Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Fabrication

SFT Search:

Old 12-18-2023, 10:36 PM

Default Storm Shelter Door

I live in Mid Mo in a house with no basement. We are tucked down in a Hollow and been lucky so far. But we have decided to add-on and the plan is to include a grout filled cinder block room in the new garage addition. This will be above ground, but it will be better than hiding in the tub!!

I've started looking at Storm Shelter and Vault Doors but the prices are pretty crazy and so is shipping. Since I've collected "inventory" over the years to the wife's disappointment I'm wondering if I can't build a door? I will likely need some channel and heavy angle for the frame. But I've got some sheets of 10ga, 3/16, a plasma, welder, tractor, and equipment to move 500-600lbs into place.

Ball Bearing Hinges would need purchased.

I also need some help with the locking bolts. I'd prefer some sort of linkage or chain drive that could be retracted from the outside should a kid lock themselves in to or something. My concern is tornadoes, not a safe room against intruders. I'm think a shaft with an exposed hex head through the door you could spin with a tire iron.
Old 12-18-2023, 11:25 PM
Blast this!

In case of collapse have someone you know and trust with your life to know where your shelter is .. Some bottled water ,and a bucket in case someone has to go .
Old 12-18-2023, 11:29 PM
Blast this!

After a 4 hit our plant in 1980 we could not find a civil engineer to touch a shelter . Our local engineers designed it 1 ungrouted wall backed by a grouted wall ,precast roof with 4 inches of heavy rebared top pour . Have not been hit again .
Old 12-19-2023, 02:50 AM

It sounds to me like keeping a sledge hammer inside your shelter would be a good idea just in case you get trapped inside and need to get out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-19-2023, 07:08 AM

here's a FEMA document that might help you or hinder you

or try a google search on FEMA storm shelter drawings. Lots of info out there

john
Attached Files
File Type: pdf combined_320_dwgs_pdf_tag.pdf (12.46 MB, 181 views)
Old 12-19-2023, 09:14 AM
Twice the size--half the man

I wouldn't get too carried away with a whole bunch of weight and fancy linkages. All those things could be a potential problem. I think most of us could fab up something like this storm door fairly easily with the things we've got laying around. Looks like a pretty simple solution.

My grandparents were just south of the LBK '70 tornado. Granny had insisted on having an in-ground shelter when they built their house in '51. Every time a cloud came up, she'd wrangle us all up by the back door waiting to make a run for the yard. Never spent any time in it during a storm, but plenty of summer afternoons "cleaning" and playing down there. As an adult looking back on it's design, that's one of the last places I'd want to be. It had no drainage, limited air vents that could have been easily blocked/flooded, and the out-swinging door had to have a counter-weight just to lift it. Grandaddy had a 4x4 wood post in the ground with a pully mounted and a large ring gear for weight.

I do know that LBK still maintains a list where folks can register their shelters so responders know where to look after a storm.

Wade's Custom Kydex
Old 12-19-2023, 11:00 AM
Master Procrastinator

Never been in an actual tornado.....been close and helped clean up after them. My advice is to stay out of the wind. That means get below ground level on a piece of dirt that's NOT prone to flooding. Overhead protection to keep shit from falling directly on you............and say your prayers if so inclined.
The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion. --St. Mother Teresa
In life it's important to know when to stop arguing with people and simply letting them be wrong.
Old 12-19-2023, 02:51 PM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubby View Post
I wouldn't get too carried away with a whole bunch of weight and fancy linkages. All those things could be a potential problem. I think most of us could fab up something like this storm door fairly easily with the things we've got laying around. Looks like a pretty simple solution.
Thats insane pricing!
Old 12-20-2023, 08:19 AM
Elite Member

Question: Why do so many people (including the idiot that wrote the ad for those doors) call Concrete Blocks, Cinder blocks????? I doubt any one here or for that matter anyone younger than about 60 as ever seen one of those blocks made with cinders.
It isn't any easier to say cinder than concrete, it takes only 2 more letters to spell, I just don't get it.
...lew...
Old 12-20-2023, 09:44 AM
Master Procrastinator

Lew, I have some old concrete blocks laying around and some that I call cinder blocks. There is a difference in their looks, weight and actual thickness. I don't know what they are made of, nor do I care. I use them to sit stuff on to keep it off the dirt.

The blocks I see for sale at Home Depot & Menards, etc. I call cinder block.....why?.....hell, I don't know.
The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion. --St. Mother Teresa
In life it's important to know when to stop arguing with people and simply letting them be wrong.

Last edited by Tim KS; 12-21-2023 at 10:23 AM.