Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Blacksmithing & Forming

SFT Search:   

Old 10-27-2009, 12:05 AM
no bull it's huge!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD MAN View Post
Dr Dean, I don't see anything that would not be easily repairable.I would make new links tho and make them equal. You have a lot of dollars in weight. I think you made a good buy.. Our museum has one nearly like it.

I think the FFA boys are looking older and smaller. It will have to be transported to several shows and the contest.

Maybe a H international or a JD two cyl row crop. Lots of the boys are using 2n,8n,9n, and even the Jubilee. If your FFA boys are doing the program they might be interested in the Olivers and you could claim a tax deduction.

They have to break them down to nothing, clean, replace, and repair everything and every piece has to be documented. It is many hours and a lot of work... A guy here has offered to pay the bill if they could find a stylized D and he would get it after they were through. Those boys are making some amazing tractors and if you get a chance, you should go to one of their shows.
I talked to Sid at Little Giant this morning, The spring is wrong and he said that I need to build new toggle links.
Probably the easiest would be a farmall H or C. Parts are plentiful and non running tractors can be found $300-600 range.
I have 2 M's and 1 H. The first M I bought for $400 and put another $800 into it, it would have only been $400 but the previous owner had calcium chloride in the rear tires and I had to replace them.
The second M Was bought for $500 with a bad knock in the engine. We changed the oil ( got all the rain water out of the crankcase) and did a tune up, it runs great now. We have $550 into it.
The H is in the garage now we got it for $500. It's getting a starter and good tune up. Should only have about $600 into it
Old 10-27-2009, 12:39 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to OleDog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Dean View Post
Next project is to find a flat sheet of rubber to go between the hammer and the mounting plate and get the hammer bolted down.
Dr. Dean,
One place place to find rubber matting is at a horse trailer supplier, or farm store. Theirs is usually chopped and molded mat, and I dont know how much they would eventually compress down, but you might look at them. Here, you can get a 4' x 6' - 1/2" mat for around $60.

Do not compute the totality of your poultry population until all the manifestations of incubation have been entirely completed.

Nothing says "Poor Workmanship" like wrinkles in your duct tape!!
Old 10-27-2009, 05:04 AM
Sultan of Scrounge

My brother lives in Iowa and it's amazing how many old
farmalls there are out there. Seems noone wants them because
they sell so cheap .

Nice score on the hammer . If you can find Clifton ralph's
videos he has about two hours worth of tuning these type
hammers up
Old 10-27-2009, 08:56 AM
I fear I'll do some damage one fine day

Default Shock Mounting

Quote:
. Next project is to find a flat sheet of rubber to go between the hammer and the mounting plate and get the hammer bolted down.
Dr D Look in Home Depot. They have squares of thick fairly soft rubber matting which interlock to make garage flooring. You could put four squares together and have a shock mount with enough sticking out for a nice soft place for the operator to stand.

DrBob
Old 10-27-2009, 09:09 AM

2-3-1940 to 3-8-2011
Nobody was faster

Quote:
I talked to Sid at Little Giant this morning, The spring is wrong and he said that I need to build new toggle links.
Probably the easiest would be a farmall H or C. Parts are plentiful and non running tractors can be found $300-600 range.
I have 2 M's and 1 H. The first M I bought for $400 and put another $800 into it, it would have only been $400 but the previous owner had calcium chloride in the rear tires and I had to replace them.
The second M Was bought for $500 with a bad knock in the engine. We changed the oil ( got all the rain water out of the crankcase) and did a tune up, it runs great now. We have $550 into it.
The H is in the garage now we got it for $500. It's getting a starter and good tune up. Should only have about $600 into it
I will tell them about the tractors but it is a long way to go after one.
Old 10-27-2009, 10:26 AM
Voice of Experience

Dr D I think I would put the mat under the plate. Even horse mats might get torn up with the small footprint of the hammer. You should get the same impact absorbing effect and the plate will spread the force over the entire mat..

"If we ever forget that we're one nation under God, then we will
be a nation gone under". ~Ronald Reagan

We should have picked our own cotton...

I love my women hot and my beer ice cold..
Old 10-27-2009, 12:49 PM
American Tools Keep Americans Working

You may want to look at a neoprene vibration isolation pad, http://www.aektechnology.com/bcdi/ma...d%20Series.pdf
Old 10-27-2009, 08:07 PM
Trailers for sale or rent

http://www.tractorsupply.com/equine/...-6-ft--2219003
Old 10-28-2009, 12:04 AM
no bull it's huge!

I looked around work today and found an old unload auger boot laying in the weeds. It's 1/4 inch fiber reinforced rubber. I got the hammer bolted down and trimmed the rubber to match the base. Then I spent 2 hours considering options for putting the wheels on. I think I have it figured out, I've got to get that built then I can start using my hammer. The only reason I need it mobile is my garage/ shop is the basement below the kitchen and living room. I'm pondering putting up a tent or small hoop building out by the bins for my blacksmith shop. I have a pole shed that I'd like to move that would become my shop, but I can't seem to find time to even start that project.
Old 11-02-2009, 01:29 AM
no bull it's huge!

Finished the wheel project up this afternoon. It's a little less than handy but what can be expected for slapping together from materials found laying around. I took my forge, anvil, and the new power hammer out tonight. My youngest daughter and I hammered out a couple of leaves and I started a hammer eye drift. I did take pictures but didn't get them downloaded yet. I did confirm that the lower die needs some work. It's got a lot of wear I think that it can be reground or I'll get my brother to make some new dies. I'll try to get the pictures posted tomorrow.
Old Man I found a Farmall H that could be had for $400. It's got pretty straight tin. Needs an engine overhaul and rear rims.