Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Blacksmithing & Forming

SFT Search:   

Old 03-03-2018, 06:57 PM
Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oliver Wendell Douglas View Post

The saws I use are old and funky , and photos are are impossible to understand even if you know you're looking at a saw, so I slapped this
together recently :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zeOnQ6To6EE
That's interesting.
Thank you, Dar.

"Dr. Chandran, will I dream?"

Just Keep Walking

"Passionate hatred can give meaning and purpose to an empty life. Thus people haunted by the purposelessness of their lives try to find a new content not only by dedicating themselves to a holy cause but also by nursing a fanatical grievance. A mass movement offers them unlimited opportunities for both."
Eric Hoffer The True Believer 1951
Old 03-05-2018, 04:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutter View Post
That's interesting.
Thank you, Dar.
You betcha !

I had sent pics of those, in their super-modified form, to the guy that made them in their pristine form (the late , great, Lee Marshall, who founded Bonny Doon Engineering) , but the mods made everything look so cluttered that he couldn't make sense of them from the pics. In subsequent years I had posted on Orchid/Ganoksin about the saws a few times, and then recently someone posted about a motorized jewelers saw they had made , so that was the motivation for finally making a quickie vid about mine. I knew that nobody would be able to tell wtf was going on unless the saws were actually sawing .

By comparison, the original RT Saw was this , really not a serious tool at all, i.m.o. , and most people I've talked to agreed . But it's easy to understand from a photo (2 shots of that)

Next (red saw) is the modern Knew Concepts manual saw , also designed by Lee Marshall .

Lastly, a shot of just the table, plus a die , of my motor saw. I did start out with the old RT Saw, but re-built it out of the box, and built a bigger one , before lee and I found each other in the mid-1990's .

DS
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	RT Saw only.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	11.3 KB
ID:	143822   Click image for larger version

Name:	RT Saw .jpg
Views:	69
Size:	185.9 KB
ID:	143823   Click image for larger version

Name:	KC Guide.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	19.8 KB
ID:	143824   Click image for larger version

Name:	motor saw 1.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	158.8 KB
ID:	143825  
Old 03-05-2018, 06:19 AM
I can dig it

Very different and interesting. I have limited bandwidth these days so will have to watch the video when I have better net access.

I had a brother that passed away, he was a geologist, but he did some jewellry work, I could see him enjoying this stuff as well.

Sent from my iPhone using ShopFloorTalk mobile app
Old 03-05-2018, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greywynd View Post
Very different and interesting. I have limited bandwidth these days so will have to watch the video when I have better net access.

I had a brother that passed away, he was a geologist, but he did some jewellry work, I could see him enjoying this stuff as well.

Sent from my iPhone using ShopFloorTalk mobile app
Cool. It's an interesting process. Too low-tech for modern tool & die makers, but definitely an upgrade for people making parts by hand - sawing or cutting with snips or hand shears . There was a niche to be filled, and my obsession and abilities made filling that niche a glaring path of least resistance

ps: not cool that your brother died ! I had a big brother until I was 8 ; I empathize .

Last edited by Oliver Wendell Douglas; 03-05-2018 at 11:42 PM.