Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Fabrication

SFT Search:   

Old 01-21-2015, 02:09 PM
The Real Deal

Default Go cart

I got this go cart in with the lower swing arm busted off. The man told me that he wanted the one side fixed and to redo the other side because it made out of 1/16" steel. Also he wanted a front bumper. I told him my hourly rate and he said go for it. Well I got it done but it took me 11 hrs My problem is when I look it a job like this it sure doesn't look like 11 hrs work to me and I have a hard time charging people what seems to me like a lot of money. I usually knock some of the price because I moven a little slower these days and wife says I am crazy. So from now on I am gonna charge for all my honest hours. I guess my question is does this job look like 11 hrs? If I had it to do again I could easily do it in 6 to 8 hr after all the head scratching is done.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN2025.jpg
Views:	397
Size:	95.3 KB
ID:	121533   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN2026.jpg
Views:	351
Size:	98.8 KB
ID:	121534   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN2027.jpg
Views:	352
Size:	96.8 KB
ID:	121535   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN2028.jpg
Views:	355
Size:	97.1 KB
ID:	121536  
Old 01-21-2015, 02:56 PM

Send a message via AIM to Rufus Send a message via Yahoo to Rufus

Digr:
This is a hard one to call. Grant it, you might be moving a little slower these days but, you did tell him your hourly rate and he approved it. By judging your work it was done with pride and the work was done in a good fashion. You have to charge for rods, the electric that was used, the material and other things that were involved. All I know is, if I came to you and you told me the hourly rate that you charge and I approve, I would pay you for your time.
Thanks
Rufus (Tim)
Old 01-21-2015, 05:55 PM
Post Fiend

Don't back up one bit. Add an hour or two on and Bill them. If they balk take off the surplus hours and everyone's happy.

Sent from my ipotato
Old 01-21-2015, 06:49 PM
Elite Member

This is one spot that my boss is always in. He takes on a job thinking it should only be about an hour and then we have three or four into it. And like you said, it would go quicker second time after all the planning and thinking. But you should get paid for the thinking time too. Henry Ford said " Thinking is the hardest work there is. That is why so few people do it!"
Did you give him a ballpark estimate of how much time you would have? If not go with what Neal said and figure in some bargain room. One other thought could this lead to some more repeat business?
One thing my boss has done in the past is prepare two bills, one for the full time involved and if he squirms too much and not going to pay, give him the other adjusted one with what you would think would be good if you was paying for it yourself.

Brian

You don't know what you don't know.

"It's what you learn after you know it all that counts." John Wooden
Old 01-21-2015, 07:18 PM
The Real Deal

Quote:
Originally Posted by toprecycler View Post
This is one spot that my boss is always in. He takes on a job thinking it should only be about an hour and then we have three or four into it. And like you said, it would go quicker second time after all the planning and thinking. But you should get paid for the thinking time too. Henry Ford said " Thinking is the hardest work there is. That is why so few people do it!"
Did you give him a ballpark estimate of how much time you would have? If not go with what Neal said and figure in some bargain room. One other thought could this lead to some more repeat business?
One thing my boss has done in the past is prepare two bills, one for the full time involved and if he squirms too much and not going to pay, give him the other adjusted one with what you would think would be good if you was paying for it yourself.

Brian
I called him after I finished the first swing arm and told him I had 4 hrs in it and if he still wanted the other side done and he said go for it. The first side I had to take everything apart and straighten a bent shock and make patterns for the brackets, the other side was done in 2 hrs. The rest of the time was on the bumper, making brackets, running for steel and so on. I was gone 1 hr for the steel, that leaves 4 hr for the bumper, cutting and fitting. As I wright this it doesn't seam like its to much after all.
Old 01-21-2015, 07:47 PM
Elite Member

I work in a facility that is loaded with people who are, for the most part, well paid to sit down and think. It sometimes takes me several hours, even a day or more to give them an estimate on how long it will take me to make something for them, I get paid for that time too.

If the customer did not supply a drawing then you should charge for your design work. If however, after being paid, your design fails you should be prepaired to compensate for it.

A technologically advanced society would teach their children how to start a fire by rubbing two sticks together before teaching them how to use a lighter.

Aren't energy consumption and computers supposed to make life less stressful?

If you are not having fun then you are doing it wrong.
Old 01-21-2015, 08:12 PM
Karma Avenger

Funny, I just had the same issue at work. A guy brought in a Yamaha FJR1300 ABS model and wanted the brake lines & clutch lines replaced with Galfer stainless steel lines. Also wanted the valves adjusted, spark plugs and the throttle bodies synched. Had to change the coolant to get the valve cover off. When I first started the job, I was thinking about 4 hours max. When the dust cleared, I had about 12 hours in it.

The time hog was the brake lines. It took me two days to change those things. The problem was the interface between the stainless lines and the OEM hard lines. They are your typical AN 37 degree flare fitting but getting them loose was a major ordeal. You have to use a flare nut wrench on them and there's no clearance so you end up taking a bunch of other things off to get access. Plus the front line from the master cylinder must have been cross threaded from the factory. Unscrewing that single line took me over an hour. I had to put so much force into it, I thought it was going to break off every turn. It was one of those jobs I would have like to sublet to somebody else. Didn't really have a good idea of what to charge so I called one of the local Yamaha shops.

Took me a while to get him to give me an estimate but he said it would run about $1200 labor. I ran that by the customer and said I was going to charge him half of that. He didn't seem real happy about it but he paid it. When I offered to lower the price, he said it was a fair price based on how long it took. This time of year around here I'm happy to have anything at all so it was fine by me. Being a whore I never turn down money. He must have been OK with it because he tossed me a $40 tip too.
Old 01-22-2015, 03:05 AM

You HAVE to figure in design time, its part of the process. Just as in woodwork people want solid wood for particle board prices, and they have to be brought back to reality, you want quality design and craftsmanship, well it costs a lil bit, but it will last

Hobart Handler 140, 4 1/2" B&D Grinder, HF 4 1/2" Grinder.10" Table Saw, Drill Press, Compound Sliding Miter Saw, Planer, Joiner, Routers, Wood Lathe, other misc saws and tools, clamps galore
Old 01-22-2015, 06:57 AM

Also You have to keep in mind when steel has to be picked up,nobody gives You free fuel.Just My past experience.When it's a one of job,it always takes a little extra time to make sure the job is done right.I always tell the person that if a problem arises out of the use of repaired part,I'll look after it,at no charge,if it fails.I believe thats the right thing to do.
Old 01-22-2015, 07:49 AM
Perpetuus Discipulus de Vita

All great advice here. I would also remind you simply that this is a one off part and falls into custom work with that bumper. "Custom" = "Money".

Good looking bumper for the application!

David Finch Mixed Media Creations
My YouTube Channel

"Of all of our inventions for mass communication, pictures still speak the most universally understood language." - Walt Disney

"Formal education will make you a living;
Self education will make you a fortune." - Jim Rohn