Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Fabrication

SFT Search:   

Old 01-21-2021, 06:44 PM

Default Ok Boomer

I recently got a bid for $162,000 to remove and replace the 12 HVAC units on one of our buildings. After I stood back up off of the floor I look more closely at the bid and noticed that a good portion of the bid was removal and replacement, permitting for the 90 ton crane and several crews to support the whole operation.
I then decided to build my own and have it up on the roof for whatever I want to lift in the future. I secured some good donations of steel and was able to build the whole thing with scrap iron. I had to pay for a winch and to have the whole thing powder coated. But it really came out well and I am quite proud of the results. I have it bolted to the parapet that is poured solid and reinforced with rebar. I also have gusset bars bolted 8 feet out to the adjacent wall that are also poured solid.
In the attached pics the tan crane is the permanent crane, the taller brown crane is just the temporary lifting crane to get the main unit into place.

I will now be able to pick the HVAC units up and swing them over the edge and drop them down to a waiting trailer. Then pick up the new one and swing it back onto the roof.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	crane 1 (2).jpg
Views:	235
Size:	90.3 KB
ID:	159230   Click image for larger version

Name:	crane 2.jpg
Views:	223
Size:	43.5 KB
ID:	159231  

"Yes, we did produce a near perfect Republic. But will they keep it? Or will they in their enjoyment of plenty, lose the memory of freedom? Material abundance without character is the surest way to destruction. Indeed, I tremble for my country when I reflect that God is just."

Thomas Jefferson

If you spent 1 million dollars every day from the time Christ walked the earth until now, you still would not have spent 1 trillion dollars!
Old 01-21-2021, 06:47 PM
Chairman of the Headboard

Location: Northwest Illinois,.. the land of Fat Greasy Pancakes

Nicely done, I imagine you can get allot done with $162K... Id have gone the same route, or alternative route, or bought a crane,.. or... !
Old 01-21-2021, 10:16 PM
Iron Modification Investigator

That's an excellent strong arm crane, I see the electric winch on it.

So the crane was only to lift it in place and then you sent home away? Then you can test it out.

The virtue is always a cover for the sin. That's the key to understanding the modern left. Whatever they're accusing you of doing, they are doing themselves but more enthusiastically. And that's definitely the story of Justin Trudeau. Tucker Carlson
Old 01-22-2021, 01:09 PM

Last night we took the small loading crane off of the roof and I was able to use the big crane on its maiden voyage to lower it down 30 feet to the ground. The winch unfortunately is a 12 volt unit, so I will have to haul a battery up to the roof each time I use it or have one resident up there in the hot sun baking with a small solar trickle charger on it. I would have liked to buy a 110 volt winch but they were pretty expensive and the Warn was readily available.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Crane 3.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	57.2 KB
ID:	159238   Click image for larger version

Name:	Crane gusset detail.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	75.4 KB
ID:	159239   Click image for larger version

Name:	Crane knuckle detail.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	72.2 KB
ID:	159240   Click image for larger version

Name:	Crane main anchor detail.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	98.5 KB
ID:	159241   Click image for larger version

Name:	Crane boom end detail.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	35.9 KB
ID:	159242  

"Yes, we did produce a near perfect Republic. But will they keep it? Or will they in their enjoyment of plenty, lose the memory of freedom? Material abundance without character is the surest way to destruction. Indeed, I tremble for my country when I reflect that God is just."

Thomas Jefferson

If you spent 1 million dollars every day from the time Christ walked the earth until now, you still would not have spent 1 trillion dollars!
Old 01-22-2021, 01:32 PM

Several details to note:
The donations I secured for this project include the solid 1.5" 4041 chromoly main shaft with grease fittings, and the 3/4" chromoly pin for the nose pully. Since the wall has rebar through out and there is no real way to determine exactly where it is in the wall, I took my best guess from past experience and positioned the anchor plate where I thought I would miss the reinforcement. I got 7 out of the 8 holes through with only one having to be offset to miss the bar. I figured 7 anchors was pretty secure, and I felt better about deleting the anchor bolt rather than drilling through the bar and compromising the reinforcement. I had to cut a stout offset washer for the one anchor bolt to prevent tri loading the anchor. Also the back side of the wall anchors have a 1/2" plate that ties the anchors together across the grout line. The main mast of the crane is seamless 1/2" wall tubing that is way over kill for what it will be used for but receiving donations you take what you get, and this way I do not ever have to worry about "is it strong enough?"
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Crane 4 (2).jpg
Views:	123
Size:	80.5 KB
ID:	159243   Click image for larger version

Name:	Crane main anchor outside detail.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	55.8 KB
ID:	159244   Click image for larger version

Name:	Crane gusset anchor detail.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	146.9 KB
ID:	159245   Click image for larger version

Name:	Crane offset anchor washer detail 2.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	57.8 KB
ID:	159246  

Thomas Jefferson

Old 01-22-2021, 02:57 PM
The Real Deal

Mighty fine looking unit!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 01-31-2021, 05:40 PM

Looks very nice, but it doesn't look like you have a whole lot of clearance over the parapet wall.

By the time you factor in the rigging of the mechanical equipment you plan on raising and lowering, how tall of a unit will you actually be able to lift over the parapet?
Old 02-09-2021, 08:22 PM

I am going to construct a load bearing spreader bar that will lift the rigging right up to the pully. The reality is that the taller the crane that more leverage it has on the wall. I wanted to keep the stresses to a minimum by only making the crane as tall as it needed to be. I have about 65" clearance above the wall and the HVAC units are about 44" at the tallest.

Thomas Jefferson

Old 02-10-2021, 04:04 AM
Director of Languages

I hate to be that guy, but are you sure that wall is solid?

I know I'm 5000 miles away on the internet, and it can be hard to judge scale but that looks like 6 inch blocks from here.

Where I come from a block wall is not a solid concrete wall. solid concrete is poured. A block wall is not something I'd hang much of a crane out over the top of

If it is a block wall I'd be inclined to go a lot further on the mounting. a heavy strap running across the full inside face of the wall which would wrap around the forward corner to the right and the rearward corner to the left (when standing on the roof looking at the crane) ideally that strap would tie into some different courses of block too so as to not put all the stresses in a single joint.

I'd have no qualms about your crane, it's a fine piece of fabrication, but the wall it's bolted to gives me the willys. if weight shifted on it's rigging or started to sway the amount of leverage on that wall rises significantly.
Old 02-10-2021, 09:54 AM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnBoy View Post
I hate to be that guy, but are you sure that wall is solid?
I
I thought the same. It’s a dandy crane attached to substandard wall. If possible I might have buried it into a concrete footing.

The winch and rope look like they are rated for about 8000 lbs? If it is that may be far too much load for that wall, you may not be around to supervise the hoisting operation. It just doesn’t look good to me.

As a countermeasure you might think about a temporary attachment. Struts could be made that bolt to additional holes in your mounting brackets. These could splay outward at 45 degrees and contact the floor 3 or 4 feet away from the column. You could also add small screw jacks (1/2” bolts with plate welded to the head) to the feet to preload the struts a bit.

It started hitting the fan in the 1950's https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=nRnNDkHb0MU

A technologically advanced society would teach their children how to start a fire by rubbing two sticks together before teaching them how to use a lighter.

If you are not having fun then you are doing it wrong.

Last edited by threepiece; 02-10-2021 at 10:17 AM.