Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Shop & Safety

SFT Search:

Old 01-14-2024, 11:56 AM
Iron Modification Investigator

Quote:
Originally Posted by greywynd View Post
Onterrible was the same, if it was a roof supported by posts or walls, it was taxable as floor space.

Out here I’m still learning the details, but unless you’re agricultural, where I am looks similar, though less strict, as where I was in Onterrible. I suspect that there’s more leniency though, and less snitching and bullshit from neighbours.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Basically in my county, you can build anything you want under 110 sq ft and they don't care about anything. Over that, they want a development permit, unless it is farm related. Then they send a notification to your neighbours. In big black letters it says that "any letters opposing this permit will be shared with the applicant."
This effectively shuts up the malicious neighbor.
We recently bought a cabin 14x30 and hauled it home from auction, and offloaded it. We then reported it to the county. The tax assesor said what will we do with it? We said it is used for accommodation for labor during garlic weeding and harvest. She said "Its farming" A bureaucrat crawled out of it's worm hole and said, No. We need a electric inspection, plumbing and the building inspector. And we have to pay fees.
We did, and called our reeve. He went into killer mode and told them to back off and return our money, and they did.
Get to know your county reeve

When a liberal screams racism, you can bet they were also born with white skin.

Common sense is like deodorant. The people that need it most never use it. Joe Concha
Old 01-14-2024, 01:48 PM
Do I have a life?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironman View Post
Get to know your county reeve
What's a "reeve"? A reviewer?

TA Arcmaster 185 w/tig/stick kit
MillerMatic 252 w/3rd gen 30A
MM140 w/o AS, w/CO2
Hobart (Miller) 625 plasma
Hobart 250ci plasma
Victor O/A (always ready, but bored)
HF 80 lunchbox w/tig
45ACP Black Talons for those stubborn jobs...
Old 01-14-2024, 03:46 PM
I can dig it

Quote:
Originally Posted by mccutter View Post
What's a "reeve"? A reviewer?

Think of a mayor but for a rural area. It’s a title that was used for the elected head of the township where I was in Ontario.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-15-2024, 06:02 PM
Elite Member

Well, the township gave me my building permit easily($50). The county, has been a pita. Seems since I have a septic system, I need the health depts ok first. Since they could not verify by the pic(that I got from them) that my barn was far enough away from the septic system, they had to come out and look. That bumped the price from $50-$200. The lady that came out was very pleasant and she was able to do what she needed to do without me being home from work. She probed and marked my leech lines and determined I was too close as per the 10ft rule. If I moved the barn 3ft towards the woods, I would only be too close to one of the leech lines and she said to apply for a variance, she would recommend they give it to me. Another $50 and a trip to the health board meeting and my variance is granted. Tomorrow I hope to take that paperwork to city hall and file for my building permit($85). Son of a gun!

Moving forward, slowly, but still moving.
Old 02-16-2024, 10:36 AM
Grumpy Bastard

Quote:
Originally Posted by gimpyrobb View Post
Well, the township gave me my building permit easily($50). The county, has been a pita. Seems since I have a septic system, I need the health depts ok first. Since they could not verify by the pic(that I got from them) that my barn was far enough away from the septic system, they had to come out and look. That bumped the price from $50-$200. The lady that came out was very pleasant and she was able to do what she needed to do without me being home from work. She probed and marked my leech lines and determined I was too close as per the 10ft rule. If I moved the barn 3ft towards the woods, I would only be too close to one of the leech lines and she said to apply for a variance, she would recommend they give it to me. Another $50 and a trip to the health board meeting and my variance is granted. Tomorrow I hope to take that paperwork to city hall and file for my building permit($85). Son of a gun!

Moving forward, slowly, but still moving.
Keep all the paperwork approvals, permits, etc. Because the county and
township will not. I had a friend/neighbor who got all the approvals etc. He
was putting up a pole barn but where he wanted to it was between his
property line and a pipeline. So he asked if he could move it closer to the
property line and he got approval from his then neighbor and county. He
kept all the paper work. 2 decades later he has a new neighbor (who is a
dick and nobody likes him.) Complains to the county and wants the barn torn
down. County inspector comes out and says he put up a building without a
permit and has to tear it down, because all the old records are in storage, so
lazy bureaucrat. 8-9 months later and many hearings, he wins. He also sued
the neighbor for costs and won that too.

Oh, here on A-1 ground you need to have all buildings 50' off the line. His
barn is like 35-40 feet off. A few years ago the pipeline added another line
in their easement and they had no issued as he was a few feet clear of the
easement.

"Prepare to defend yourselves."
-- Sergeant Major Basil L. Plumley, Ia Drang Valley
Old 02-16-2024, 11:04 AM
Elite Member

You better believe I will. I have no faith in anyone.

I'm only required to be 10ft from the line, I will be 12ft
Old 02-16-2024, 09:50 PM
Gadget Girl

Wow, this is exciting..

Keep every paper..

Keep them in a place you know where they are..

Here in Town because they know I"m pretty much doing everything myself, they won't sign off on things until I'm done..

Sadly this means having to keep people updated with revisits.. No charge on these..

The building inspector has still not come for a visit.

Sounds like your well on your way..

I'm a huge fan of insulation .. R38 roof and R29 walls. It's more money but it pays off in the long run with easy heating.

I jumped in on the last page but will read from the beginning..

Very nice indeed.

If I defend myself I am attacked.

My meaningless thoughts are showing me a meaningless world.

My attack thoughts are attacking my invulnerability.

I'd like to think of something smart, but I don't want to hurt myself.

