Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Mechanical & Electrical

SFT Search:   

Old 01-18-2021, 03:30 AM
Hey...wait...is there a prize?

Another thought. What about an off the shelf kingpin. I have an old TRW catalogue that lists all the components used in front suspensions and steering assemblies: Tie rod ends, ball joints and kingpins (where applicable). It lists the kingpins by application but it also has a cross-referenced listing by size as well so it's possible to find kingpins by size and then see what they fit. It's pretty neat because it has some listings that go right back to the 40s.

I've used it over the years to find many oddball kingpins. I can't look till tomorrow when I get to the shop but if you want to let me know what the exact dimensions are I can poke around a bit and see what I can find...

Measure twice and cut once...or...wait, was that the other way around?
Old 01-18-2021, 07:23 AM
Made From Scratch

What about using pre hardened 4140? I have a couple gun smithing books that reference it and it is supposed to be machinable in its hardened state, but it would be much tougher than anything you bought annealed.

https://www.mscdirect.com/product/details/70394572
Old 01-18-2021, 02:01 PM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LKeithR View Post
Another thought. What about an off the shelf kingpin. I have an old TRW catalogue that lists all the components used in front suspensions and steering assemblies: Tie rod ends, ball joints and kingpins (where applicable). It lists the kingpins by application but it also has a cross-referenced listing by size as well so it's possible to find kingpins by size and then see what they fit. It's pretty neat because it has some listings that go right back to the 40s.

I've used it over the years to find many oddball kingpins. I can't look till tomorrow when I get to the shop but if you want to let me know what the exact dimensions are I can poke around a bit and see what I can find...
Thanks, Keith. The new pins are 23/32 (0.7188) x 100mm (3.937). There is a grease hole and shallow groove at each end 1/2" in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Shade View Post
What about using pre hardened 4140? I have a couple gun smithing books that reference it and it is supposed to be machinable in its hardened state, but it would be much tougher than anything you bought annealed.

https://www.mscdirect.com/product/details/70394572
That is also available at McMaster. Since my previous machining experience has always been fairly soft materials, what hardness could I get away with? I assume brazed carbide tooling? or would I need to go with inserts?

I believe in gun control.

Gun Control: The ability to consistently hit what you are aiming at.

Weldor by choice, engineer by necessity.
Old 01-18-2021, 08:25 PM
Made From Scratch

Quote:
Originally Posted by arizonian View Post
Thanks, Keith. The new pins are 23/32 (0.7188) x 100mm (3.937). There is a grease hole and shallow groove at each end 1/2" in.

That is also available at McMaster. Since my previous machining experience has always been fairly soft materials, what hardness could I get away with? I assume brazed carbide tooling? or would I need to go with inserts?
I have only read about it and don't have a lathe to give you any pointers on tooling or feed rates or anything. The books I have recommend using it for gun parts because it can be machined after heat treat which eliminates worries of warping or scale which is why I thought of it for your project. Tossing the idea out there is about it for me on this one.
Old 01-18-2021, 10:07 PM
Hey...wait...is there a prize?

Quote:
Originally Posted by arizonian View Post
Checked the TRW catalogue today and, surprisingly, nothing at all in that diameter. There is one smaller at .709" and a few from .734" to .800". The vast majority of all the kingpins listed are between .800" and 1.00"

I would say that 4140 pre-hard ( or HTSR as it's known up here) would be fine for your pins. It's tough but fully machinable. Insert tooling would be the best but brazed carbide or even HSS will work--just adjust feeds and speeds accordingly...

Measure twice and cut once...or...wait, was that the other way around?
Old 01-18-2021, 11:00 PM
I can dig it

I think, the time or two I machined 4140 prehardened, I treated it more or less like stainless steel. Should get you in the ballpark as a start point anyway.

If in doubt, go slower to start and bump it up if it cuts ok.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk