Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Mechanical & Electrical

SFT Search:   

Old 11-23-2020, 06:22 AM

Default Dana 44 vs. Dana44HD axles

the 44HD version had thicker axle tubes, bigger bearings and brakes and there were changes made to the ring gear mounting bolts-I think they were bigger diameter..watch your axle spline vs.diff spider gear spline count numbers too..Chevy,Ford and Jeep used the 44HD over the years back in the 70's.Boyce Equipment in Utah has parts you need for those old axles
Old 11-24-2020, 07:44 PM
Elite Member

Wellthe designation isn't the end all be all. My m725(another fsj) has a dana 60 front, but the axle shaft necks down, so its only as strong as a modern dana 44.
Old 11-26-2020, 12:48 AM
Elite Member

An interesting fact about the Dana 44, I have a few from 1974 and 1975 Cherokee and J10 truck that have thick wall tubes. These axles are six lug, not HD models.

I suspect Dana changed the 44 axle sometime in the mid 1970’s as a cost/weight reduction.

It started hitting the fan in the 1950's https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=nRnNDkHb0MU

A technologically advanced society would teach their children how to start a fire by rubbing two sticks together before teaching them how to use a lighter.

If you are not having fun then you are doing it wrong.
Old 11-27-2020, 06:32 AM

and not to mention the closed knuckle vs. open knuckle Dana axles as well
Old 11-28-2020, 05:49 AM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bunkclimber View Post
and not to mention the closed knuckle
Jeep began using the open knuckle 44 in the FSJ in 1974. Once one has experienced the small turning radius capable with an open knuckle axle it’s difficult to tolerate anything less.

Because the wheels turned farther with the open knuckle, Jeep had to move the springs inboard directly under the frame to make way for the tires. The springs also went under the axle at this time to maintain the ride height. Swapping from open to closed or vise versa is not a simple “bolt on” process. So yes, let’s not mention the closed knuckle.

It started hitting the fan in the 1950's https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=nRnNDkHb0MU

A technologically advanced society would teach their children how to start a fire by rubbing two sticks together before teaching them how to use a lighter.

Old 11-28-2020, 06:04 AM
Elite Member

With the rusted wall removed you can now see the interior of the dining room. On the right we have the nursery/bedroom. This is typical of FSJ frames that have set undisturbed for a period of time. It’s a good idea to check these areas when bringing a FSJ out of storage.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	7F7B30AD-A312-4556-9533-4D1155769F3B.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	205.3 KB
ID:	158582   Click image for larger version

Name:	D0D5C319-7E49-4EA4-9CA0-5F5F2B6D4271.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	197.6 KB
ID:	158583  

Old 11-28-2020, 06:16 AM
Elite Member

After noticing one of the crush sleeves had rusted away I decided to cut open the right side as well.

Here I am showing the proposed cut line and the holes for mounting the second crossmember. The front set of four holes indicated with white circles is the X member position when the three speed manual transmission is used. The rear set with squares is when the automatic or four speed is used.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	7D5C661B-6CB9-42E5-B1AF-389D34A5FFD8.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	200.8 KB
ID:	158584  

Old 11-28-2020, 10:16 AM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gimpyrobb View Post
Wellthe designation isn't the end all be all. My m725(another fsj) has a dana 60 front, but the axle shaft necks down, so its only as strong as a modern dana 44.
It may be comparable to a 44 for its ability to handle torque but is it not able to handle higher vertical load as a model 60 should?

I suspect there was no reason to provide stronger shafts with the 230 OHC engine but the M715/725 still needed to carry heavy loads, even if it took a while to move them.

Old 11-29-2020, 12:46 AM
Elite Member

I used the information provided by the cut out piece to create a form. This includes all the holes. The form is made from 1” thick steel.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	60C86C1B-6F7F-41B7-8876-22029547342F.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	199.1 KB
ID:	158606  

Old 11-29-2020, 12:50 AM
Elite Member

The part being formed.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	B4F5601B-317E-461E-AD65-945743BC69D9.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	200.3 KB
ID:	158607   Click image for larger version

Name:	E6C3AC9E-C8C0-42D0-9C13-3DC20021BFB9.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	192.5 KB
ID:	158608