Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Blacksmithing & Forming

SFT Search:   

Old 12-20-2009, 10:48 AM

I guess I have never thought of it before. Usually when it comes to the point of welding a socket, I have gotten to the point of sacrificing the cheapest one I've got. Have never annealed or re hardened them, and never had one break on me. Just regular MIG works fine, but as Ron said some are made of 4330 and would be difficult to weld, but I am too cheap to ruin a nice socket.

"Yes, we did produce a near perfect Republic. But will they keep it? Or will they in their enjoyment of plenty, lose the memory of freedom? Material abundance without character is the surest way to destruction. Indeed, I tremble for my country when I reflect that God is just."

Thomas Jefferson

If you spent 1 million dollars every day from the time Christ walked the earth until now, you still would not have spent 1 trillion dollars!
Old 12-21-2009, 09:05 AM
Elite Member

Jerry,

Because our only slag/chipper hammer disappeared at work, and I got tired of using a screwdriver and hammer, I took an old large Allen wrench, cut the "L" off it and ground a point on it, then used the Mig with ER70S-6 and welded it to the head of an old ball peen hammer. It looks like something only a 5 year old could come up with, but it has taken a pounding and only requires re-pointing every now and then.