Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Machining

SFT Search:   

Old 02-02-2021, 07:47 PM
Auction Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironman View Post
One more way is that when you have a thread cut that's looking good and no test nut, or the nut weighs 1200 lb because it is in a cast iron engine block, grab a threading die and run it down the threads to finish it
I have used a threading die a couple times just to clean it up and eliminate over cutting.

The question isn't who is going to let me; it's who is going to stop me.
Old 02-06-2021, 04:18 PM

So, I have managed to get much more comfortable with the threading process. I watched some of Joe's videos, (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z-dqOi_z5bk) as suggested here and have been doing it that way. (Left to right with inverted tool) I really like. But I have also been going right to left, but at slower speeds. Joe's method is certainly less stressful if threading fast, which I think cuts better threads.

After spending several hours resulting in ugly threads, and sharpening and resharpening my threading bit this week, and cursing a bit, I gave up (or you might say, came to my senses) and I ordered an insert threading cutter.

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B07...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It arrived yesterday. What a difference! I ordered the shank as large as my regular tool holder will hold, (5/8") which looks large on my machine but it is stable and the threads are great! (well, great for me....:-) )

I also took someone's advice in a previous thread and went back to my quick change tool post. I have not used it much because I only have a couple of holders but being able to easiliy adjust the tool centerline helps makes the whole process more pleasant too. I have started making tool holders now for the QCTP but that is leading to other projects and more learning.

Thanks for all of the input. A lot of progress for me in the last week! And a few new tool additions to the shop.

Cheers,
Shawn
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Lathe threading tool.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	187.9 KB
ID:	159457  
Old 02-07-2021, 11:43 AM
Auction Addict

Glad to see things ae working out for you.

The question isn't who is going to let me; it's who is going to stop me.
Old 02-07-2021, 11:52 AM
Iron Modification Investigator

It's always good to learn something new. And I had heard all the cautions about metric lead screws in the past. I ignored it because for me it always worked.
I guess I have been lucky, every lathe I've had must have had an imperial screw, because I've always been able to use the thread dial.
The reverse rotation threading idea works well, not sure how well for internal threading, I can see me making mistakes.

The virtue is always a cover for the sin. That's the key to understanding the modern left. Whatever they're accusing you of doing, they are doing themselves but more enthusiastically. And that's definitely the story of Justin Trudeau. Tucker Carlson