Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Mechanical & Electrical

SFT Search:

Old 01-03-2024, 09:12 AM
Elite Member

Bosch makes a gliding miter saw that solves the extra footprint problem. I believe Delta makes one as well called a cruzer. I don't know the quality of either item, but I've always had good luck with Bosch stuff.
Old 01-07-2024, 01:20 PM
Twice the size--half the man

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBFab View Post
Bosch makes a gliding miter saw that solves the extra footprint problem. I believe Delta makes one as well called a cruzer. I don't know the quality of either item, but I've always had good luck with Bosch stuff.

Went out shelf shopping yesterday for a bit. The Bosch was highly recommended by the lady at Lowe's--however, they have removed it from their stock and she had no explanation as to why.

They do have a DeWalt 12" sliding, double-compound, marked to $399 from a regular $599. It was some sort of super Christmas sale apparently, because they have 3 pallets full sitting right inside the entrance to the store. After much searching, I was able to find the display model on a shelf. It's just fkn huge. So were all the others they had as well.

A walk through the HD power aisle yielded about the same conclusion. These things are just massive. I did find an empty spot that appeared much smaller, with a tag that indicated a 12" non-sliding option was normally available. They had a handy display in front of each saw that indicated the width of cut at both 90° and 45°. Looks like a normal 12" saw will cut everything I need to do, and then some.

I was unable to buy the 2x8 board I wanted at either store though. I'd decided for the rifle rest project, I could get by with my normal circular saw. The reality is that the only thing I cannot do with it is make the same repeated cut rapidly. LadyD's storage tote project will require at least 24 of the same length supports, 30" or so long. Kinda silly to spend $400 on a saw for that sorta need.

I came back home and we found a plastic shelving unit that holds 10 totes for under $100. Is it instagram cool? No. Is it as durable? Also no. Will it help deplete the pallet of wood I have in my way? More no. Is it something she and the kids can put together, move, and arrange by themselves? Yep. I think I'm gonna buy her two and she'll end up with 20 instead of 12 totes. Also...Lowe's has the best deal on them at a bulk price of $9.99 each when you buy 4 or more if anyone's looking.

Wade's Custom Kydex