Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Machining

SFT Search:   

Old 02-12-2021, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toprecycler View Post
Glad it is working out for you. I have been using a QCTP at new job for about 3 1/4 years now. Wish I had more holders too, but am getting bye with about 15 or so. .... But I get burned when I start getting comfortable and don’t double check dimensions. If in doubt, take time to measure. Don’t get in a big hurry.

Have you learned the trick of using a 6” ruler to set the height of your cutting tools? Place the ruler vertical against the workpiece and very lightly move the toolbit to pinch the rule against the workpiece. If the rule is straight up and down, toolbit is on center. If top is leaning in on top, then bit is too high. Leaning towards you, bit too low.

Sent from my iPhone using ShopFloorTalk
lol...holy crap..15! The difference between a worker and an amateur hobbyist. Yes, the more of this stuff I do, I reinforce to myself to measure many many times....and I make notes. I don't have a DRO but am starting to really appreciate them. I think it might be on my upgrade list. First though would be a power feed on the x axis. For the tool holders, and being a small mill, I had to mill down about 0.550 and at .005 at a time, then do the other side...and then the next tool holder! I started picturing a stepper motor doing that cranking for me.... At least they are pretty small so the cranking was short termed

Yes, thanks for the ruler tip. That is my goto. I also made up a small reference and put a magnet on the bottom to set the tool by, quickly. I then check it with the ruler. After doing the tool post, I realize how much I have to learn. I enjoyed the project, learned a ton, bought some new tools (cutters) and introduced myself to gun blue. I think gun blue does for my machining what Tremclad does for my welds....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	After bluing.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	197.4 KB
ID:	159508  
Old 02-12-2021, 12:19 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShawnR View Post
lol...holy crap..15! The difference between a worker and an amateur hobbyist. Yes, the more of this stuff I do, I reinforce to myself to measure many many times....and I make notes. I don't have a DRO but am starting to really appreciate them. I think it might be on my upgrade list. First though would be a power feed on the x axis. For the tool holders, and being a small mill, I had to mill down about 0.550 and at .005 at a time, then do the other side...and then the next tool holder! I started picturing a stepper motor doing that cranking for me.... At least they are pretty small so the cranking was short termed

Yes, thanks for the ruler tip. That is my goto. I also made up a small reference and put a magnet on the bottom to set the tool by, quickly. I then check it with the ruler. After doing the tool post, I realize how much I have to learn. I enjoyed the project, learned a ton, bought some new tools (cutters) and introduced myself to gun blue. I think gun blue does for my machining what Tremclad does for my welds....

As I’m sure most experienced people will say, the more I learn, the more I realize I have yet to learn.

Hardly a day goes by that I do not learn something new, even if it is a way “not” to do something.

I’ve been around a machine shop since I was about 5years old, And started my first lathe project when I was probably 12. Think I had to machine a nylock nut down to hold the clutch on my dads 1972 Harley Davidson snowmobile. This would have been around 1984.

Now almost 3-1/2 years into main job as a full time machinist, I’ve learned a lot, but still feel I’ve only scratched the surface at times.

Sent from my iPhone using ShopFloorTalk

You don't know what you don't know.

"It's what you learn after you know it all that counts." John Wooden

Tags
boring