Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Blacksmithing & Forming

SFT Search:   

Old 11-28-2012, 04:59 AM
Lord of the Minions

Quote:
Me and fire don't get along.
I know you realize how that statement as well as not having Acty or at least Propane and O2 at your disposal limits what you can and cannot do. I can respect that.

My question is, and I'll re-read your initial post/question, what bend radius are you looking for?

I might as well mention that if that is the press frame your going to use, 20 ton, upping the tonnage of the cyl etc will render the press frame to tweakage in most unusual ways.

FWIW, my small press frame was manf'd for a 50 ton bottle jack and using it to the point of stalling the jack will already allow me to see tweakage of the cross channels. Beafing that up has allowed me to stop that problem and still my beating heart somewhat, but I'm now looking at the rest of the frame while I'm pushing it to it's limits.

Like I mentioned above, just a kindly mention.

Quoting "The Hunt". "A man will walk into hell with both eyes and arms wide open. His dog will know better."

I never thought I'd live long enough to become a grumpy old bastard. Here I am, killing it!
Old 11-28-2012, 06:34 AM

Default bending 3" x 1/2" bar stock

if you go on eBay,you can find a lot of press brake tooling for cheap..much less than new,some manufacturers also sell drops or cutoffs of die material for discount $$ there.A little money spent on a die will pay off for years,its not like it goes bad or wears out unless you hit it all day long..
Old 11-30-2012, 02:36 PM

Smile

bunkclimber,

I tried ebay for v blocks. They were 3" inches long or more then I'd pay, like $600 for 12". I've got a great press bar. 3/4" x 19" long. Just looking for the right V block.

I think Ironman has the answer with 2" round stock. I have to go to a different metal supplier, more $, 4' x 2 1/2" round bar, with a "T" square shoved between them. That will give me back my 20" width. I got a 60" x 5" x 1/2" flat bar I might use for base. With 32 tons.

----------------------

LW Hiway,

1) For last two years I've had fire dept here (both years... welding).

2) "tweakage in most unusual ways." funny but very true.

I think with my plasma cutters I could operate on the old Harbor Fright Frame quite nicely.

3) "Like I mentioned above, just a kindly mention."

A very kindly, "Your welcome." Well spoken.

4) Nice tractor but front loader kit is not available for that brand of tractor. The owner will be totally involved, I'm helping him, it's his project. Cut here, I cut it, weld here I'll weld it. I was looking at building some heavy mounts to bolt to category 2 tractor for front loader install. There very well maybe 90 degree bends. This is where the plasma table will be coming in. Making brackets with CAD and cutting them out with CAM. This week I paid off dealer for there CAD/CAM software, $. Hopefully plasma table will come on line this year. Small table, but I don't need a bracket larger then 2' x 2'.

Looked at 50 ton Air over Hyd, The reviews say they start to leak at max pressure. Thought I'd look at a smaller one that will leak at only 32 ton.

I'm for Peace, "I'm a reloader".

Last edited by Vern2; 11-30-2012 at 03:12 PM.
Old 11-30-2012, 03:48 PM

If you're looking for a source of round bars, go see your local hydraulic repair shop. Their dumpster will likely contain a wide selection of bent or scored cylinder rods and the price is right. It's all just junk to them.

“The thing about quotes on the internet is you cannot confirm their validity” Abraham Lincoln
Old 11-30-2012, 04:29 PM
Grumpy Bastard

Quote:
Originally Posted by FabberMcGee View Post
If you're looking for a source of round bars, go see your local hydraulic repair shop. Their dumpster will likely contain a wide selection of bent or scored cylinder rods and the price is right. It's all just junk to them.
You should tell him about how to cut them...

"Prepare to defend yourselves."
-- Sergeant Major Basil L. Plumley, Ia Drang Valley
Old 11-30-2012, 04:30 PM
The Real Deal

Using this setup 1/2"X 4" FB is not a problem