Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Shop & Safety

SFT Search:   

Old 11-30-2018, 10:50 AM
Urban Gunfighter

Default Shop in a shop

"Shop" is my attached 2 car garage. I have way more stuff in it than I should, and have both wood and metalworking items in it. Shade and Smokin have seen it, and laugh (sympathetically, I hope).

I'm fishing for ideas on some sort of curtains or even an easy up tent type thing I can put soft sides on to make a put up/take down space in a space, if you will, to keep saw and sanding dust from covering everything, including my welding equipment and any oily/greasy things. Fine sanding dust goes EVERYWHERE, and gets into everything. I'm not expecting miracles, but want to be able to do some projects inside of a wood nature. One limitation is that I have a full width panel garage door, and second is the ceiling is 8 feet.

I would likely do temporary lighting inside the inner shop in the form of pedestal mounted led lights like a couple people have put together on the board recently.

Any ideas besides a new shop (not in the cards right now, for lots of reasons)?

thanks-

ETA:
the "tent" thing is mostly for containing sanding dust. The routers and table saw aren't a huge problem to overcome.

"I am a man of peace, but if war comes to my door it will find me home."
Old 11-30-2018, 11:52 AM
Connoisseur of Old Iron

Trimaco E-Z Up dust containment system..... Google is your friend here.
The system is not cheap, but is reusable, install a shop vac to pull air through the "room" and collect the dust.
The company that did the mold abatement at a friend's house uses that type of temporary wall system.
Dan.
Miller 10-E Wire Feeder
Miller Spectrum 2050 Plasma Cutter
Hobart AC/DC stick welder
Hobart 175 Mig
Craftsman O/A set
Turbo torch and B-tank
Old 11-30-2018, 12:58 PM
Elite Member

I've got one of these
https://www.oneida-air.com/dust-depu...-separator-kit

and a couple of the bare cyclones, plus one of the bigger ones on my modded Jet 1-1/2 horse collector -

The small ones get about 75% of the dust from my Bosch 4x24 belt sander, and at least 90% (same adapter with step-up to 2-1/2" hose) on my Porter Cable ROS...

As long as you don't try to suck up styrofoam peanuts (you'd only make this mistake ONCE ) I typically open the vac itself about once a YEAR, and find maybe a couple TEASPOONS of stuff - the rest goes straight into the 5 gallon bucket and takes SECONDS to empty.

They also make the small one in steel; I have one of those that's slated for pickup of grinding dust, etc (when I find that "round tuit" )

One of my small ones is on a "horizontal" type cart, other (probably your better bet) is done "stacked" - with the cyclone on top of the vac. I've got more pics of the way I built the stacked version if you're interested - HTH... Steve
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0823.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	198.8 KB
ID:	148321   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN2673.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	199.2 KB
ID:	148322   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN3387.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	204.8 KB
ID:	148323  
Old 11-30-2018, 01:39 PM
Lubrication Consultant

Quote:
Originally Posted by BukitCase View Post
I've got one of these
https://www.oneida-air.com/dust-depu...-separator-kit

and a couple of the bare cyclones, plus one of the bigger ones on my modded Jet 1-1/2 horse collector -

The small ones get about 75% of the dust from my Bosch 4x24 belt sander, and at least 90% (same adapter with step-up to 2-1/2" hose) on my Porter Cable ROS...

As long as you don't try to suck up styrofoam peanuts (you'd only make this mistake ONCE ) I typically open the vac itself about once a YEAR, and find maybe a couple TEASPOONS of stuff - the rest goes straight into the 5 gallon bucket and takes SECONDS to empty.

They also make the small one in steel; I have one of those that's slated for pickup of grinding dust, etc (when I find that "round tuit" )

One of my small ones is on a "horizontal" type cart, other (probably your better bet) is done "stacked" - with the cyclone on top of the vac. I've got more pics of the way I built the stacked version if you're interested - HTH... Steve
I made one of these for my blast cabinet bought the cyclone attachment for 9 bucks on line had a 5 gallon bucket already and a 40 gallon shop Vac. married them all together

but recently switched the shop vac down to a 16 gallon much less room used and considering the collector sits pretty much under my blast cabinet I'm considering down sizing the shop vac to a 6 gallon an that frees up some space and my shop vacuums that I use fairly often else where

cheapest way of making one of these is a shop vac in a bucket and the adapter buy the shopvac-in-a bucket at home depot and the cyclone adapter on line

They do work good

I Have Only One Wish, To Achieve "Pura Vida" In All That I Do!
Old 11-30-2018, 07:01 PM

I would definitely go with the cyclone, but not with a shop vac. Those motors are for short duty. I burnt one up doing the same thing. Go with a dust disposal fan. You can get one from Harbor Freight for about the same price. You will get better air flow and you can run it all day long.
Randy

Do yourself a favor, find America One News Network (OANN) on your cable carrier. 208 on Uverse. News without the Network BS or bias
Old 11-30-2018, 07:06 PM
Urban Gunfighter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lu47Dan View Post
Trimaco E-Z Up dust containment system
Those look very interesting... Not crazy expensive either...
I wonder what span between poles you can get away with.

"I am a man of peace, but if war comes to my door it will find me home."
Old 11-30-2018, 07:50 PM
Connoisseur of Old Iron

Quote:
Originally Posted by chumly2071 View Post
Those look very interesting... Not crazy expensive either...
I wonder what span between poles you can get away with.
Don't know the answer to that. But you might be able to get a downloadable instruction manual at their site.
Took awhile to find their correct name.
Dan.
Miller 10-E Wire Feeder
Miller Spectrum 2050 Plasma Cutter
Hobart AC/DC stick welder
Hobart 175 Mig
Craftsman O/A set
Turbo torch and B-tank
Old 12-03-2018, 12:49 PM
One Lone Sub

Yep what Dan said.
https://www.homedepot.com/p/ZipWall-...B&gclsrc=aw.ds
Grab a roll of 12'x400' .03mil plastic and you can build as many walls as you need. Another advantage to it is it's somewhat static-y so half of your dust collects on the plastic