work?

Or would you go with the carbide insert?

Any input?
Thanks
Shawn
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Body and cutter.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	92.5 KB
ID:	159324   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cutter options.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	73.0 KB
ID:	159325  

Last edited by ShawnR; 01-27-2021 at 06:11 PM.
Old 01-27-2021, 11:30 PM
I can dig it

It looks like your piece that mounts the tool is a seperate part. Why not try the carbide, and if you find it doesn't work as you hope, then make a new holder for HSS or whatever tool that will work.
Old 01-27-2021, 11:44 PM
Roving Reporter

At the stage you're at now, I'd be inclined to mill a recess for the insert and be done.

If and when I build one, I'd think seriously about mounting a second insert opposite the one shown. It would make cutting spherical sockets easier to set up. That way, you could turn matching ball and socket pairs for whatever....

Have a look about 4:40 here to see what I mean. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=hggimhyKJfk

Last edited by camdigger; 01-27-2021 at 11:52 PM.
Old 01-28-2021, 08:51 PM
Iron Modification Investigator

I made one like that years ago, and used some setscrews with the pin on the end to engage a groove milled in the side. The bar slide back and forth on these 'drawer slides'

I also made one of these using a boring head: which is good for repeatable balls, if you are making a few the same size.

The virtue is always a cover for the sin. That's the key to understanding the modern left. Whatever they're accusing you of doing, they are doing themselves but more enthusiastically. And that's definitely the story of Justin Trudeau. Tucker Carlson
Old 01-28-2021, 09:29 PM

Cam, I took your advice. I had pretty much come to that reasoning too. And, as greywynd suggested, not a big deal to make that part again, (even for me...) if I need to.

I had a few hiccups today but overall, pretty happy with it. I cannot seem to master layout sometimes so some of my screw holes for the plate had to be fudged but the screw for holding the insert in worked well. I have a capscrew but figure the countersunk one might hold better, even if it is less hard. I might try the 6-32 cap screw but it is not a zero tolerance fit through the insert so that is why I went with the countersunk general purpose machine screw.

In the original plans I had (Bedairs), he bottomed the screw holding the base to the body (his terms) to secure it, but when I worked on this last (been a several years long project), I drilled the hole through. Of course, when I rotated the body, the screw loosened so I hacked off another screw, cut a slot in it, and inserted it from the top as a stop screw. I can adjust for a tight fit that way. Thought that was a good save (patted myself on the back for that one...;-) ) After lubing the base, it worked well.

The next issue was that the cutter seemed to be rubbing on the face instead of the cutting edge. I would have thought that the circumference of the work would have naturally prevented that but it became an issue. I probably just grabbed some random cutter back when I started on the project but now think I need one with a angle on it. I know little on the inserts but will go research them now. I had to grind the face a bit (yes, of the insert...) but this whole project is an educational experience (as all of my projects tend to become). I am wondering about modifying the holder a bit to cause a negative rake or order better (more suitable) cutter bits next time I place an order. A little more research on my part coming up. I was anxious to post cause I made round things....;-)

As an FYI, here is the insert I am using. Would it be your first choice or did I grab the wrong one? https://www.kbctools.ca/products/search/1-2442-7058

Then there will be a bit of a learning curve to using it. The video cam posted shows the set up but until I actually started making chips, it did not set in.

And then, when I drilled the hole for the handle, I only had a starting tap, so went too deep for the diameter of ball I ended up with....yada yada...but basically, it looks like it will work for me.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	milling for insert.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	96.5 KB
ID:	159344   Click image for larger version

Name:	milling for insert 2.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	103.2 KB
ID:	159345   Click image for larger version

Name:	stopscrew.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	93.7 KB
ID:	159346   Click image for larger version

Name:	Insert installed.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	108.9 KB
ID:	159347   Click image for larger version

Name:	First cut.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	119.7 KB
ID:	159348  

Last edited by ShawnR; 01-28-2021 at 09:40 PM.
Old 01-28-2021, 09:51 PM
Roving Reporter

Insert selection is a complicated minefield.

Personally, I would look for a positive rake insert. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rake_angle The KBC data doesn't seem to include that detail. Positive rake inserts are commonly used for softer materials, but cut far more freely and are better suited to light cuts and smaller machines.

My 0.02$ CDN, YMMV.
Old 01-28-2021, 10:32 PM
I can dig it

Did you end up with the edge of the insert on the centreline of the lathe/part? Maybe a missed calculation has you too high?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-31-2021, 10:20 AM
Elite Member

Since the ball turner morphed into a tap handle I gave up. Just went back to see if anything happened to the orig subject. :-) Let me know when you get that ball turner to do some like these. :-)
...lew...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Balls 1  Copy.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	90.1 KB
ID:	159390   Click image for larger version

Name:	Balls 2 ..jpg
Views:	42
Size:	57.8 KB
ID:	159391  

Tags