Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Fabrication

SFT Search:   

Old 11-12-2012, 10:25 PM
The Right Stuff

Send a message via AIM to tigman250 Send a message via MSN to tigman250

Quote:
Originally Posted by H80N View Post
Tigman...

I beg to differ... you must be looking at cuts made with worn out consumables and wet air.. they tend to be slaggy with uneven kerf...

But with dry air, good consumables, proper settings and travel speed....
the cuts can be clean and beautiful...
here is a repost of the Plasmacam demo.. to give you a better idea...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K5YEurZP2V8

I am talking hand cuts with a template, we have an optical table but it is far from CNC quality cuts

If it's worth having, it's worth working for

I carry a gun because I'm too young to die and too old to take an ass whoopin!
Old 11-12-2012, 10:26 PM

Yeah I have. The 'laser guys' said check out waterjet it's cheaper than laser. I got a hold of maybe 30 places and the ones that got back to me all said they wouldn't be able to be the laser price.

Go figure.
Old 11-12-2012, 10:30 PM
One Wonderful Lady!

Quote:
Originally Posted by H80N View Post

BTW... Enjoyed your YouTube Video..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oXFEu424hks
Excellent!!!

Rated M for MAGA
Old 11-12-2012, 11:23 PM
Curmudgeon

Matt, first of all, I really admire your grit and ambition. It is a marvelous undertaking and I'm excited to see it unfold. I don't want to do anything to discourage you.

But I'm afraid that trying to shortcut around reality with a hand held plasma cutter and a cheap one at that is very probably going to ruin a lot of material and possibly rob you of your dreams.

I love dreams and I applaud all dreamers who have the guts to bring them to life but let me tell you about cheap plasma cutters: they suck.
Mine would have to improve a whole lot just to suck. I haven't even turned it on for at least a year; that's how disappointing it has been in my experience. I can be dragging it against a straight edge for several inches then it'll decide to start blowing a bevel & wind up cutting sideways under the straightedge and ruin the part. Or it'll just flame out, end the cut right in the middle.

And I paid well over $1000 for it. It's just too small, too weak and too undependable for even modest expectations. The kind of precision you require would be completely out of the question.

Ironman, on the other hand, has the equipment and the skill and the knowledge to deliver the kind of work you need. We have several members here with the right stuff.
Whether he or any of them are inclined to do it is another matter but listen to them and take them seriously.

"Dr. Chandran, will I dream?"

Just Keep Walking

"Passionate hatred can give meaning and purpose to an empty life. Thus people haunted by the purposelessness of their lives try to find a new content not only by dedicating themselves to a holy cause but also by nursing a fanatical grievance. A mass movement offers them unlimited opportunities for both."
Eric Hoffer The True Believer 1951
Old 11-13-2012, 01:25 AM
Director: Apprentice Gatekeeper

The problem I have with doing thin stuff and my baby Hobart plasma is that I can't move fast enough. I get more gunk build up because of that than anything else. On the gauges you're talking about needing, it'd be a crap shoot at best.

Now, that said I wouldn't go without my plasma for anything (except a bigger machine).

Of course, I like a challenge... if you have some drawings you could send I'd be willing to build some templates and try it by hand.

Add me to the list of truly impressed. Glad to make your acquaintance. If you ever need some fishing lures, give me a shout
Old 11-13-2012, 06:02 AM

Awesome. Thanks guys. I'll defer to the guys with more experience on this one. It sounds like you all saved me $$$$ and hours and hours of frustration in a cold garage. Thanks much.

I'll find a guy with the required machine and required knowledge and stick to the more guitar making bits until I can get my own.
Old 11-13-2012, 06:54 AM

As mentioned earlier, if it was me, I would outsource the work to a waterjet cutting company, they can cut to extremely fine tolerances and there is no heat distortion and cuts are very clean. They also can cut through virtually any material.

Cheers

Ed.

-----------------------------------------
Miller Auto Invision 456 + S-62 Wirefeeder
G6240B1 Gap bed lathe
16 speed pedestal drill
16Ft3 air compressor
Hafco BS-912 Bandsaw
Everlast Powerpro 256

Recipient of the Finger Award™... twice
Old 11-13-2012, 07:33 AM
Iron Modification Investigator

Thanks for that Rod.
Your guitar design seems very simple to do for either plasma or water jet or laser.
You will have no success cutting this by hand if you are doing more than one. It would take forever
If you want help PM me and we can talk

The virtue is always a cover for the sin. That's the key to understanding the modern left. Whatever they're accusing you of doing, they are doing themselves but more enthusiastically. And that's definitely the story of Justin Trudeau. Tucker Carlson
Old 11-13-2012, 11:23 AM

Smile

Hi Mattbob,

Ya, 22 gage is hard to do by hand, because of the speed you have to go, for good edges. Here's a video of some HVAC being cut, link below. They are not using fine cut torch consumables, but the speeds will give you an idea of plasma and thin sheet metal. It should also give you an idea why some plasma tables can't cut 22 gauge. PlasmaCam can run 1000 inches per minute, with up to .0005 of an inch. Problems are compounded with cheap plasma cutters and not being able to keep a constant speed and distance over the sheet metal, constant height is .062 of an inch, speed is around 200 inches a minutes.

Thin sheet metal cutting.

How much clean up is there in hand cutting Art, not easy.

PlasmaCam software is very costly, that's the only Con. The Pros are endless great plasma table. I see Shop Floor Talk has GoTorch as a sponsor now. The cost of the software is slowing me down, from getting my GoTorch table running. Why, I want to do my own design work (software $$). With pre designed DXF files you can start cutting your Guitars in 22 gage as soon as you unpack it. There is a learning curve, but everything is there. Except the plasma torch and air compressor you have to provide. Here's two good tables. GoTorch Torchmate Max speed for small Torchmate tables is 150 inches per minute. May not be fast enough for 22 gauge.

Last edited by Vern2; 11-13-2012 at 12:39 PM.
Old 11-13-2012, 12:18 PM
That Man Behind The Curtain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vern2 View Post
Hi Mattbob,

Ya, 22 gage is hard to do by hand, because of the speed you have to go, for good edges. Here's a video of some HVAC being cut, link below. They are not using fine cut torch consumables, but the speeds will give you an idea of plasma and thin sheet metal. The problems are compounded with cheap plasma cutters and not being able to keep a constant speed and distance over the sheet metal, constant height is .062 of an inch, speed is around 200 inches a minutes.

Thin sheet metal cutting.

How much clean up is there in hand cutting Art, not easy.

PlasmaCam software is very costly, that's the only Cons. The Pros are endless great plasma table. I see Shop Floor Talk has GoTorch as a sponsor now. The cost of the software is slowing me down, from getting my GoTorch table running. Why, I want to do my own design work (software $$). With pre designed DXF files you can start cutting your Guitars in 22 gage as soon as you unpack it. There is a learning curve, but everything is there. Except the plasma torch and air compressor you have to provide. Here's two good tables. GoTorch Torchmate

Vern...

The part that you forgot to mention is that the Plasmacam software comes as part of the package and is included in the price when you buy a Plasmacam 4x4 cnc table....(I know that was true when I bought mine)

Didn't you buy a little 2x2ft Gotorch table??.... what happened to make you start promoting Torchmate?? have you setup and used the Gotorch yet?? there is a bit of a learning curve...

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain..

The more you Know, The Better you Know, How little you Know (old Estonian saying)