Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Fabrication

SFT Search:   

Old 10-11-2018, 09:58 AM
Elite Member

Default 1 Cubic Yard Concret Mixer

I thought I would start a thread while I am still in the design phase of this project. The truth is I'm not completely confident in my ability to make a machine that provides satisfactory performance. I invite any input as I have little experience with concrete.

We are talking about a bit over 4000 lbs. of concrete here. I have decided to make what is known as a " vertical shaft" or "pan mixer" but with most things that I make there will be a thing or three that will be different.

I have a speed reducer that I think will work well. I will show a picture of that later.

Below is a picture of one that is similar to what I have in mind.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	182
Size:	134.1 KB
ID:	147363  

A technologically advanced society would teach their children how to start a fire by rubbing two sticks together before teaching them how to use a lighter.

Aren't energy consumption and computers supposed to make life less stressful?

If you are not having fun then you are doing it wrong.
Old 10-11-2018, 10:09 AM
Elite Member

All of the mixers of this type that I have seen are driven from the bottom. I plan to drive mine from above. This will give me the ability to remove the power head from one mixing pan to another. These mixing pans will be wheeled trailers that I can tow with my tractor. The idea is I can transport one pan to the work site while the other is mixing.

A technologically advanced society would teach their children how to start a fire by rubbing two sticks together before teaching them how to use a lighter.

Old 10-11-2018, 10:24 AM
Elite Member

I wish the pan to be mounted on the trailer such that it may pivot. This I think will aid in evacuation of concrete by concentrating it to one area by tipping. The plan is to later make a larger pan or box that will mount in the same manner. This larger box will turn this assembly into a dump trailer.

Old 10-11-2018, 10:33 AM

https://youtu.be/fv6wejbqaEE

https://youtu.be/KtPuDUCnErY

https://youtu.be/fPI1Z51Jf7s

http://www.farmersamm.com/
Old 10-11-2018, 10:34 AM
Not to be used as a Flotation Device

I got this one working for a little job.
The military has the TM & repair manual
online for it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	HPIM0478.jpg
Views:	216
Size:	211.1 KB
ID:	147364   Click image for larger version

Name:	HPIM0476.jpg
Views:	184
Size:	208.1 KB
ID:	147365   Click image for larger version

Name:	HPIM0480-low-res.JPG
Views:	179
Size:	94.5 KB
ID:	147366  
Old 10-11-2018, 11:22 AM
Auction Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by threepiece View Post
All of the mixers of this type that I have seen are driven from the bottom. I plan to drive mine from above. This will give me the ability to remove the power head from one mixing pan to another. These mixing pans will be wheeled trailers that I can tow with my tractor. The idea is I can transport one pan to the work site while the other is mixing.
Sounds like an interesting project. Remember mixing time is an important factor in concrete. Too little or too much lessens the concrete strength.

Liberty has never come from Government. Liberty has always come from the subjects of it. The history of liberty is a history of limitations of governmental power, not the increase of it.
Woodrow Wilson
Old 10-11-2018, 11:57 AM

Default mixer

I have been planning on making one myself,I have dimensions that will allow it to be built from one 4x8 steel plate..my design is a 36"diameter circle and a 12"wall section 96"L that has to be rolled to form the wall on top of the 36"circle..there are a lot of videos on u-tube of the 'Bama' brand mixer like the design you describe..One can make a drive arrangement from a pickup truck axle with deep gears to slow the rotation of the mixing paddle..my plan was to use morse chain and gears underneath working with the axle gears to slow the rotation of the mixer and build in torque.Im thinking 5hp should be enough to do it once gear reducted.
Old 10-11-2018, 12:20 PM
Not to be used as a Flotation Device

I have been thinking about not having a whole yard mixed at one time...

I'm thinking more about a small (maybe call it micro) volumetric
cement mixer.

It would hold (or carry) materials for a yard of concrete on board.

It would meter & mix 1 yard in about 10 minutes time.

But keep the bins full, and it would keep spitting out a yard every
10 minutes, for as long as you want.
Old 10-11-2018, 02:29 PM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bunkclimber View Post
I have been planning on making one myself,I have dimensions that will allow it to be built from one 4x8 steel plate..my design is a 36"diameter circle and a 12"wall section 96"L that has to be rolled to form the wall on top of the 36"circle..there are a lot of videos on u-tube of the 'Bama' brand mixer like the design you describe..One can make a drive arrangement from a pickup truck axle with deep gears to slow the rotation of the mixing paddle..my plan was to use morse chain and gears underneath working with the axle gears to slow the rotation of the mixer and build in torque.Im thinking 5hp should be enough to do it once gear reducted.
The size of my pan is 52" diameter and 29" high. I am planning to use 14 ga. sheet steel to make the pan. I expect I won't need to pre roll the sheet metal to fit in two rings. With a 26" radius I believe I can manipulate the sheet by hand. With an 18" radius and plate size steel you are not likely to do that unless you are stronger than I think.

Old 10-11-2018, 04:43 PM

You might want to think about using at least 3/16 if not 1/4" plate. 14 ga won't last long as mixing concrete is very abrasive.
The mixers I repair are 5/16 shells lined with 1/4" AR450. The mixing blades are formed out of 1/2" AR 450.