My google+ page

DoALL 36"
Another Johnson model J Project
Lathe? Maybe..... 1958 SBL 13"
Yeti Esseti Aka running welder on 3phase.

https://www.shopfloortalk.com/forums...860#post766860
Old 02-17-2024, 10:33 AM
Gadget Girl

So, read thru it all.

I'm excited for you..

Money, money, money..

Today it's a different world out there.

I would offer cash to all the contractors and no one would budge on the job.

One guy took 1000.00 off so that was at least something.

The contractor community here is very tight and everyone knows everyone.

So, if one gets a quote from someone I'm sure they talk about the job with other contractors and some of the contractors will sublet the work to someone who has an open slot.

So you might be paying Jbs, but cmp will show up.

it was 11K for the concrete frost wall and footings.

I was going to do the floor myself so called the concrete guy and he said for the 20yrds it was 4750.00..

I asked here SFT about doing it myself and was diswaded from it.. I talked to my guy and he quoted me 12K..

I told him that I was quoted 4750.00 for the cement from the supplier and all of a sudden the floor went to 8k.

He checked on the quote the cement guy gave me and was just a little mad, he told me about talking with him and I was lucky I did..

Sadly I think I burned that bridge with the cement supplier as I'm sure "he" heard from the contractor.

There is a great video on a complete shop build but "Diesel Creek" on youtube.. His shop is larger but he was dialed in with information.

Not being involved and having good feedback I had to go it alone and learning after the fact " What I should have done"..

I would go with in floor insulation and run the lines for in floor heat and then use geothermal with a little pump/fan assembly to push the 50F water thru the lines all the time.

50F when it's 20F out is warm.. Supplement that 50F is easy for warmer times.

I would also spend the extra on a thicker floor.. The extra expense for 3 or 5 yards is nothing.. Everyone I talked with always complains about the costs.. But then with exuberance say.. It's great you did the extra..

Yes, well damn it, why did you not say that extra 1" of concrete for a 6" floor is only 200.00 more.. Vs 12K for a 5" thick floor. shit birds..

I did not go with in floor heating because I did not know the exact layout of equipment (power hammers) so would have to cut thru the cement and having lines in the floor would have not been good.

here we can not have in floor drains without a lot of extra costly work and permits and yearly inspections.

They have to end in a catch tank with grease traps. Something I would have loved to have installed..

Thing is, it comes back to money and time or both.

I was a lot bummed about the floor concrete because of accuracy compared to the gozintas and welding platforms..

The concrete guys don't care about the items in the room so each piece should be locked into position.. I had 2 days to prep the area for the floor.

This included all the in-floor tubes, mesh, vapor barrier, insulation, etc, etc.

Knowing what I know now I would have cemented them in so they were rock solid and could not be moved by careless workers..

If you mention things to them, they just say.. Yes, yes and do their thing anyhow,

The welding grid which weighed about 350lbs and was leveled in all directions was not level when they left. so had to dig it out.

I would have ran in floor conduit instead of electrical overhead..

At the time it was an after thought, having not been prepared or even thinking about such things and the conduit at the time went from 7.00 to 45.00 a stick for 2".

The next thing is "INSULATION".. I'm so glad I insulated as much as I did.. Wish now I went a little thicker..

But this would have to have happened at the steel building MFG vs at the insulation company.

Bison would have had to move to a larger size roof purlin and sidewall..

I'm 12" thick on the roof and 10" on the sides.. The membrane blocks air penetration.

Plan to build in your " penetrations" for smoke stacks, windows and such..

Also double check any measurements that you want to be exact.

The front lean to was speced with a 12ft garage door but yet Bison only made the middle opening 11'7"

So I had to make the middle beam to get the full 12FT..

My foundation guy pointed out "he could make the front footings the same as the main building"..

this would allow for the front to be made seamless with the main building if I ever decided I wanted to make the building 40X80ft.. vs 40x60'..

Be sure to include all the doors and windows as mentioned..

If you decide you don't want the doors or windows later you will have extra materials to reinforce anything you want to..

When they send the building, there are no extra materials.. They send you the building built to a spec sheet.

They were going to send me the building with the panels cut for the garage doors, the mandoors etc..

I told them "no".. leave them full sheets that way I can customize the building to the configuration I want..

They tried to talke me out of it.. They said I can just order the materials after the fact that I needed when i decided.

I said for how much extra.... Phone fell silent..

I wish now I had accounted for the extra "building pass thru" when the building was made.. They would have included the needed extra pieces of materials as these steel buildings do not make it easy for adding items like smoke stacks and such since the spacing on the purlins is not close.

So everything has to be framed out.. Luckily one of my buddies had some extra materials left over from his building and I bought them from him.

On that note, I wish I had built the smoke stack framing when the building was going up vs now..

Will mean 10X the amount of work now..

Plan, plan, plan.. Tell them everything you "want".. You are buying it.. And once it's been delivered and you sign the sheet.. It's all yours..

If I defend myself I am attacked.

My meaningless thoughts are showing me a meaningless world.

My attack thoughts are attacking my invulnerability.

I'd like to think of something smart, but I don't want to hurt myself.

My google+ page

DoALL 36"
Another Johnson model J Project
Lathe? Maybe..... 1958 SBL 13"
Yeti Esseti Aka running welder on 3phase.

https://www.shopfloortalk.com/forums...860#post766860
Old 02-26-2024, 07:59 PM
Elite Member

Final permit came through today. Just need the ground to dry out now!
Old 02-26-2024, 10:17 PM
Grumpy Bastard

Quote:
Originally Posted by gimpyrobb View Post
Final permit came through today. Just need the ground to dry out now!
Congrats.

"Prepare to defend yourselves."
-- Sergeant Major Basil L. Plumley, Ia Drang Valley