Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Mechanical & Electrical

SFT Search:   

Old 02-13-2021, 12:21 PM
Elite Member

Default One piece at a time compressor

Rustyjr has recently moved into a new shack with an outdoor SWMBO shelter (Garage) and decided he needs an air source. He approached the hoarder of crap and asked if I had anything "laying around".
Now there will be a post about it.
20 years ago I was given Grandpa Rusty's compressor he had cobbled together using a piston type refrigeration compressor and a one horse induction motor. Worked amazing, made lots of air and was super quiet. Then the rings went on it and I had no air... I used a couple disappointing pumps then a buddy gave me a twin Eagle that dropped the reeds into one cylinder. repaired the piston with JB weld, and it became my main air source for a number of years.
When we moved to the country, Mrs Rusty decided my shop needed new air, and persuaded me to pick up a new triple from Princess Auto (that was on sale) and I built a nicer, larger compressor integrated I to the shop, which left my older unit to be relegated as "barn duty".
I had a nice little Craftsman compressor tank leftover from a portable direct drive that had died, so the project had a platform.
I built a new mount for the motor and compressor head and mounted it to the tank after a little thought about piping. Since the new configuration was much larger, I had to get the control and coupler to where it could be accessed. I rewired the motor for 120 volt again, and wired the switch in, and piped the compressor to the tank. It worked! Nice neat package and functional.
The 1929 patented motor driving a 90's compressor on a 2000's tank. I guess hoarding stuff pays off once in a while.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20210212_194449.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	212.5 KB
ID:	159509   Click image for larger version

Name:	20210212_171316.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	231.2 KB
ID:	159510   Click image for larger version

Name:	20210131_194128.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	217.6 KB
ID:	159511  

Learning boils down to "Repetition or the avoidance of pain", some people learn by doing, some by watching and some have to pee on the electric fence. - Norm W.

Mathew 10:36
And a man's foes shall be they of his own household
-Ironman quoting the Bible
Old 02-13-2021, 01:22 PM
Auction Addict

Repurposing is what it is all about.

The question isn't who is going to let me; it's who is going to stop me.
Old 02-13-2021, 02:53 PM
Administrator

Good job. Much of the value isn’t what you could have bought a new one for, but using what you already had on hand. Good to give the ok brain a workout every now and then to build something vs just throwing money out for something new.

Sent from my iPhone using ShopFloorTalk

You don't know what you don't know.

"It's what you learn after you know it all that counts." John Wooden
Old 02-14-2021, 08:48 AM
Iron Modification Investigator

One nice thing about repulsion-induction, they don't hit the electrical system with 3 times the run current when starting like induction motors do.

It'll do Rusty Jr just fine.

The virtue is always a cover for the sin. That's the key to understanding the modern left. Whatever they're accusing you of doing, they are doing themselves but more enthusiastically. And that's definitely the story of Justin Trudeau. Tucker Carlson

Last edited by Ironman; 02-14-2021 at 06:31 PM.