Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Fabrication

SFT Search:   

Old 07-01-2004, 04:46 PM
Banned

Default Little Silver Wagon

Hell, everybody has a red one, and since the silver paint was free, this one is a silver wagon.
Actually, the only thing I paid for on this project was the MIG wire and Co2.
Everything else came off one JUNQUE pile or another. Also, naturally the WIFF asked "what do we need that for", witch translates into it will take her 2 weeks to find it indispensable.
The handle has interchangable pieces so it can either be pulled by hand, or hooked behind HER garden tractor.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Mvc-003s.jpg
Views:	544
Size:	33.7 KB
ID:	315  
Old 07-01-2004, 04:48 PM
Banned

Front view
Yes, those are wheel blocks, and the front end did come from a garden tractor some rich guy was throwing out.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Mvc-004s.jpg
Views:	433
Size:	52.4 KB
ID:	316  
Old 07-01-2004, 04:51 PM
Banned

Rear view
The wheels were drivers from another "tractor" so I inserted oilite bearings that accomodated the difference in diameter between the hub and the axel.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Mvc-005s.jpg
Views:	343
Size:	41.9 KB
ID:	318  
Old 07-01-2004, 06:14 PM
Elite Member

Send a message via Yahoo to 7018

Hell Franz i would tell ya that u done a fne job on that! But i guess u already new that so i'm not sayng nothng!!
Old 07-01-2004, 07:08 PM

i bet that would make a great cart to pull around an engine drive welder!
Old 07-01-2004, 08:38 PM
SFT HVAC Guru

Send a message via AIM to rickairmedic Send a message via MSN to rickairmedic Send a message via Yahoo to rickairmedic

well now thats purdy dang nifty franz I am gonna have too start grabbin up some rich peaples lawn mowers myself :P looks much easier too just weld on a complete front end than makin one. I also like the linked rear end on it which looks like it took a little geometry and fabin time .

Rick
Old 07-01-2004, 08:40 PM

Franz, that thing looks like it would be perfect for hauling field stones. Most wagons just aren't up to the job.
Old 07-01-2004, 09:11 PM
Stickman

Thumbs up

Niffty! This is a very good example of recycling old junk into something useful. If more people were welders there would be a lot less in the landfills.
Old 07-01-2004, 10:33 PM
Banned

I think there's more time in walkin around to the various storage spots and pickin pieces than there is in weldin on this baby.
Once the box frame was nailed together, I flipped it upside down, and installed the rear wheels, and tweaked them square to the frame with a couple pipe clamps, so I could put the rear diagonal tubes (1/2"EMT) into place and hold the axel square.
The biggest PITA was determining how far to build the front axel mount down so the bed would be level, so since I was too damn lazy to do the math, I just blocked that in place and measured it up. That math stuff is too much like what engineers do, and since I wanted this to come out right the first time, I resorted to tried and true methods.
The steering got a bit interesting, but I worked that out with a long slot that engaged the steering post on the axel assembly.
All in all, I only made 1 part I had to reject, and didn't need to cut anything out and replace it, so I call it a success.
The frightening part was tonight, Lawn Nazi actually pulled it around and tested it out. Naturally, she informed me it is a very heavy wagon, but she figures that works out cause it is also very high flotation. This may be a world record in elapsed time between me building a damn useless device, and her testing it.
Total build time, including paint is about 5 hours, and that includes assembling all material.
As far as using it to hold a gas drive, I'd want to tube the tires, cause garden tractor tires are notoriously poor quality, and I wouldn't want to dump a machine.
Old 07-01-2004, 11:01 PM

Pretty nice for an old codger. Are you sure you didn't need to brake some part of it? I tried out my new toy and made a transition for fan/grain bin. It walked through #14 Ga. sheet like it wasn't there. Took pictures but left the camera in the shed.
Getting old and forgetful.
Ed B.