Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Shop & Safety

SFT Search:   

Old 11-04-2006, 12:16 AM
Elite Member

Default Shop Heating

Well I need a little bit of heat in the shop to keep it reasonably comfortable in the winter. The shop is a tad bit large for efficient heating I think. 6150 sq feet, over 165,000 cu feet of air volume. Not planning on getting the whole building warm, just working areas at the time. What's the opinions on some portable construction heaters? Convection or radiant? The radiant seems to me it would help more, as the convection will spend all day trying to heat the air up. The radiant uses considerably more fuel than the larger BTU convection heater does. Any thoughts, ideas, etc?

http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/w...8524_200178524

http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/w..._503599_503599
Old 11-04-2006, 12:52 AM
Director: Fish Seduction

Have you considered the electrical overhead heaters? We had some in a warehouse a few years back (came with the building, so I don't know any of the specifics) and they worked great. I believe the ceilings were 22', and they were very effective at creating "hot spots". With the addition of large floor fans we managed to keep it comfy enough with the 4 loading doors open where all you needed was a sweater or light jacket.
Old 11-04-2006, 01:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolt
Well I need a little bit of heat in the shop to keep it reasonably comfortable in the winter. The shop is a tad bit large for efficient heating I think. 6150 sq feet, over 165,000 cu feet of air volume. Not planning on getting the whole building warm, just working areas at the time. What's the opinions on some portable construction heaters? Convection or radiant? The radiant seems to me it would help more, as the convection will spend all day trying to heat the air up. The radiant uses considerably more fuel than the larger BTU convection heater does. Any thoughts, ideas, etc?

http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/w...8524_200178524

http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/w..._503599_503599

I am also looking for a heating solution, though my setup is a little different. I only use one stall of a four stall garage, though there is a wall dividing the garage in half, so I have to try to heat a two car garage space, instead of the one. On top of that, no insulation at all.

Personally, I am looking at the Mr Heater Propane (your second option).
Old 11-04-2006, 01:51 AM
The Enforcer

I have seen plenty of shop built heaters that burn old used engine oil. They put out plenty of heat. Fuel cost looks to be very low also. Fans placed in the right areas would direct the heat to where it is needed.

Barack Hussein Obama is our enemies favorite candidate

In time the right project will find the scrap pile, no need for the scrap pile to go out looking for a project.

http://www.swiftvets.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=24981

http://tosettherecordstraight.com/index.php
Old 11-04-2006, 07:03 AM
I Messed With Texas

Bolt, I used to run a Mr. Heater Propane Convection Heater it makes the shop very humid. It rusted all my steel and my tools in the tool box got soaking wet after about one hour after being turned on.
Old 11-04-2006, 08:34 AM
Big Shovel

I agree with the used oil idea. Granted, it would tend to heat the whole shop, I am guessing you would have plenty of used oil around. Only problem is they are quite pricey, around $5,000 I would guess and do tend to need maintenance and clean oil.

I would go that way if I wasn't doing the outdoor woodburner route.

The other thing used around here is ceiling mounted radiant gas heat. they work good I guess, but I don't care for them. It's warm standing on the floor, but if you are working under something there is no heat. Also, if you are working on top of a big peice of equipment it cooks you like a fried chicken. (my cousin has it in his shop with his well drilling rig)

Keep in mind I'm from Michigan, where we need GOOD heat. Shoot, it's only November 4th and it was 18 degrees (F) last night when I went to bed.
Old 11-04-2006, 10:24 AM
SFT HVAC Guru

Send a message via AIM to rickairmedic Send a message via MSN to rickairmedic Send a message via Yahoo to rickairmedic

Bolt you might look into a couple used 125,000 BTU furnaces . I have heated many a shop with used furnaces .

Rick

Politically Correct : A term used for whiny pu**ies that need sh*t sugar coated .
Old 11-04-2006, 12:04 PM
Curmudgeon

Bolt, Brady Plumbing used to have an old oil burning furnace sitting out back he offered me for $100.
Might could do some tinkering with it if he still has it.

"Dr. Chandran, will I dream?"

Just Keep Walking

"Passionate hatred can give meaning and purpose to an empty life. Thus people haunted by the purposelessness of their lives try to find a new content not only by dedicating themselves to a holy cause but also by nursing a fanatical grievance. A mass movement offers them unlimited opportunities for both."
Eric Hoffer The True Believer 1951
Old 11-04-2006, 10:45 PM
The Enforcer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtdigger
I agree with the used oil idea. Granted, it would tend to heat the whole shop, I am guessing you would have plenty of used oil around. Only problem is they are quite pricey, around $5,000 I would guess and do tend to need maintenance and clean oil.

I would go that way if I wasn't doing the outdoor woodburner route.
Well, factory units are pricey, the ones that I saw were shop built, could say that they were homemade or redneck style, I guess would be another way of stating it.

Wood burners cause lots of ashes to be cleaned out on a regular basis. I am sure that oil burners require some cleaning as well.

I have seen a really big wood burner that was built long enough and big enough that they would open the top door on it, the door was nearly as long as the stove was, and put in a couple of old RR cross ties at least. It got plenty warm in that shop even with no insulation.

Barack Hussein Obama is our enemies favorite candidate

In time the right project will find the scrap pile, no need for the scrap pile to go out looking for a project.

http://www.swiftvets.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=24981

http://tosettherecordstraight.com/index.php
Old 11-05-2006, 08:13 AM
Big Shovel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harvuskong
Well, factory units are pricey, the ones that I saw were shop built, could say that they were homemade or redneck style, I guess would be another way of stating it.

Wood burners cause lots of ashes to be cleaned out on a regular basis. I am sure that oil burners require some cleaning as well.

I have seen a really big wood burner that was built long enough and big enough that they would open the top door on it, the door was nearly as long as the stove was, and put in a couple of old RR cross ties at least. It got plenty warm in that shop even with no insulation.
The only problem with the "homade" waste oil burners I see is I think they would need constant supervision. I don't think I'd leave one going unattended. We had a local trucking company go up in flames from the malfuntion of a purchased (non-homeade) oil burner. It happened at night.

My woodburner will be outside, so there will be less chance of fire, plus I plan to do some equipment painting in there too this winter, so I wont have to worry as much about the fumes and an open flame.

I don't know about down there in TX, but up here wood is plentiful and these big woodburners will burn just about any type of junk wood, even green, so they are real popular. But I'm not dumb enough to believe that you get as much heat out of a green willow tree and a seasoned hunk of Oak, but some goofs will tell you it doesn't make a difference.

(Sorry Bolt, this is getting way off topic from your original radiant question )