Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Shop & Safety

SFT Search:   
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #121  
Old 01-09-2018, 06:55 PM
OldRedFord's Avatar
OldRedFord OldRedFord is offline
Kibble King
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Hull GA
Posts: 3,568
Send a message via AIM to OldRedFord Send a message via Yahoo to OldRedFord
Default

Been getting quotes for a 40x100x16 steel building. Standard pitch roof 1:12 or 2:12. 3" insulation and a 16x14 roll up door and one or two walk doors.

Prices are all between $30,000-35,000

As far as the big door.... insulated sectional or chain operated roll up?

The gentleman I bought all the benches from has been drawing up some plans I can submit to steel building companies. Turned out this is what he did before he retired.
__________________
Tim
Self appointed director of junk, and old vehicles.
Reply With Quote
  #122  
Old 01-09-2018, 07:29 PM
mccutter's Avatar
mccutter mccutter is offline
Post Fiend
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Central Florida
Posts: 8,416
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldRedFord View Post
As far as the big door.... insulated sectional or chain operated roll up?

The gentleman I bought all the benches from has been drawing up some plans I can submit to steel building companies. Turned out this is what he did before he retired.
An insulated door will be money well spent, IMO.

I guess there is a plus in the purchase of the overpriced workbenches... Don't let him overcharge you if he charges you at all.
__________________

TA Arcmaster 185 w/tig/stick kit
MillerMatic 252 w/3rd gen 30A
MM140 w/o AS, w/CO2
Hobart (Miller) 625 plasma
Hobart 250ci plasma
Victor O/A (always ready, but bored)
Lincoln Patriot autodark (freebie)
45ACP Black Talons for those stubborn jobs...
Reply With Quote
  #123  
Old 01-09-2018, 07:55 PM
OldRedFord's Avatar
OldRedFord OldRedFord is offline
Kibble King
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Hull GA
Posts: 3,568
Send a message via AIM to OldRedFord Send a message via Yahoo to OldRedFord
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mccutter View Post
An insulated door will be money well spent, IMO.

I guess there is a plus in the purchase of the overpriced workbenches... Don't let him overcharge you if he charges you at all.
I owe nothing on the drawings.
__________________
Tim
Self appointed director of junk, and old vehicles.
Reply With Quote
  #124  
Old 01-09-2018, 10:23 PM
Shade Tree Welder's Avatar
Shade Tree Welder Shade Tree Welder is offline
Grumpy Bastard
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Kankakee County, IL
Posts: 19,423
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldRedFord View Post
Been getting quotes for a 40x100x16 steel building. Standard pitch roof 1:12 or 2:12. 3" insulation and a 16x14 roll up door and one or two walk doors.

Prices are all between $30,000-35,000

As far as the big door.... insulated sectional or chain operated roll up?

The gentleman I bought all the benches from has been drawing up some plans I can submit to steel building companies. Turned out this is what he did before he retired.
I have a roll up door, I hate the fucker. I will never get one again, it rattles in
a light breeze, leaks like a sieve. Temperamental and mine is small 8' wide and
10 feet tall.

If you go with a wood frame look at Lester Building, I have one and it was great building with easy to follow prints.
__________________
Shade

"Prepare to defend yourselves."
-- Sergeant Major Basil L. Plumley, Ia Drang Valley
Reply With Quote
  #125  
Old 01-09-2018, 10:57 PM
milomilo's Avatar
milomilo milomilo is offline
Auction Addict
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Wheatland, Wyoming
Posts: 14,925
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shade Tree Welder View Post
I have a roll up door, I hate the fucker. I will never get one again, it rattles in
a light breeze, leaks like a sieve. Temperamental and mine is small 8' wide and
10 feet tall.

If you go with a wood frame look at Lester Building, I have one and it was great building with easy to follow prints.
+1 on the wood framed building. Easier to erect than a metal framed building and so much easier to insulate. I built one for my brother and it was a pain from beginning to the end. I will never do another one.
__________________
Chris

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies.
Groucho Marx
Reply With Quote
  #126  
Old 01-09-2018, 11:00 PM
milomilo's Avatar
milomilo milomilo is offline
Auction Addict
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Wheatland, Wyoming
Posts: 14,925
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shade Tree Welder View Post
I have a roll up door, I hate the fucker. I will never get one again, it rattles in
a light breeze, leaks like a sieve. Temperamental and mine is small 8' wide and
10 feet tall.

If you go with a wood frame look at Lester Building, I have one and it was great building with easy to follow prints.
If you have any ideas of replacing the roll up in the near future I would be interested. Yes, I know the rattling in the wind, but it would be just right for a remodeling plan I have in mind.
__________________
Chris

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies.
Groucho Marx

Last edited by milomilo; 01-09-2018 at 11:07 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #127  
Old 01-10-2018, 12:21 AM
camdigger's Avatar
camdigger camdigger is offline
Roving Reporter
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Central Oilberta
Posts: 3,617
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by milomilo View Post
If you have any ideas of replacing the roll up in the near future I would be interested. Yes, I know the rattling in the wind, but it would be just right for a remodeling plan I have in mind.
I have 4 8x10 overhead doors and love each and every one. Trick is, I didn't cheap out and get single skin panels. Mine are double skinned and have R5 or so foam insulation between the inner and outer skins. No rattle, and with good seals, little wind noise. Age and a few cats have made a few air leaks.
__________________
Design to 0.001", measure to 1/32", cut with an axe, grind to fit..
Reply With Quote
  #128  
Old 01-10-2018, 01:07 PM
OldRedFord's Avatar
OldRedFord OldRedFord is offline
Kibble King
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Hull GA
Posts: 3,568
Send a message via AIM to OldRedFord Send a message via Yahoo to OldRedFord
Default

The quotes for a steel building versus a pole barn are really only about $3000 in difference. Either way the quotes are coming in at $30,000 to $35,000.

I think I'd like to have a insulated sectional garage door.

Time wise in the next two months this project will start.
__________________
Tim
Self appointed director of junk, and old vehicles.
Reply With Quote
  #129  
Old 01-10-2018, 05:35 PM
randydupree's Avatar
randydupree randydupree is offline
Why, Hell Yes!
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Bainbridge Ga
Posts: 6,006
Default

whats the financial plans?
Reply With Quote
  #130  
Old 01-10-2018, 06:09 PM
OldRedFord's Avatar
OldRedFord OldRedFord is offline
Kibble King
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Hull GA
Posts: 3,568
Send a message via AIM to OldRedFord Send a message via Yahoo to OldRedFord
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by randydupree View Post
whats the financial plans?
I will say there is no loan paying for this.
I have a budget of $65,000. That is for the building it's self, slab, well, site prep and equipment rental for putting the building up.

The rest such as electrical and plumbing and building out living space will be (pay as I go)

Yes... paying off my truck or the land had been discussed before. My mom felt the best use of the money I have is to get out of the mobile home and into my own real place.

After the building is up and finished I will go get a traditional mortgage and buy out the owner financing.....if I have enough left that a bank would be interested in doing a mortgage by then.

The land is $50,000 with $2000 down and $350 a month at 5% interest. The goal is to have it paid off in less then 10 years.
__________________
Tim
Self appointed director of junk, and old vehicles.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Web Search:

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:38 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.