Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Blacksmithing & Forming

SFT Search:   

Old 08-12-2013, 06:00 PM

Default harbor freight compact bender....

anybody have one? are they anygood?
Old 08-12-2013, 07:14 PM

I have one and its ok for the price. It really depends on what you want to do with it.

If bending tube is in your plans you will have to buy additional dies for either round or square tube. I've seen the dies starting at about $50 for half inch round and going up from there.

I have used mine for about eight months mostly bending solid rod or strap. There are probably you tube videos on benders maybe even the HF compact.
Old 08-13-2013, 12:01 AM
SFT HVAC Guru

Send a message via AIM to rickairmedic Send a message via MSN to rickairmedic Send a message via Yahoo to rickairmedic

I have had the floor mount version for years and also got the scroll bender attatchment for it and I use the daylights out of it . I will admit its no JD2 but then again its like 1/10th the price if you catch it onsale . I picked up a custom die set last year at a car show I will get the info for it for you tomorrow it will bend several sizes of round and square stock and basically a set of plates that you assemble in differant ways depending on what you are bending .

Rick

Politically Correct : A term used for whiny pu**ies that need sh*t sugar coated .
Old 08-13-2013, 12:32 PM
SFT HVAC Guru

Send a message via AIM to rickairmedic Send a message via MSN to rickairmedic Send a message via Yahoo to rickairmedic

This is the tubing bender I picked up for my horrible freight bender and the guy showed me how to do round tubing with it as well as square it is just a bunch of plates that you assemble in diferant ways depending on the size of stock you are trying to bend .

http://www.metalbendingtool.com/all-...tubing-die-kit

Rick

Politically Correct : A term used for whiny pu**ies that need sh*t sugar coated .
Old 08-13-2013, 12:48 PM
That Man Behind The Curtain

I have had the floor version for several years...

pretty good for bar stock and rod for making brackets but it is no tube bender...
if you need to do tube ..
I would suggest you invest in a JD2 or Hossfeld. for cage work and tubes of that size.. once you try one you will be sold

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain..

The more you Know, The Better you Know, How little you Know (old Estonian saying)

Last edited by H80N; 08-13-2013 at 01:23 PM.