Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Mechanical & Electrical

SFT Search:   

Old 01-22-2021, 03:30 PM
SFT Historian

Measure the DC amps under load should give you a better idea than the manual.

Get your self an AMP clamp meter
BE sure its one that can measure "DC amps with the clamp jaws" and I "guess" a range about 250 amps.

Most amp-clamps are AC only so double check!!!

Last edited by GWIZ; 01-22-2021 at 03:41 PM.
Old 01-23-2021, 07:55 AM
Elite Member

I'm sure you have thought of this, but the last thing you need is to fry the motor when the load is 3/4 of the way up. What's the recovery plan then? Man basket and rental crane? Erect scaffolding under the load?

I believe in gun control.

Gun Control: The ability to consistently hit what you are aiming at.

Weldor by choice, engineer by necessity.
Old 01-23-2021, 03:32 PM
Not to be used as a Flotation Device

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barn Owl View Post
I do have a nice Ingersol Rand compressor, but I fear the 80 gallon tank would not be enough air in reserve to lift it effectively.
I like the bigger 1 ton hoist you found in my area, thanks.
I think it will work fine.
Why does everyone list their compressor as "tank size" ?

Assume a 5 hp t-30 two stage unit ?

remember, going down, it won't take much pressure.

And your duty cycle is very low, you'll hoist one up, move it around, stage the one going down under the crane, etc.
Old 01-23-2021, 06:07 PM
Something's Fishy ...

A hoist has a brake that activates when the power is removed.
winches normally do not. Winches come it two varieties worm gear reduction which may prevent the load driving an unpowered winch backwards and planetary reduction which is much easier to drive in reverse. I almost lost a vehicle when the battery died at the worst possible time on a Warn planetary style winch.
The vehicle was on a very steep slope and the motor was off to prevent oil starvation damage. After that I invested in a much heavier Braden worm drive winch.
Old 01-23-2021, 07:33 PM
Iron Modification Investigator

The new ones have brakes on. lt will release during pull only on mine. I have one and gave one to my son, planetary drive and brake. They must have been aware of runaway potential of planet systems.

The virtue is always a cover for the sin. That's the key to understanding the modern left. Whatever they're accusing you of doing, they are doing themselves but more enthusiastically. And that's definitely the story of Justin Trudeau. Tucker Carlson
Old 01-24-2021, 06:26 PM

I want to see the youtube video of this debacle when it occurs - lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by arizonian View Post
I'm sure you have thought of this, but the last thing you need is to fry the motor when the load is 3/4 of the way up. What's the recovery plan then? Man basket and rental crane? Erect scaffolding under the load?
Old 01-26-2021, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by digger doug View Post
I think it will work fine.
Why does everyone list their compressor as "tank size" ?

Assume a 5 hp t-30 two stage unit ?

remember, going down, it won't take much pressure.

And your duty cycle is very low, you'll hoist one up, move it around, stage the one going down under the crane, etc.
I listed the tank size because that describes the air in reserve. I could have a 20 hp compressor on a 5 gallon tank and the compressor would run continuously. Typically compressors cannot put out high pressure air if the tank is empty, it is only a fraction of what the compressor can deliver when fully pressurized.
I do not know what the air requirements for the chain fall or the cable hoist are so I referenced the tank size for those who do. I have a pneumatic hoist at the school where I teach but we also have two 200 gallon tanks supplying them and we never have an issue with not enough air.

"Yes, we did produce a near perfect Republic. But will they keep it? Or will they in their enjoyment of plenty, lose the memory of freedom? Material abundance without character is the surest way to destruction. Indeed, I tremble for my country when I reflect that God is just."

Thomas Jefferson

If you spent 1 million dollars every day from the time Christ walked the earth until now, you still would not have spent 1 trillion dollars!
Old 01-26-2021, 03:04 PM
Not to be used as a Flotation Device

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barn Owl View Post
I listed the tank size because that describes the air in reserve. I could have a 20 hp compressor on a 5 gallon tank and the compressor would run continuously. Typically compressors cannot put out high pressure air if the tank is empty, it is only a fraction of what the compressor can deliver when fully pressurized.
I do not know what the air requirements for the chain fall or the cable hoist are so I referenced the tank size for those who do. I have a pneumatic hoist at the school where I teach but we also have two 200 gallon tanks supplying them and we never have an issue with not enough air.
You really don't have any idea what your blathering on about.....
Old 01-27-2021, 10:58 PM

I am not sure what you are confused about. If you have an empty compressor tank and upon initial start up try to use your nail gun or sand blaster it is not going to work all that well. The reserve pressure in the tank is what will effectively run the tool. Maybe you are used to the compressors that run a jack hammer and have a lot more air volume, but I was trying to ensure that the pressure needed to run the air powered hoist did not start to starve the tool on the 30 foot decent. So let me clarify what I was trying to convey: the pressure may be high enough but the volume of delivery is not sufficient to run much, including an air powered hoist.

"Yes, we did produce a near perfect Republic. But will they keep it? Or will they in their enjoyment of plenty, lose the memory of freedom? Material abundance without character is the surest way to destruction. Indeed, I tremble for my country when I reflect that God is just."

Thomas Jefferson

If you spent 1 million dollars every day from the time Christ walked the earth until now, you still would not have spent 1 trillion dollars!