Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Fabrication

SFT Search:   

Old 11-08-2012, 09:48 PM
Director: Fish Seduction

I think someone posted something similar to that the other day. I havn't quite gotten to that point yet, but close. For tonight it'll sit in tension and soak up some Blaster. I tried everything but just giving it time, we'll see.
Old 11-08-2012, 10:48 PM
Elite Member

My dad made a bung wrench many years ago using an old 4-way tire wrench. He welded a piece of 1/2" square on two of the socket ends, one that would fit the large bung, and one that would fit into the small bung. I think he also ground one socket end into a screw driver type end, for really small bung caps.
Now if I could only find it when I need it, it would be great. (Is this a sign of having too many tools spread out in too many places?)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	4waybung.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	75.8 KB
ID:	97589  

You don't know what you don't know.

"It's what you learn after you know it all that counts." John Wooden

Last edited by toprecycler; 11-08-2012 at 10:51 PM. Reason: better picture
Old 11-09-2012, 01:28 AM
Maine-iac

Send a message via MSN to akabull

I now have my very own bung wrench from Mcmaster-carr, but before I used to take a large pair of channel-locks held vertically and spread the jaws to fit the bung and use the handles to spin it off.
Old 11-09-2012, 01:58 AM

If you're in a hurry, just bend a 90 about a 1/2 inch from the end of a piece of 2" flat bar.

“The thing about quotes on the internet is you cannot confirm their validity” Abraham Lincoln
Old 11-09-2012, 02:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brucew View Post
So when I got home I made one from a piece of pipe I had laying around and a short section of sucker rod.
Apparently I'm the only one that doesn't know, what's "sucker rod?"
1960 Bridgeport J-head | Grizzly 10x22 | HF bandsaw | Rigid 4.5” angle grinder (+2 cheapie HF ones)
BFH
Old 11-09-2012, 02:21 AM
Roving Reporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverback View Post
Apparently I'm the only one that doesn't know, what's "sucker rod?"
The downhole pump in an oil well is typically connected to the nodding donkey pump jack with sucker rods. They are available in 1/2" through 1 1/4" in assorted grades of steel and fibreglass. http://www.norrisrods.com/products_rods_all.asp There is even an continuous steel rod available as well as "hollow" sucker rod.

Because they often rub on the inside of the production tubing (especially if the well isn't perfectly straight), sucker rods are often worn and swapped out. Scrap yards around oil regions often have used worn sucker rods around. Some never make it to the scrap yards because they get snapped up for welding stock or fences or...
Old 11-09-2012, 05:20 AM

Nice Wrench Bruce +1 on spreading channelocks akabull

If your scared say your scared!!! :eek

That's Harder Than Chinese Arithmetic!!
Old 11-09-2012, 05:27 AM

I need one of those for my rain barrels right now. The polypropylene seems to bind the threads every time. I usually use some jury-rigged piece of rebar crap I made but now I can't find it.

Our Republic can survive a Barack Obama, who is merely a fool. It is less likely to survive a multitude of fools such as those who made him our president.
Old 11-09-2012, 05:56 AM
Lord of the Minions

I thought everyone had a bung wrench in solid brass or bronze or something that color. Ours probably should have sailed on the Titanic, but it's still with us.

It has gone missing twice in my lifetime but both times I found it hanging in my clepto Uncles shop. The last time I found it I called him a friggin thief and that was the end of that relationship. The man had money but would steal anything from anyone if he could fit it in his pocket or walk away with it unseen.

Quoting "The Hunt". "A man will walk into hell with both eyes and arms wide open. His dog will know better."

I never thought I'd live long enough to become a grumpy old bastard. Here I am, killing it!
Old 11-09-2012, 06:57 AM
Sorcerer's Apprentice

Thanks for the feedback everyone. I had tried the channelocks, screwdrivers, and even the little wrench used to tighten the angle grinder, but this bung was just not moving.

I had remembered that Cutter had made a "special" tool for using on sinks, so I swiped his concept for making this wrench.

Dubby, I hate to laugh at someone's misfortune, but your posts made me laugh out loud.