Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Machining

SFT Search:   

Old 01-24-2021, 11:52 AM

Default Another ball turner

Entering retirement, my goal for the last couple of months has been to finish up projects that I either started or wanted to do for a while, meanwhile cleaning the shop a bit. I have been thinking about a ball turner project I started several years ago and dug it out last night. I also found a tap handle project that I started while taking a night course in introductory machining but ran out of time to finish when the course ended.

Before I posted a thread on the ball turner, cause I am sure I will have questions, I did a search for ball turner on this site and found this one. Cutter made the exact same one, (which answered another question I had as to where I got the plans. I frequented Steve Bedair's site back then. He was, as Cutter states, a good craftsman and nice guy. )

Cutters thread https://www.shopfloortalk.com/forums...ad.php?t=20687

Thanks cutter for the great write up! When I get to work, I am sure your input will be utilized!

My stage below. The picture shows both projects but for now, I am going to focus on the turner. I think the square block in the box is actually for the tap handle
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Ball turner parts.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	78.3 KB
ID:	159270  

Last edited by ShawnR; 01-24-2021 at 11:54 AM. Reason: more info
Old 01-25-2021, 05:10 AM
SFT Historian

The ball turner looks like a good project, not sure about the Tap handle above a 5/16" tap.
Old 01-25-2021, 09:37 AM
Elite Member

I just went back and read Cutters thread. I "invented" a way to do an "almost" full ball in one setting. It involves offsetting the tool bit. I think I've posted some of the info. several times on various BBs but don't remember if I've ever done so here. I have many pictures, probably hundreds, of that sort of stuff I did at the highschool shop over the 20 years I spent there as a volunteer. So if anyone is really interested I may try to collect all the stuff regarding Ball/radius turning in a folder and make it available via a "File Transfer" place. I just looked and there is over a Gig of stuff from the high school with 40 some Meg of the Ball/Radius turner.
...lew...
Old 01-25-2021, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GWIZ View Post
The ball turner looks like a good project, not sure about the Tap handle above a 5/16" tap.
What do you mean? Too small above a 5/16? Maybe the appearance of the proportions are out. I have a Tap and Die set (cheap kit) that goes up to 1/2" and the one in the photo is probably 50% larger. than the tap handle in it.
When I started making it, I said "Holy crap, when am I going to use this?"

But, it is a project. It was one of the options for the course. I will take a photo with the other one later. That will become another thread. I need input already on where to go next.

Thanks
Shawn
Old 01-25-2021, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lew Hartswick View Post
I "invented" a way to do an "almost" full ball in one setting. It involves offsetting the tool bit..... So if anyone is really interested I may try to collect all the stuff regarding Ball/radius turning in a folder and make it available via a "File Transfer" place. I just looked and there is over a Gig of stuff from the high school with 40 some Meg of the Ball/Radius turner.
...lew...
That sounds interesting...

Thanks
Shawn
Old 01-26-2021, 08:49 AM

I made some progress yesterday. Found out that Chinese tool stuff can be frustrating....but causes me to check tools as well as set up.

This one is slightly different than Cutters as it has an insert for the cutter. Here is the photo of the set up to drill the holes in the body to hold the tool holder. I did not get to drill them yet as I was having a brain fart as to why the center did not look like center. I realized that i used an edge finder on one side of the body but then had to move the body the other way to get it under the spindle and my math went the other way. I know I must be learning after all these years cause the old me would have drilled before double checking.

And the insert holder part is coming up. My question for today is how do I cut the angles (bevels?) under the tool bit? I am thinking that to just clamp it in a vice is not enough, or is it? I have 123 blocks. Should I use them to clamp the piece, to the table, at the angle I need? Or....? I don't have sine bars. Or clamp it in the vice and rotate it to the angle...came up with that as I was typing.. Suggestions appreciated.

Thanks
Shawn

Here is the comparison in tap wrenches I mentioned earlier.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Body.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	199.3 KB
ID:	159300   Click image for larger version

Name:	Insert holder.JPG
Views:	67
Size:	11.7 KB
ID:	159301   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tap wrench comparison.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	201.9 KB
ID:	159302  
Old 01-26-2021, 09:47 AM
Auction Addict

Tapping handle looks good so far.

The question isn't who is going to let me; it's who is going to stop me.
Old 01-26-2021, 12:36 PM
Iron Modification Investigator

This thread would look good in the Machining forum

The virtue is always a cover for the sin. That's the key to understanding the modern left. Whatever they're accusing you of doing, they are doing themselves but more enthusiastically. And that's definitely the story of Justin Trudeau. Tucker Carlson
Old 01-26-2021, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironman View Post
This thread would look good in the Machining forum
I kinda wondered that when I started it. If the moderators moved it, ok with me.
Thanks
Old 01-26-2021, 12:39 PM
Iron Modification Investigator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShawnR View Post
When I started making it, I said "Holy crap, when am I going to use this?"

But, it is a project. It was one of the options for the course. I will take a photo with the other one later. That will become another thread. I need input already on where to go next.

Thanks
Shawn
I would make the notch in the jaws sized so that anything under a 3/8" tap would not be gripped. It will be hard to judge your force and smaller taps break easily with too much leverage.

The virtue is always a cover for the sin. That's the key to understanding the modern left. Whatever they're accusing you of doing, they are doing themselves but more enthusiastically. And that's definitely the story of Justin Trudeau. Tucker Carlson

Tags
ball turner