Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Fabrication

SFT Search:   

Old 04-23-2018, 10:00 AM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper Greg View Post
If the tranny isn't suspect as of yet, I would leave it in. Raise the rear of the tranny/TC and pull crossmember and lower and unbolt the case and slide off input shaft with your floor jack.
I considered this but I was strongly motivated to replace the clutch pressure plate. I installed a rebuilt unit that I purchased from an auction and didn't consider checking it beforehand. I quickly discovered it was a racing style clutch and the pedal force required to activate is much too high for my liking.

A technologically advanced society would teach their children how to start a fire by rubbing two sticks together before teaching them how to use a lighter.

Aren't energy consumption and computers supposed to make life less stressful?

If you are not having fun then you are doing it wrong.
Old 04-23-2018, 10:21 AM
Lubrication Consultant

Quote:
Originally Posted by threepiece View Post
I believe my initial concern about the rigidity was unfounded. It really is stiff enough for what I need. I believe I was loading the structure much more during my testing than needed in use, such as testing sometimes goes.

The addition of a truss will also interfere with my ability to angle the cable. I made the top "block" wide so I can position the cable to facilitate the installation process.
Yep I agree after thinking on it a little...
It's one of those things where you have to be there in the proses to fully get what it is that needs be done and how to go about it to get it done.
and fall back on my original theory what works for one does not nessocery work for someone else...

I do see how the top bracket will aid in helping moving the trans forward and backwards to get it stabbed into place...

I am impressed with your rig there..... I have not thought of such a rigging
to help in that way..... always had to muscle the dang trans in to position on a tranny jack when I was doing transmission clutch jobs and it looks like it is what an ole crippled fart like me needs because there is no way I could do that job by my self any more either....

I will soon have to help my son with his clutch in his truck and that rig is a great idea... hope ya wont mind if I use it...

One advantage of getting older and being Handy/crafty/skilled.... is our ability to have such brain farts and put them to a reality and make them work...

And meaning most all of us on this site have such abilities and sharing those ideas makes us all the more capable of accomplishing the hard to accomplish task thrown in front of us.....

I Have Only One Wish, To Achieve "Pura Vida" In All That I Do!
Old 04-23-2018, 10:25 AM
Elite Member

Quote:

Is this to support as your unbolting to drop? Or is this to unbolt and raise up inside the cab?

I guess I'm too tired to figure this one out.
If the pictures aren't clear, I am moving things below the floor and not into the cab.

The high lift point and long cable may confuse some but I did this to increase my control of position. I actually removed the rear view mirror to gain height

A technologically advanced society would teach their children how to start a fire by rubbing two sticks together before teaching them how to use a lighter.

Old 04-27-2018, 07:48 AM
Elite Member

I could not determine what the problem is after inspecting the internals of both the transmission and transfer case. I decided to replace them with the ones from my old Cherokee. They have only 65,000 miles after I rebuilt them 15 years ago.

This hoist design will not work well on Jeeps with weak rocker panels, I suppose that limits its usefulness dramatically. Lucky for me the inner rockers are still, for the most part, intact in this Cherokee.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	192.0 KB
ID:	144729  

Old 04-27-2018, 03:54 PM
The Real Deal

ppppppppppppppppppppp
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	5555.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	180.9 KB
ID:	144740