Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Fabrication

SFT Search:   

Old 03-30-2019, 09:36 AM
Standard of Excellence

Default Couple jobs almost done.

I had to make a couple dozen bar taps for a new craft brewery. First picture shows the sort of progression. They are made of 1 1/2" 304 tube .125" wall. I didn't take early pictures, but I cut coupons from 1/4" plate and capped both ends. Then center drilled and faced both ends. Then there is a 110 thousandth reduction in diameter for 6" of the 14" tube. Then to the mill to put in the flat spot and drill for tapping a 1/4-20 hole. Then they get a brushed finish. The little squares get engraved with number. The last pics shows my centering jig for the tags. The studs are simply button head machine screws that I milled the heads flat.

The gates and window bars are for a house in an HOA. The window guards are all new, the gates we're the original frames with all the horrible cast iron crap cut out. I'm not a big fan of production iron work (crap from King), but the owner was very specific in what she wanted and she writes the checks.Click image for larger version

Name:	KIMG0215.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	201.3 KB
ID:	150182Click image for larger version

Name:	KIMG0212.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	194.0 KB
ID:	150183Click image for larger version

Name:	KIMG0213.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	189.2 KB
ID:	150184Click image for larger version

Name:	KIMG0209.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	210.1 KB
ID:	150185Click image for larger version

Name:	KIMG0210.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	195.2 KB
ID:	150186Click image for larger version

Name:	KIMG0211.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	202.9 KB
ID:	150187

Sent from my E6810 using ShopFloorTalk mobile app
Old 03-30-2019, 10:25 AM
Lubrication Consultant

I find this sort of Ironic, You get paid to fab and install the security doors and windows.
And I am usually getting paid to remove them and scrap them around this part of the world...
And No. Not trying to be smug about your work... but seem some places still want that sort of stuff, and some don't.

But, most of the time around here... It is for one reason or another they want them removed. The biggest reason I've heard when called, Is Insurance.
Due to fire hazard, being they were built wrong with no easy fire scape and cannot get insurance on some homes...

And some sections of town have city or county ordinances depending on which it falls in, Don't allow then period on a home...

IMO, They look nice, Some more than others depending they style of home installed on. Not all homes look nice in them. But rod iron fencing does wonders for almost any property...

They are Nice the ones you show in the pics and it would suck to be called to remove and scrap someones work like that.

I use to hang on to them for resale but never was a market for it after all the city and county ordinances or the issues getting insurance on a home. so I ended up cutting up for the usable iron and metal tubing and scrapping the rest.

I Have Only One Wish, To Achieve "Pura Vida" In All That I Do!
Old 03-30-2019, 03:10 PM
Standard of Excellence

Yeah, these had to be updated for fire egress. The customer does want them for security so the egress window just has a magnetic latch, just push to open. The stationary panel on the gate has a simple canebolt top and bottom, so even if deadbolted just ipen the cane bolts. I have been paid to make them, install them, cut them out, remodel them. As a general rule they are not wanted unless required by an HOA. These were originally installed in the 60s.
Old 03-30-2019, 03:49 PM
Lubrication Consultant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walker View Post
Yeah, these had to be updated for fire egress. The customer does want them for security so the egress window just has a magnetic latch, just push to open. The stationary panel on the gate has a simple canebolt top and bottom, so even if deadbolted just ipen the cane bolts. I have been paid to make them, install them, cut them out, remodel them. As a general rule they are not wanted unless required by an HOA. These were originally installed in the 60s.
I don't know why most of the ones I have been called to remove were not fire escapable by any means. And a lot of them that were the new owners had me remove them because the original homeowner lost the key/s to the fire security escapes...

What gets me is the people who mfg. a lot of them didn't even take in to consideration "The In case of fire" even though they were for security for the home it would just make sense to me there would need to be at least two places with ones made to get out of, if there were to be a fire... but I guess back then they got away with all kinds of stuff they can't get away with now.

I do like the look of nice fancy security doors and windows. Except for one I saw on a mobile home, it just looked odd and out of place, like as if you were looking only at the security guards and the mobile was missing. just gave it that appearance of them floating and nothing else there... hard to explain but maybe you get the idea of how it may have appeared... almost eerie in a way.

Nice work on the stainless by the way, forgot to mention that in the last post.

I Have Only One Wish, To Achieve "Pura Vida" In All That I Do!
Old 03-30-2019, 05:30 PM
Blast this!

I am guessing the fire rules were there . Ignored until new inspection .