Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Fabrication

SFT Search:   

Old 04-11-2018, 10:08 PM
Auction Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by arizonian View Post
Not to derail the thread, but that's an interesting concept.

We use letter based revs prior to release to the shop. Once all the signatures are collected, especially the customer's, we go "yellow", Rev 0 and print on yellow paper. Later revs are numeric.

Back to the topic at hand.
I've seen them done both ways. Whichever way it is done, it is important to maintain the same process.

Liberty has never come from Government. Liberty has always come from the subjects of it. The history of liberty is a history of limitations of governmental power, not the increase of it.
Woodrow Wilson
Old 04-12-2018, 12:27 AM
Standard of Excellence

I didn't really understand your problem with the cutters and the base. Here is the stand I will make if I ever need one.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1851.JPG
Views:	142
Size:	38.1 KB
ID:	144453  
Old 04-12-2018, 08:24 AM

You guys and your fancy mag drills making me want to go buy one even though I only have one job for one...

By the way if anyone with one lives near Western Wisconsin and wants to rent it out for a day, let me know! I need to drill some holes in my welding table.
Old 04-12-2018, 08:25 AM
Iron Modification Investigator

Quote:
Originally Posted by milomilo View Post
Had a need to use the mag drill today to drill a 3/4" hole in 1/2" plate. With the riser the mad drill sits on, it is too high for using the annular cutters for small parts down on the extended base. With the drill chuck adapter I made some time ago, it works well since the adapter and drill chuck length is just right to drill parts on the extended base.
Did you add in this riser? It does not seem normal to not be able to use annular cutters.

The virtue is always a cover for the sin. That's the key to understanding the modern left. Whatever they're accusing you of doing, they are doing themselves but more enthusiastically. And that's definitely the story of Justin Trudeau. Tucker Carlson
Old 04-12-2018, 09:29 AM
Not to be used as a Flotation Device

Quote:
Originally Posted by arizonian View Post
Not to derail the thread, but that's an interesting concept.

We use letter based revs prior to release to the shop. Once all the signatures are collected, especially the customer's, we go "yellow", Rev 0 and print on yellow paper. Later revs are numeric.

Back to the topic at hand.
Yes, when I did regular drawing work, we just used letters.

Got into buildings and such work, with large contracts, and subs.

They said, use numbers (for any changes) after the drawings are handed out (for bid).

When the job is awarded, we strip all revision blocks, issue the set as "new".

Then, as the job is progressing, any changes are released with letter revisions.
Old 04-12-2018, 10:03 PM
Auction Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironman View Post
Did you add in this riser? It does not seem normal to not be able to use annular cutters.
The reason for this new riser is to use a annular slug cutter for a small part without taking the mag drill off the "orange" base. When I want to use standard drill with a Jacobs chuck for a small part, no riser is required since the adapter and the Jacobs chuck reach down to the "orange" base. The hole in the 1/2" plate I wanted to be a little more precise, since the hole would be used for an arbor in the lathe.

Liberty has never come from Government. Liberty has always come from the subjects of it. The history of liberty is a history of limitations of governmental power, not the increase of it.
Woodrow Wilson
Old 04-19-2018, 11:48 AM
Auction Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by greywynd View Post
Drill a couple holes, tack bolts into the 4” going down through your base, and a couple wingnuts and it’s be quick to take on and off, and no c-clamps required for that part.

Sent from my iPhone using ShopFloorTalk mobile app
R1 done. It was good advice. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by digr View Post
Looks good!!! You have room for three more cans on the table.
I am in process today clearing off all the spray cans.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walker View Post
I didn't really understand your problem with the cutters and the base. Here is the stand I will make if I ever need one.
The problem was with the adapter for the drill chuck and the extra length of the drill bits. My base is about the same height as yours, just a little different in shape. I made the base primarily to use a standard drill chuck to adjust for the extra length of the drill chuck, longer drills and the adapter. When I use the jig it is only for using the annular cutters, which are shorter, because the stroke on my mag drill is not long enough to reach the base extension.

Woodrow Wilson
Old 04-19-2018, 12:20 PM
I can dig it

With these stands/bases, are you just using the magnet to hold it in place or do you add extra hold downs of some sort?

Old 04-19-2018, 06:31 PM
Auction Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by greywynd View Post
With these stands/bases, are you just using the magnet to hold it in place or do you add extra hold downs of some sort?

The base is bolted to the bench. The jig is bolted to the base.

Woodrow Wilson