Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Machining

SFT Search:   

Old 01-02-2019, 12:19 PM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lu47Dan View Post
Add a secondary pattern of 1/4" - 20 tapped holes.
Most work I have done on a plate is light machining, so it is handy to have smaller clamping accessories at times.
Dan.
I have adapters made from 1/2-13 threaded rod for this. They are simply pieces of rod about 1/2" long with a smaller thread cut in the center.

All of the holes in my fabricating tables are 1/2 -13 thread. When I need a smaller clamping arrangement I thread one or more of these adapters in the holes.

A technologically advanced society would teach their children how to start a fire by rubbing two sticks together before teaching them how to use a lighter.

Aren't energy consumption and computers supposed to make life less stressful?

If you are not having fun then you are doing it wrong.
Old 01-02-2019, 12:44 PM
Auction Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalWolf View Post
Well Chris... I cant wait to see the final product, well, I mean I have to wait but I am, looking forward to seeing it once you finish the mounting plate
It has been crappy weather here for the last month. Lots of wind and from minus temps to freezing. Waiting it out till it gets above freezing before I can do much in the shop. Going out to the wood shop today as it is insulated and heated. Gonna work on the 12 gauge inletting of the new stocks. Inletting is a slow process.

I will post some pics after I get the holes chamferred.

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies.
Groucho Marx
Old 01-02-2019, 06:23 PM
Lubrication Consultant

Quote:
Originally Posted by milomilo View Post
It has been crappy weather here for the last month. Lots of wind and from minus temps to freezing. Waiting it out till it gets above freezing before I can do much in the shop. Going out to the wood shop today as it is insulated and heated. Gonna work on the 12 gauge inletting of the new stocks. Inletting is a slow process.

I will post some pics after I get the holes chamferred.
yep I know how it is, it is cold and nasty rain here. and makes it hard to do anything, as most the work I do. is in and out of shop all day. and this month has been mostly stuff out side due to the tractor and bobcat already tore down in the shop, so no room to do what needs to be done out of the nasty weather. so I'm going to be hibernating or should say going into brumation in side the house, an just poke my head out once in a while...

I Have Only One Wish, To Achieve "Pura Vida" In All That I Do!
Old 01-02-2019, 09:37 PM
Auction Addict

It did warm up more than I expected today, so got fire going in the shop and finished the countersinks for the 1/2" holes. The 1/2" holes will be used to mount the plate to the table. The set up blocks I made a couple weeks ago will be used as spacers to bring the mounting plate off the table.

I had an old countersink cutter I have had for years and tried to use with no luck. Someone had tried to sharpen it and the cutting edges were not gound equally so chattered way to much.

So looked through my old large bits for a 1" bit with the right angle (82 degrees). Thought I had found one that would work. WRONG. It was way too flat of an angle so one hole is larger diameter than the rest. Got a different bit that matched the angle I needed to finish the other 3 holes. The larger one will still work fine. Just looks different.

Anyway, got the holes laid out for the 3/8" tapped holes, then got to late to drill them. There is always tomorrow.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SAM_2374.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	174.2 KB
ID:	148682   Click image for larger version

Name:	SAM_2375.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	198.9 KB
ID:	148683   Click image for larger version

Name:	SAM_2376.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	200.1 KB
ID:	148684  

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies.
Groucho Marx
Old 01-02-2019, 10:24 PM
Lubrication Consultant

Quote:
Originally Posted by milomilo View Post
It did warm up more than I expected today, so got fire going in the shop and finished the countersinks for the 1/2" holes. The 1/2" holes will be used to mount the plate to the table. The set up blocks I made a couple weeks ago will be used as spacers to bring the mounting plate off the table.

I had an old countersink cutter I have had for years and tried to use with no luck. Someone had tried to sharpen it and the cutting edges were not gound equally so chattered way to much.

So looked through my old large bits for a 1" bit with the right angle (82 degrees). Thought I had found one that would work. WRONG. It was way too flat of an angle so one hole is larger diameter than the rest. Got a different bit that matched the angle I needed to finish the other 3 holes. The larger one will still work fine. Just looks different.

Anyway, got the holes laid out for the 3/8" tapped holes, then got to late to drill them. There is always tomorrow.
Chris...... Two questions..

1# What are the dimensions of the milling plate you are making

2# How did you get your mill drill table so clean looks good what prosses did you use to clean it up

I Have Only One Wish, To Achieve "Pura Vida" In All That I Do!
Old 01-02-2019, 11:35 PM
Auction Addict

Quote:

2# How did you get your mill drill table so clean looks good what prosses did you use to clean it up
I do not remember the dimensions of the plate. I will get them for you tomorrow. All I remember is measuring the table and cutting the plate according to the table.

It was covered in old hardened oil when I got it, including the T slots. I used WD40, putty knife, scotchbrite, stainless tooth brushes and several rags soaked in WD40. Went through a dozen of the blue shop paper towels too. Took about an hour just to get the table cleaned. Also went though 3 pairs of latex gloves.

I did use a mill file laid flat to get any burs off too.

The rags burned real well in the wood stove.

Groucho Marx
Old 01-03-2019, 04:24 AM
Connoisseur of Old Iron

Chris, I have a flat stone about 3 x 7 inches I use to stone the mill table. At one time it was bigger, as the one end is broken off. Works well for getting the high spots cut down but will not cut a belly in the table like a file can. Got it on a box of junk at an auction years ago.
Dan.
Miller 10-E Wire Feeder
Miller Spectrum 2050 Plasma Cutter
Hobart AC/DC stick welder
Hobart 175 Mig
Craftsman O/A set
Turbo torch and B-tank
Old 01-06-2019, 04:24 PM
Auction Addict

Quote:

The mounting plate is 12" x 8". Laid out, and now drilling and tapping.

Groucho Marx
Old 01-07-2019, 08:19 PM
Auction Addict

Got the pilot and tap size holes drilled. Used the drill press, as it is much faster that the mill. Got 4 of 40 holes tapped to 3/8-16 by hand. 3 dozen left. Had a Tap Matic I got at an auction about 7 years ago, but gave it to Ron. I was sure I would never use it. Back then I had no intention of getting a mill.

Couple hours hand tapping and I will be all done. Next have to buy a 3/8-16 set of hold downs and T nuts. Could make them but not sure I want to spend the time.

Pics when done tapping.

Groucho Marx
Old 01-08-2019, 03:54 PM
Auction Addict

My mill does not have a reverse switch. My neighbor Walter looked it over and it is capable of reverse. Took of the motor cover and there is instructions for reversing, so add a box, switch and some jumper wires and then I can tap using the mill. Did a quick test swapping wires 5 &6 and it runs in reverse. Get to this on Friday after we get back from her surgery in CO.

Groucho Marx