Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Fabrication

SFT Search:   

Old 11-17-2012, 07:47 PM

How about an alternate simple solution like an automotive scissors jack mounted between the bottom drill press stand and the table. I think even a small hydraulic jack would work also. Does not even seem like it would need to be permanently mounted to anything. Just stick it in there, jack up the table and lock it in place. Some of the auto scissors jacks are only a few inches high in there lowest position.
Old 11-17-2012, 11:52 PM
Armchair Webbie

Nice job, Bruce.
For a floor model drill press, an old Fiat jack would be ideal. The screw has an enclosure around it and enclosed miter gears at the top, with a crank. With very little adaptation, it would work much like a factory set-up.

I used one for the tilt mechanism on my version of a "fork snatch".

Dave
Old 11-18-2012, 10:22 AM
Voice of Experience

Install a chip brush..

"If we ever forget that we're one nation under God, then we will
be a nation gone under". ~Ronald Reagan

We should have picked our own cotton...

I love my women hot and my beer ice cold..
Old 11-18-2012, 01:10 PM

Good idea, I like it.

I'm wondering if you could turn it upside down and have it pull the table up instead of push. It appears to me that you only have an inch or so of down travel left. That may not be enough for a lot of drilling jobs.

Retired hospital style beds are another good source for linear actuators. They show up at the dumpster sites here occasionally and I have several of the actuators in my inventory now.

“The thing about quotes on the internet is you cannot confirm their validity” Abraham Lincoln
Old 11-18-2012, 04:35 PM
Sorcerer's Apprentice

Well, this is what I came up with. I replaced the thin metal on the saddle and it works much better now. I found a piece of aluminum tube that just fit over the screw per the suggestions made by some of you guys.

I found a washer in one of my plumbing boxes that is not quite rubber, not quite plastic, but it would fit inside the tube. I reamed the center hole out, applied some gorrila glue, and pushed it onto the screw. It seems to form a pretty good gasket. I think it will serve well to keep the chips off the upper section. Thanks for the suggestion.

I welded a ball bearing onto a bolt and made a swivel to hold a broom holder that I had laying around. I mounted it to the table and put a hose from a small shop vac that I have into the holder. It swivels around with the vise and I can adjust the angle pretty easily, so maybe it will reduce the threat ok. I just saw Moe's suggestion for a chip brush, and think I will try to incorporate his suggestion.

I couldn't find an electrical box so I cut some angle iron and made a box to hold the switch. I added the limit switch into the circuit, and mounted it to the bottom of the stroke. I also fabbed up a screw to provide the stop,so now I won't be able to go too far on the down stroke. I didn't put one on the upstroke, surely I won't keep holding the momentary switch until it rams into the chuck.

I also added an in line fuse, and attached everything to a lawn mower battery I had laying around. I clipped on a battery tender, so I think it will run the table all I will need it to.

Thanks again to all for your input. I really appreciate it.
Bruce
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	drill press 4.jpg
Views:	231
Size:	91.5 KB
ID:	97868   Click image for larger version

Name:	drill press 5.jpg
Views:	210
Size:	95.4 KB
ID:	97869  
Old 11-18-2012, 05:44 PM
The Real Deal

Good job using what you had laying around!