Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Blacksmithing & Forming

SFT Search:   

Old 06-21-2013, 07:06 AM
Elite Member

Default Van Norman #12 and Box and Pan brake

OK. Pics are coming after the weekend but I fell into a situation that I wasn't looking for but it is welcomed.

At my wife's cousin's daughter's open house last weekend I spoke with one of the uncles who is a retired industrial arts teacher. He said his neighbor had passed and there was some equipment for sale and that he was doing the selling for the widow.

Some of the stuff was to be kept, some was sold to the aforementioned uncle but there was a Van Norman #12 and a 4ft Ward manufacturing (Chicago) box and pan brake available. $200 each.

The brake is in excellent condition.

The Van Norman has no slop whatsoever in the X and Y directions. A bunch of collets comes with it along with the overarm support which I gather is missing on many.

The uncle was asking me what some of the incidentals were and one thing that was under a mill/drill was a decent looking manual rotary table. He asked if it would be useful. I said yes. He put it on the VN and said it's included in the price.

I'm at least picking up the brake this weekend.

The mill is surrounded by a walk-in cooler that will have to be dismantled. The cooler was so that the work area could be heated with a light bulb and to keep the machinery rust free.

Well the VN does have some rust but the mechanical condition seems good, the guy took great care of everything and I'm really excited.

I really would liked to have something with a quill but that will come later. I have drill presses.

Pics after the weekend.

Jeff

I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess.--Red Green

Home is where the G91G28X0Y0 is.
Old 06-21-2013, 11:38 AM
Curmudgeon

Lessee here if I got this straight: this deal is coming from your wife's cousin's daughter's uncle's neighbor - right?
And you're getting a mill with a bunch of accessories and a 4 ft brake for $400 with no likelihood of there ever being a warrant issued over the deal.

I'm not even Catholic but I'm thinking I'd probably need to go to confession or something.

"Dr. Chandran, will I dream?"

Just Keep Walking

"Passionate hatred can give meaning and purpose to an empty life. Thus people haunted by the purposelessness of their lives try to find a new content not only by dedicating themselves to a holy cause but also by nursing a fanatical grievance. A mass movement offers them unlimited opportunities for both."
Eric Hoffer The True Believer 1951
Old 06-21-2013, 12:06 PM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutter View Post
Lessee here if I got this straight: this deal is coming from your wife's cousin's daughter's uncle's neighbor - right?
And you're getting a mill with a bunch of accessories and a 4 ft brake for $400 with no likelihood of there ever being a warrant issued over the deal.

I'm not even Catholic but I'm thinking I'd probably need to go to confession or something.
Yeah it's the wife's uncle I'm dealing with. A really great guy in the first place that I have a lot of respect for.

Old 06-21-2013, 06:28 PM
Maine-iac

Send a message via MSN to akabull

That is an awesome deal. Looking forward to the pics.
Old 06-21-2013, 07:46 PM
Connoisseur of Old Iron

Jeff, sounds like a very good deal.
We will see once you post up the pictures of it setting in your shop, if an award is in order.
A Van Norman is a very useful machine, more versatile than a BP mill but takes a little longer to get the swing of.
Dan.
Miller 10-E Wire Feeder
Miller Spectrum 2050 Plasma Cutter
Hobart AC/DC stick welder
Hobart 175 Mig
Craftsman O/A set
Turbo torch and B-tank
Old 06-23-2013, 07:40 AM
Sultan of Scrounge

I dont know about the brake but a VN is a sweet machine.
Old 06-23-2013, 01:11 PM
Elite Member

Ok this story is getting more complicated and more interesting as we go. I'll do my best to do it justice.

FIL and I went yesterday with my '99 PSD and gooseneck trailer to pick up the sheet metal brake and possibly the mill, or at least come up with a plan for the mill. We, as always, take his NH skid-steer. That thing has a lot of miles riding on my trailer.

Well we got there and my wife's uncle was there, along with the deceased man's best friend since kindergarten, and his wife who is obviously friends with the widow. Nice people all of them. The friend that was there actually owned some of the equipment as the two men worked together on projects. They both had been millwrights at GM before retiring.

Well there was a Buffalo Ironworker (old school punch press) that was priced at $150 the other night. I knew that wasn't much more than scrap price but I really didn't need it and had spent more than I wanted to spend even though I was getting stuff at a more than fair price.

The widow really wanted the stuff gone so the men asked me if I would take the punch press for $100 and even asked me if I could make money on it. A friend of mine just a couple miles from there I thought could probably use it so I figured I would stop at his place on the way home.

Next, I had mentioned in the first post that the Van Norman was in a walk-in cooler. That was for sale now too. They wanted an offer but I absolutely did not want to insult anyone so I asked them to price it. They came back with $100. It is about 12'x12'x7'. I figure i can get the Van Norman and squeeze my big LeBlond in it.

I had paid $200 for the brake the other night and brought $200 with me to pay for the VN.

Well FIL had firewood cash in his pocket so he spotted me for the punch press and walk-in cooler, total $200 for those (2) items.

Before I left I had been eyeballing a 10" bench grinder. the friend said it was a $400 outfit a few years ago. Price to me $75--need to pay for that yet.

Wells 58B bandsaw good shape without blade. $40. It looks better than the one I gave $500 for a few years ago--need to pay for that yet also.

So I owe $115 yet and have to pick up the VN, Wellsaw, bench grinder and walk-in cooler.

My buddy Terry wanted the punch press so I sold it to him for what I, I mean FIL, had in it, $100.

So long story longer, 1st pic below is the brake, the punch press and FIL's skid-steer on my trailer.

2nd pic --same stuff with my truck in it

3rd pic--FIL sitting on the trailer, Buddy Terry standing, his son Rich by the forklift mast.

4th-Van Norman #12
5th pic- rotary table

The rotary table is so Asain that it has no English lettering on it whatsoever. It is smooth and I think will work well.--it came with teh VN along with a bunch of other stuff I will post about tomorrow.

Jeff
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	equip.jpg
Views:	303
Size:	100.0 KB
ID:	106944   Click image for larger version

Name:	truck.jpg
Views:	306
Size:	97.8 KB
ID:	106945   Click image for larger version

Name:	cat side.jpg
Views:	295
Size:	91.4 KB
ID:	106946   Click image for larger version

Name:	vn.jpg
Views:	329
Size:	90.0 KB
ID:	106947   Click image for larger version

Name:	rotary.jpg
Views:	285
Size:	96.2 KB
ID:	106948  

Old 06-23-2013, 01:26 PM
The Real Deal

WOW way to go but you definitely Suck!!!!!!!!!
Old 06-23-2013, 01:28 PM
Elite Member

A little more on the punch press.

It was 110 volt which really surprised me. It also came with a Metric boatload of punches and dies. OK, half of a 5 gallon pail anyway.

Once in Terry's shop it fired up and cycled well. No safety provisions whatsoever so OSHA need not know about anything.

Speaking of single phase, the Van Norman is 220V, single phase..Bonus.

Last edited by JH35; 06-23-2013 at 01:30 PM. Reason: SP
Old 06-23-2013, 03:10 PM
Auction Addict

Wow, what a you suck day!!!!

Liberty has never come from Government. Liberty has always come from the subjects of it. The history of liberty is a history of limitations of governmental power, not the increase of it.
Woodrow Wilson