Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Shop & Safety

SFT Search:   

Old 11-18-2020, 10:59 AM
Elite Member

Do a test with two 1/8" pieces and one 1/4" one and see .
The old "experimenter" talking.
...lew...
Old 11-18-2020, 11:45 AM
Elite Member

I have had people tell me I shouldn't or can't do something all of my life. If I followed their suggestions my only skills might be stocking warehouses and fishing.

I applaud anyone with the will to experiment and operate out of their comfort zone, especially when others think it is a "stupid idea" I can think of two occasions when people much smarter than I told me something couldn't be done. I proved them wrong on both accounts.

About your question, perhaps you could test the theory on smaller sheet steel. You could cut equal size strips of steel and create a test fixture of sorts to place them on. A weight could then be placed on them and deflection and bending could be measured.

Remember to cut the samples all in the same direction and adjacent to each other from the sheet steel The difference in grain structure could have an effect on your results.

It started hitting the fan in the 1950's https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=nRnNDkHb0MU

A technologically advanced society would teach their children how to start a fire by rubbing two sticks together before teaching them how to use a lighter.

If you are not having fun then you are doing it wrong.
Old 11-18-2020, 11:48 AM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lew Hartswick View Post
Do a test with two 1/8" pieces and one 1/4" one and see .
The old "experimenter" talking.
...lew...
What He said. HAHAHA

It started hitting the fan in the 1950's https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=nRnNDkHb0MU

A technologically advanced society would teach their children how to start a fire by rubbing two sticks together before teaching them how to use a lighter.

Old 11-21-2020, 02:52 PM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by threepiece View Post
I have had people tell me I shouldn't or can't do something all of my life. If I followed their suggestions my only skills might be stocking warehouses and fishing.

I applaud anyone with the will to experiment and operate out of their comfort zone, especially when others think it is a "stupid idea" I can think of two occasions when people much smarter than I told me something couldn't be done. I proved them wrong on both accounts.

About your question, perhaps you could test the theory on smaller sheet steel. You could cut equal size strips of steel and create a test fixture of sorts to place them on. A weight could then be placed on them and deflection and bending could be measured.

Remember to cut the samples all in the same direction and adjacent to each other from the sheet steel The difference in grain structure could have an effect on your results.
I'll bet you can't pee on the electric fence while it's energized.

I believe in gun control.

Gun Control: The ability to consistently hit what you are aiming at.

Weldor by choice, engineer by necessity.
Old 11-21-2020, 04:26 PM
Blast this!

Never did that .We did get caught in one strung about ankle high because we were steeling more than a fair share in a watermelon patch .He had watered the ground real good .About five years later was at a neighbors funeral and Mr. Strouber ask me if we were still stealing watermelon .
Old 11-26-2020, 09:33 PM

Default Strength of 1" plate vs 2x 0.5"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by arizonian View Post

once maybe . But I’ll bet he can’t make himself do it twice.
Old 11-26-2020, 10:28 PM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by arizonian View Post
Yes, I might be able to do that. My stream is so weak that the dribble would break the circuit back to me! I might have to stand on a ladder just to be sure though. Yes, I think I can!

Old 11-26-2020, 11:20 PM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by threepiece View Post
Yes, I might be able to do that. My stream is so weak that the dribble would break the circuit back to me! I might have to stand on a ladder just to be sure though. Yes, I think I can!
Smart ass! I should have seen that one coming.

I believe in gun control.

Gun Control: The ability to consistently hit what you are aiming at.

Weldor by choice, engineer by necessity.