Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Fabrication

SFT Search:   

Old 11-29-2020, 03:00 PM
Auction Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalWolf View Post
Too Bad you or some of the other guys are not close to me Chris, I have several axles with brakes and a couple of new bulldog couplers laying in the scrap pile... don't plan on tossing them but figure someone will eventually come along and have a need for them one axle is a 3500 and the other is a 4500 and I believe I have the drums for them too...

Had a plan to make a low deck MC Trailer but since my bike caught fire I've pretty much given up on a lot of things as the future doesn't hold much promise here for future projects other than the last one I have to finish I'm obligated too once this project is finished, I'm retired prolly for good... and plan on relocating somewhere other than Texas...
I have a couple axles and another trailer in the pasture. Half the ones I have had were free. Let us now where you head to when you retire. Stop in if you pass by me.

The question isn't who is going to let me; it's who is going to stop me.
Old 11-29-2020, 07:37 PM
Lord of the Minions

Quote:
Pretty light unit but will be handy some times to have a flatbed to pull around the place with the Polaris Ranger or a 4 wheeler.
Milo, since buying the HD, suddenly I'm in need of a trailer for hauling bikes, 2 a breast or zero turns or 4 wheelers.

I'm doing work on generators, small gas or diesel jobs, we are hurricane centrl after all.

I've got a pair of 2005 Artic Cat 4 wheelers, a red and green pair. The customer will have me go through the fuel system, clean the tanks and carbs etc. Both have suffered that age old problem of water in the fuel system and then a few years thrown in to make sure they wont start. lol

I fix one, he is giving me the 2nd, I'm charging parts, no labor for his.

It's amazing just how well an US cleaner will remove that whick i used to use carb soak cleaners etc. Now it's mostly Dawn and simple green. A bit of hand with brushes and wires do the rest.

If memory serves, both are 650cc machines. More than enough power to use mine as a yard and pasture light tow work machine.

Damn I'm off topic.

I'm buying axles and tires and springs and tires. I have the steel, hitch, boards and grating to make a nice one. Thought about buying one, but all would have to be altered in a major sense to use for mc's.

Quoting "The Hunt". "A man will walk into hell with both eyes and arms wide open. His dog will know better."

I never thought I'd live long enough to become a grumpy old bastard. Here I am, killing it!
Old 11-29-2020, 08:51 PM
Iron Modification Investigator

Good score on the 4wheeler. Are we going to see a build thread?

The virtue is always a cover for the sin. That's the key to understanding the modern left. Whatever they're accusing you of doing, they are doing themselves but more enthusiastically. And that's definitely the story of Justin Trudeau. Tucker Carlson
Old 11-30-2020, 03:19 AM
Lubrication Consultant

Quote:
Originally Posted by LW Hiway View Post
Milo, since buying the HD, suddenly I'm in need of a trailer for hauling bikes, 2 a breast or zero turns or 4 wheelers.

I'm doing work on generators, small gas or diesel jobs, we are hurricane centrl after all.

I've got a pair of 2005 Artic Cat 4 wheelers, a red and green pair. The customer will have me go through the fuel system, clean the tanks and carbs etc. Both have suffered that age old problem of water in the fuel system and then a few years thrown in to make sure they wont start. lol

It's amazing just how well an US cleaner will remove that whick i used to use carb soak cleaners etc. Now it's mostly Dawn and simple green. A bit of hand with brushes and wires do the rest.

If memory serves, both are 650cc machines. More than enough power to use mine as a yard and pasture light tow work machine.

Damn I'm off topic.

I'm buying axles and tires and springs and tires. I have the steel, hitch, boards and grating to make a nice one. Thought about buying one, but all would have to be altered in a major sense to use for mc's.
Be far cheaper to buy one over building it and just add the d rings and tire stop which is what I did initially, but the plan for trailer materials was for a super low walk and just slightly step-up trailer as where the stock cheapy trailer I have for hauling MC with, ya have to ride up. but has a long drop gate it's from TSC. and works well just not wide enough for zero turns and almost not even for a normal riding mower cause of the mower decks but a 650 cc 4wheeler will fit
Old 11-30-2020, 03:27 AM
Lubrication Consultant

Quote:
Originally Posted by LW Hiway View Post

LW, Check the availability of arctic cat parts! artic cat no longer exists they no longer MFG parts for the 4 wheelers UTV and ATV they only build "Snowmobiles now" for some years! and most parts are hard as hell to get and used! there are some Aftermarket Chinese parts available through Amazonia and flebay that can be made to fit on Bolton stuff but internal and hard parts are not so adaptable... so use caution on making repair deals on arctic cat...
Old 11-30-2020, 03:49 AM
Lubrication Consultant

Quote:
Originally Posted by milomilo View Post
Let us now where you head to when you retire. Stop in if you pass by me.
Chris, I am not sure where I will end up, and kind of hoping some of the members here will give me some insight on areas of interest.
I'm looking towards possibly New Mexico, Arizona, Colorado, but the areas I will need to look into will have to be as low cost as possible but desolate far enough from any large town or city where city folks do not choke out the area... but not so far for medical emergencies and necessities to live... this choice is because I will have to live poor as possible with as much comfort as I can afford because I have not been able to climb out of my Financial disaster after my divorce and the health issues that the good Lord seemed to of thought humorous to bestow on me...

So If any insight on low-cost areas would be helpful from other members who live in those states
Old 11-30-2020, 09:25 AM
Auction Addict

I'd stay away from CO.

The question isn't who is going to let me; it's who is going to stop me.
Old 11-30-2020, 10:21 AM
Iron Modification Investigator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalWolf View Post
LW, Check the availability of arctic cat parts! artic cat no longer exists they no longer MFG parts for the 4 wheelers UTV and ATV they only build "Snowmobiles now" for some years! and most parts are hard as hell to get and used! there are some Aftermarket Chinese parts available through Amazonia and flebay that can be made to fit on Bolton stuff but internal and hard parts are not so adaptable... so use caution on making repair deals on arctic cat...
They have a few suppliers here:

https://www.arcticcatparts.ca/
https://www.arcticcatpartshouse.com

The virtue is always a cover for the sin. That's the key to understanding the modern left. Whatever they're accusing you of doing, they are doing themselves but more enthusiastically. And that's definitely the story of Justin Trudeau. Tucker Carlson
Old 12-01-2020, 03:45 AM
Lubrication Consultant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironman View Post
Every supplier we contacted here referred us to another company and all their parts are used we paid 4k for an engine that was refurbished with used parts and said that some Japanese company bought Arctic cat and now only supplies snowmobile parts was kind of chicken shit considering all the AC sold in the US.
but finding parts here is a challenge

I appreciate the links if certain parts are available...
Old 12-01-2020, 03:47 AM
Lubrication Consultant

Quote:
Originally Posted by milomilo View Post
I'd stay away from CO.
CO. would be my last choice thought about OK. but not really feeling that area is where I want I'm swaying more towards NM.