Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Blacksmithing & Forming

SFT Search:   

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-27-2018, 05:54 PM

Default New ASO (Anvil Shaped Object)

So I've been a hobby blacksmith for about 12 years now and have collected a few anvils over the years. I have one Peter Wright that I use a lot, and about 4-5 junk anvils that people have given me since they thought I could use them. I do use them as weights and other various uses around the shop but what I've really always wanted a swage block.

Since I'll probably never find one, I've been telling friends to keep their eye out for "large hardware" like excavator pins, train car wheels, bulldozer bucket teeth, or whatever so I could get some different shapes, holes or textures. I haven't had anyone find anything yet, not surprisingly because who really wants to try to put something like that in the trunk of their car or something.

I have a railroad tracks near my house, but deep in the woods on my property, there's an area that I've always suspected was a super old abandoned set of railroad tracks. I've seen old maps of the area and it looks like they moved the tracks a long time ago. This area looks like a raised road of sorts that eventually, hooks up with the current tracks, but is overgrown with large trees now. I suspect it's an old track bed since I've found a few spikes and some very short pieces of track rail buried there with my metal detector before.

Today, I was walking in my woods near that old possible track bed, and found something sticking out of the ground. It took me a while to dig it up and drag it out of the weeds but I think I just found my new swage block alternative!

Here are some pics I took with a gallon jug of bar oil for scale.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	coupler1.jpg
Views:	276
Size:	171.3 KB
ID:	147872   Click image for larger version

Name:	coupler2.jpg
Views:	265
Size:	187.6 KB
ID:	147873   Click image for larger version

Name:	coupler3.jpg
Views:	262