Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Fabrication

SFT Search:   

Old 06-21-2004, 09:32 PM
King of Procrastinators

Default Removing broken bolt

Did it this time. Had to remove a lower shock bolt to find out why the shock was hitting the frame. Broke the bolt off inside the axle (1992 Dodge Grand Caravan). Well I drilled out part of the bolt and tried a screw/bolt extractor. Broke that too (also inside the drilled out bolt). How what do I do? Thought about welding a nut to the bolt but not enough of a purchase. And my welding skills are that good either.

Has anyone ever done this before? How did you get the bolt out? I though about drilling the entire thing and cutting new threads with a larger bolt but I not sure that would be the best alternative. Oh, BTW it is metric.

Any suggestions?
Old 06-21-2004, 09:40 PM
Let There Be Light

somewhere in the bowels of my shop I remember taking an air gun extention and welding a stud remover to it.

then I remember drilling a hole in the bolt and then leaning heavy on the air gun and the bolt was out in 2 seconds...

my plan B was nuclear explosives.

growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional
Old 06-21-2004, 09:57 PM
Stickman

Unhappy

Sorry to say that if you have already been drilling away at it you are in for more hard work and bad language. Next time you break off a bolt try this; Take a flat washer with a hole that is just a little smaller than the diameter of the bolt and weld it on to the bolt (plug weld). This is a lot easier than trying to weld inside a nut. Grind the weld flat with the washer and then weld on another one. After four or five washers you will have what amouts to a new head on the bolt. Now weld on a nut either on the inside or outside, whichever is easiest. This process takes just long enough to thoroughly heat the whole bolt which in most cases will loosen up the rust enough to get it out.

Sorry that I can't help you with the problem that you have now.
Old 06-21-2004, 10:02 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by grumpy
Did it this time. Had to remove a lower shock bolt to find out why the shock was hitting the frame. Broke the bolt off inside the axle (1992 Dodge Grand Caravan). Well I drilled out part of the bolt and tried a screw/bolt extractor. Broke that too (also inside the drilled out bolt). How what do I do? Thought about welding a nut to the bolt but not enough of a purchase. And my welding skills are that good either.

Has anyone ever done this before? How did you get the bolt out? I though about drilling the entire thing and cutting new threads with a larger bolt but I not sure that would be the best alternative. Oh, BTW it is metric.

Any suggestions?
If you do try to drill it all out and cut new threads youll have to get a special drill bit to drill that easy out, and its not cheap... So unless you want to go buy a drill bit id think of somthin else...

- John Deere
Old 06-21-2004, 11:54 PM
Karma Avenger

You may want to consider somebody else in your town that has a EDM machine to burn out that EZout. Out here on the left coast there a quite a few people that specialize in removing bolts/EZout/drill bits/etc. Myself, the majority of the work I do with my TIG welder is removing broken off bolts. I do that by welding a stalagmite onto the broken off bolt and then working the bolt with a pair of vice grips. Kroil penetrant works pretty good with this method. The down side to this method is if it won't come loose the damn bolt gets harder than the hubs of hell and is about impossible to drill. You can heat it up and let it cool slowly and hopefully it will anneal enough to drill. All my stuff is broken off in aluminum.
Old 06-22-2004, 12:09 AM
Banned

I've been meanin to get around to tryin this idea, but somehow I haven't managed to need it since I found this web site http://pico-systems.com/edm.html

Now, my thinkin is I could eliminate the power supply by substituting the TIG power supply, and see if I get away with it.
Old 06-22-2004, 06:41 AM

Send a message via AIM to banzaitoyota

I always start conservitive. If it has a nub I weld on the washer and the nut. If not start off with a LEFT handed drill bit
Old 06-22-2004, 07:38 AM
King of Procrastinators

Banzaitoyota why a left hand drill? Oh, I did manage to get the extractor out--big hammer and pin punch--popped right out. Okay I guess I'll have to weld, well I can't there's nothing to weld to (at least I can file this away on my hard, okay mushy hard drive). What about heating what is left? Now my question is: If I heat the part of the axle where the bolt is located what shrinks first, the bolt or the axle. And if I let it cool, in air or quenching with water, etc, what gives first? Hey, can I ship the axle to one of you guy's and you and get it out for me? Turn-around time about one day huh?
Banzaitoyoa, Franz, MotorDoctor, JohnDeere, Stickman, and Crithpy_Critter thanks for the assistance. I just think I'm getting a little too old to be lying on the ground trying to fix old cars. I'll let you know what happens.
Old 06-22-2004, 08:18 AM

Send a message via AIM to banzaitoyota

90% of the time a left handed drill bit will back a broken bolt right out instead of using an easy out. You have to drill the hole anyway, why not get some work out of it?
Old 06-22-2004, 09:27 AM
King of Procrastinators

banzai . . .

Good point. Never thought of it in quite that manner. Thanks.