Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Machining

SFT Search:   

Old 02-03-2021, 06:03 PM
Roving Reporter

Default Free hobbing

I was asked to reproduce a plastic worm wheel the other day.

The easiest way I can think of would be to generate a worm to match and cut flutes to make a free hob. The plastic used for the original seems to be an injection mouldable nylon or PE. Fairly hard as plastics go. Do plastics lend themselves to free hobbing?
https://youtu.be/vghcnXPki5s

The teeth are quite small, roughly 0.090" pitch. The whole gear is only 2.100" OD. The gear thickness is 0.500".

Last edited by camdigger; 02-03-2021 at 06:09 PM.
Old 02-03-2021, 07:43 PM
Iron Modification Investigator

Quote:
Originally Posted by camdigger View Post
I was asked to reproduce a plastic worm wheel the other day.

The easiest way I can think of would be to generate a worm to match and cut flutes to make a free hob. The plastic used for the original seems to be an injection mouldable nylon or PE. Fairly hard as plastics go. Do plastics lend themselves to free hobbing?
https://youtu.be/vghcnXPki5s

The teeth are quite small, roughly 0.090" pitch. The whole gear is only 2.100" OD. The gear thickness is 0.500".
This is the easiest way to do it, but I would have a washer and nut on top so the gear does not wobble around like in the video. And he never showed the fact that you have to center the gear so the lathe center line bisects the gear width center line that you are cutting.

The virtue is always a cover for the sin. That's the key to understanding the modern left. Whatever they're accusing you of doing, they are doing themselves but more enthusiastically. And that's definitely the story of Justin Trudeau. Tucker Carlson
Old 02-04-2021, 09:24 AM
Elite Member

Tht example wasn't centered very well :-) A simple heavy weight on the top of the wheel would have helped a lot and a captivated restraint would have been even better. :-) But the idea is there anyway.
...lew...
Old 02-05-2021, 02:38 AM

The diameter would need to be devisable by the thread pitch but it’s a keeper.
Already thinking of a use.
Old 02-05-2021, 03:14 PM
Roving Reporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by clive View Post
The diameter would need to be devisable by the thread pitch but it’s a keeper.
Already thinking of a use.
I am hoping that since I am copying an existing part, most of the design questions would be answered with some careful measuring.

I have heard and read about freehobbing before. I understand from that research that an Acme tap will give something very Close to an involute shaped tooth. I have seen and read about many examples done in metals, especially Brass, Bronze, and Aluminum. I am still a bit curious how it will work with plastic because it is so stringy.
Old 02-05-2021, 09:25 PM
Hey...wait...is there a prize?

The basic idea in that video is sound but the execution is really poor. As others have said, a better fit on the pin and something to keep the blank from flopping around would have produced a much more accurate result. Notice when he takes the gear off the pin that the teeth are cut way off centre because the blank was tipped up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by camdigger View Post
...I am still a bit curious how it will work with plastic because it is so stringy...
Not all plastics are stringy; some of the harder delrin materials will break a pretty good chip. Also consider that if the gear you're producing is fairly narrow like the one in the video you're going to have an interrupted cut as the hob moves across the blank--each tooth is only in the material for a short distance...

Measure twice and cut once...or...wait, was that the other way around?