Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Shop & Safety

SFT Search:   

Old 02-17-2019, 05:08 PM
Iron Modification Investigator

Quote:
Originally Posted by greywynd View Post
I think I may have started this just before the re-organizing of the closet happened.

Cutter would you be so kind as to move this?

I would love to go wider if I can, however there’s a tree and our gazebo/firepit that are in the way. I will have to do more measurement to see, but I think 20’ is all I will get on the width.

I’ve rethought the door, 12’ wide is what I’m going with, and with the higher walls, I’ll likely go 10’ high.

Again more measuring required, I’m hoping I can go a little longer, hopefully 36’ if I can.

The debate with the other half being military is always how far to go with quality. Ideally, there’s a good chance she’s here another 10 years until she would be able to retire.

I’ll price steel roofing, if it’s comparable I’ll go that route.

Shingles, for a 20x36 roof would only be 30 bundles or so, with the air nailer they go pretty quick.

Sent from my iPhone using ShopFloorTalk mobile app
There is a Hutterite colony somewhere near you that manufactures roofing.
Forgot their name.
My costs were 1.25 per lineal ft from Timbr-Mart and coverage is 30" per sheet. I'd say 1.40 is about on target now.
I'd want to keep the tree, but I'd sacrifice the firepit in a heartbeat for shop space.

"I must abide by my core values, my ethical responsibilities and constitutional obligations. There can be a cost to acting on one’s principles, but there is a bigger cost to abandoning them.” Jane Philpott
Old 02-17-2019, 06:40 PM
Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by greywynd View Post

Cutter would you be so kind as to move this?
Done.

"Dr. Chandran, will I dream?"

Just Keep Walking

"Passionate hatred can give meaning and purpose to an empty life. Thus people haunted by the purposelessness of their lives try to find a new content not only by dedicating themselves to a holy cause but also by nursing a fanatical grievance. A mass movement offers them unlimited opportunities for both."
Eric Hoffer The True Believer 1951
Old 02-19-2019, 01:51 PM
Elite Member

I have found I like a single 12 wide door on my size shop.. 26X32.. Leaves me much more space on the side without the door.. I only need to get one full size truck in at a time, and have 5X10 plasma in there too..In fact I have so many things in my shop, and can still work comfortably around everything.. Oh yea, my favorite thing in my shop? 26 year old Austroflamm Integra pellet stove. What a great unit those things are..

I just angle the truck/car bike in on the lift ,even the gantry is not in the way.. I was able to gain more room for a 61 inch work space tool box just yesterday..Cut down on using the back half of my plasma table.. Just cut less then 5X5 anyway..

Good luck with your build. Nice to have your own space...I came from a 50X60 that was not mine, to a 26X32 that is mine.. I have twice the stuff in it, and still functions well.. I like the idea of going with 10 ft walls. My ceiling is 9 ft, and the gantry was built so close to it that I have to take the 1/2 trim off the ceiling opening to set it up..(bit more then 12 MM) Needed every last inch of height to unload heavy things off my trailer..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PICT0001.JPG
Views:	42
Size:	142.9 KB
ID:	149546   Click image for larger version

Name:	PICT0002.JPG
Views:	43
Size:	125.5 KB
ID:	149547   Click image for larger version

Name:	PICT0003.JPG
Views:	41
Size:	132.3 KB
ID:	149548  
Old 02-19-2019, 05:18 PM
I can dig it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott V View Post
I have found I like a single 12 wide door on my size shop.. 26X32.. Leaves me much more space on the side without the door.. I only need to get one full size truck in at a time, and have 5X10 plasma in there too..In fact I have so many things in my shop, and can still work comfortably around everything.. Oh yea, my favorite thing in my shop? 26 year old Austroflamm Integra pellet stove. What a great unit those things are..

I just angle the truck/car bike in on the lift ,even the gantry is not in the way.. I was able to gain more room for a 61 inch work space tool box just yesterday..Cut down on using the back half of my plasma table.. Just cut less then 5X5 anyway..

Good luck with your build. Nice to have your own space...I came from a 50X60 that was not mine, to a 26X32 that is mine.. I have twice the stuff in it, and still functions well.. I like the idea of going with 10 ft walls. My ceiling is 9 ft, and the gantry was built so close to it that I have to take the 1/2 trim off the ceiling opening to set it up..(bit more then 12 MM) Needed every last inch of height to unload heavy things off my trailer..

If it happens I’m going with 12’ walls, maximum allowed here. 12’ wall, 16’ to top of building. One advantage of a ‘narrow’ building is the lower roof profile.

I hope to get outside today or tomorrow with a tape measure and see if I can get some better numbers for space and figure out what I can squeeze in.

Old 02-20-2019, 11:23 AM
I can dig it

Trudged around through the foot or so of snow we have now.

Lot width is 60’ (couldn’t recall if it was 60 or 65).

That means with the setback of two feet plus the one foot overhang, (so three feet at neighbours side), and the 20’ approach on the ‘lane’ side, 37’ is the absolute maximum, so I’ll look to going 36’ on the length.

On the width, using that same three foot starting point for the base of the foundation, 22’ puts me touching the tree branches.

So I may be able to squueeze it to 22’ wide and 36’ long.

Maybe.

Before that, I have to get some prep work done. There’s an 8x12 shed that I’ll have to move. There are a couple trees that will have to come out. There’s also a bunch of fencing to take out and change around as well.

Plus permits, and I also have to plan for the utilities (electrical and maybe natural gas).

If things go well, the shovel would hit the ground late May or June.

Old 02-20-2019, 11:47 AM
Something's Fishy ...

Do any of the services pass through the area in question?
Old 02-20-2019, 12:52 PM
I can dig it

Quote:
Originally Posted by terry lingle View Post
Do any of the services pass through the area in question?

Both can be fed from the house. Electrical will likely require an upgrade feed to the house, it’s currently a 100A service. I’d like to be able to run another 100A to the shop. I’ll make some calls and get a couple local sparkies to come look and see what we’ll have to do.

Old 02-20-2019, 01:16 PM
Auction Addict

I believe set back is measured from the foundation, not the eave.

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies.
? Groucho Marx
Old 02-20-2019, 01:20 PM
I can dig it

Here it is measured from the eaves.

http://wainwright.ca/wp-content/uplo...dings-2015.pdf

I’m okay with a 3’ perimeter around the two sides, gives access for maintenance etc anyway.

Old 02-20-2019, 01:32 PM
Something's Fishy ...

I was asking if the services like the gas and sewer lines pass through the area you want to build on and if so are there covenants preventing building on top of them?